d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Hey P&rd > Are You Pro-islam Or Pro-lgbt Rights?
1234Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 40,847.70
Jun 15 2016 07:12am
You can't be both.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 15 2016 07:13am
I'm against both, just like my orange overlord.
Gold: 28,296.01
Jun 15 2016 07:17am
Apparently a person can't be a Trump supporter and make good posts/threads either
Gold: 2,620.00
Jun 15 2016 07:21am
Pro-LGBT

Islam condemns homosexuality. Christianity condemns homosexuality. Judaism condemns homosexuality. Many ideologies condemn homosexuality.

Your premise is very extreme (you HAVE to pick one or the other), but I do agree think that Western society must come to grips with the fact that the Abrahamic religions (not just Islam) and many other religions just aren't easily assimilating into modern day society.

If religious folk conveniently ignore (or re-interpret) the more out-dated segments in their scripture for the sake of social acceptance or social progress, then that is one method that can help assimilate their religion into Western society. We are seeing this with Christianity in the US.

But by doing this, they are slowly but surely giving up pieces of their scripture and religion. One must now have moral courage to stand up against the majority of Americans that support gay marriage.

This post was edited by ThatAlex on Jun 15 2016 07:42am
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 15 2016 07:26am
Quote (Beowulf @ Jun 15 2016 07:17am)
Apparently a person can't be a Trump supporter and make good posts/threads either

10/10
Jun 15 2016 07:42am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jun 15 2016 08:21am)
Pro-LGBT

Islam condemns homosexuality. Christianity condemns homosexuality. Judaism condemns homosexuality. Many ideologies condemn homosexuality.

Your premise is very extreme (you HAVE to pick one or the other), but I do agree think that Western society must come to grips with the fact that the Abrahamic religions (not just Islam) and many other religions just aren't easily assimilating into modern day society.

If religious folk conveniently ignore (or "re-interpret") the more "out-dated" segments in their scripture for the sake of social acceptance or social progress, then that is one method that can help assimilate their religion into Western society. We are seeing this with Christianity in the US.

But by doing this, they are slowly but surely giving up pieces of their scripture and religion. One must now have "moral courage" to stand up against the majority of Americans that support gay marriage.

First off, being gay in and of itself is not condemned. Homosexual relations are.

Lolwat? Christianity and Judaism are assimilated with modern day society. It would also be necessary to describe what "modern day society" even means. If it means liberal progressivism, the majority of the country disagrees with modern day society.

Religions change for various reasons. Before Martin Luther the Catholic church was the authority for interpreting scripture. I agree with you on the point that the society of the day may get interpretation wrong because of societal standards. For instance, a number of Christian churches are changing their opinion on gay marriage and homosexual relations. They are wrong of course, and anyone who studies the text honestly would come to that conclusion.
Jun 15 2016 07:51am
Quote (IceMage @ 15 Jun 2016 08:42)
First off, being gay in and of itself is not condemned. Homosexual relations are.

True, but they are almost one in the same. How does our society define homosexuality or heterosexuality? By the relationships a person enters.

Lolwat? Christianity and Judaism are assimilated with modern day society.

Well, they mostly have now, after re-interpreting many verses from their scripture, outright ignoring the more barbaric or outdated scripture, or saying certain scripture was written in a certain historical/situational context and that's why it appears so morally outdated. There are many different routes of scriptural assimilation.

It would also be necessary to describe what "modern day society" even means. If it means liberal progressivism, the majority of the country disagrees with modern day society.

In the context of this discussion and topic, most Americans and most of Western society agrees with homosexual marriage and sees homosexuality as morally acceptable.

Religions change for various reasons. Before Martin Luther the Catholic church was the authority for interpreting scripture. I agree with you on the point that the society of the day may get interpretation wrong because of societal standards. For instance, a number of Christian churches are changing their opinion on gay marriage and homosexual relations. They are wrong of course, and anyone who studies the text honestly would come to that conclusion.

Yes, I agree. Christians that are accepting of homosexual relationships are wrong and are not interpreting their holy text in the right way. Christians are slowly changing the way they interpret the Bible to better fit in with society. This is what I've been saying.
Gold: 57.00
Jun 15 2016 08:06am
I pick the one that doesnt throw the other off buildings.
Jun 15 2016 08:06am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jun 15 2016 08:51am)
True, but they are almost one in the same. How does our society define homosexuality or heterosexuality? By the relationships a person enters.

Well, they mostly have now, after re-interpreting many verses from their scripture, outright ignoring the more barbaric or outdated scripture, or saying certain scripture was written in a certain historical/situational context and that's why it appears so morally outdated. There are many different routes of scriptural assimilation.

In the context of this discussion and topic, most Americans and most of Western society agrees with homosexual marriage and sees homosexuality as morally acceptable.

Yes, I agree. Christians that are accepting of homosexual relationships are wrong and are not interpreting their holy text in the right way. Christians are slowly changing the way they interpret the Bible to better fit in with society. This is what I've been saying.

It's an important distinction. A person with gay feelings should not feel as if they are sinning simply for experiencing those feelings.

Christian theology didn't get created yesterday. You can point to ignorant people throughout history but it's not as if 100 years ago Christians decided that Levitical law didn't apply to them. We have the benefit of being in the information age, people 100, 200, 500 years ago weren't so lucky.

That's true, I didn't realize it was a majority. Still, a large percentage of Americans don't agree with gay marriage or homosexual relations, and the idea that people with those beliefs aren't a part of modern society is just silly.

This post was edited by IceMage on Jun 15 2016 08:11am
Jun 15 2016 08:17am
Quote (IceMage @ 15 Jun 2016 09:06)
It's an important distinction. A person with gay feelings should not feel as if they are sinning simply for experiencing these feelings.

Christian theology didn't get created yesterday. You can point to ignorant people throughout history but it's not as if 100 years ago Christians decided that Levitical law didn't apply to them. We have the benefit of being in the information age, people 100, 200, 500 years ago weren't so lucky.

That's true, I didn't realize it was a majority. Still, a large percentage of Americans don't agree with gay marriage or homosexual relations, and the idea that people with those beliefs aren't a part of modern society is just silly.

I never said people who hold those beliefs can't be a part of modern society. They obviously are, and the tyranny of the majority is certainly something to always look out for. Just because a majority thinks something doesn't mean it is right. You know this, I'm just assuring you that I understand this concept, too.

What I am saying is that holding many traditional religious values that are rooted in scripture is becoming increasingly more difficult in Western society. It's a battle that I think Christians are losing with themselves in America. I think a large percentage of millennial Christians support homosexual marriage. It's probably only going to increase with time.

Three different methods that followers of Abrahamic religions can use to better assimilate their scripture into Western society are: re-interpret many verses from their scripture rather than directly interpret the scripture, outright and conveniently ignore the more barbaric or outdated scripture, or by saying certain scripture was written in a certain historical/situational context and that's why it appears so morally outdated or abhorrent to outsiders.

I think employing those three main methods, in combination with cultural assimilation, will help religions and religious people assimilate into Western society as time progresses. It's a process that has already been occurring for a long time.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1234Next
Closed New Topic New Poll