d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Mass Shootings And Social Contagion > Implications For Media And Consumption
Prev12348Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 15 2016 11:11am
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 15 2016 12:06pm)
I was watching news coverage on CNN yesterday and it constantly showed different pictures of the shooter... I just don't understand it. I'm not surprised Anderson did that, he's a solid news host.

I'll read the actual thread later... Geez.

Yeah, CNN in general is shit, but Cooper is a standout journalist, and the one wheat kernel in a field of chaff.

He's also gay, so I can see how this would affect him on a personal level more than other journalists. There's a reporter for a local TV station who is lesbian, and who put out a pretty heartfelt response to the Orlando attack a couple days ago: http://www.kare11.com/entertainment/television/programs/breaking-the-news/shortal-in-the-face-of-evil-love-will-win/242732440
Gold: 9.99
Jun 15 2016 12:19pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 15 2016 12:54pm)
Too long. might read later.

:wub:

Quote (Beowulf @ Jun 15 2016 01:03pm)
Perhaps I am in the minority but I'm always surprised with how few mass shootings there are.

With as many people, guns, and general shittiness there are in this country and the world around us I would expect way more mass violence than there is.

There were plenty of people out there killing in large numbers before tvs and the 24 hour news cycle.

I'm pretty burnt out on bans/laws talk every time something tragic happens and I don't think regulating how the news is delivered is going to stop crazy any more than gun grabbing and walls/bans would

I think you might definitely be in the minority there, but I don't know. Definitely so if I were to just consider my own anecdotal experience and the perception I feel those around me have with respect to the number of mass shootings.

And bans/laws are only one possible option too.
Jun 15 2016 12:22pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Jun 15 2016 05:03pm)
I've made a similar argument before, regarding how the media plasters the name and face of the perpetrators all over the 24-hour news cycle. This leads to other potential killers seeing a way to go out "in a blaze of glory", so to speak, and the cycle continues. I have to hand it to Anderson Cooper...he did a 2-hour special on the Orlando attack, and didn't use the killer's name, or show his face, a single time. Kudos to him for taking a principled stand.

I agree! The segment that Anderson did the other day was wonderful. Not only did he not use the shooter's name and photo, but he expressly told people that they would not be sharing that during the segment, and that his name and photo has been "shared too much already".

Really applaud Anderson and CNN for doing that. For those curious:

Jun 15 2016 12:25pm
Quote (brmv @ Jun 15 2016 01:08pm)
very much falls into the tl;dr category especially with so many quotes and statistics thrown in
having said that, i did read your words and scanned over some of the rest

the potential self-profiling (ie 15 minutes of fame) effect committing a 'memorable' act has been raised quite often before and it has been proposed not to release the names of those to avoid glorification (and thereby reduce potential copying)
unfortunately the media are hungry to sensationalise everything and some exploit the 'any media coverage is good' principle, as exemplified by pictures of beheadings by terrorist groups but also the ongoing american election campaign

but specific to mass shootings, the media reporting also emphasises how easy it is to obtain the necessary 'tools'
there are a lot more comments which could be made but let this be it for the moment

For sure, and I think the media should do reports on mass shootings, especially as it pertains to stories regarding things like the relative ease of access of weaponry, etc.

Where I disagree though is on the whole "any media coverage is good" thing, and that there are certain ethical responsibilities that the media should practice, and this includes being cognizant of anything that contributes to copycats.
Jun 15 2016 12:27pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Jun 15 2016 05:06pm)
That's fucking fantastic. I love that dude.

The problem is that there's literally no way that this could ever be enforced, and we've got 'media outlets' whose entire job is making up bullshit stories in order to outrage people (i.e. National Report or Daily Currant) and so there's definitely going to be some places that are going to leap at the chance to put up shrines to the latest mass shooter coz they'll have an 'exclusive scoop' or w/e.

It's a lovely idea tho, and I'm always heartened when someone like Cooper is classy enough to pay heed.

Do you think that there's the potential, and perhaps the ethical obligation, that we as consumers and spreaders of media ought to not contribute to making shooters famous?
Gold: 63,142.89
Jun 15 2016 12:35pm
The news media are businesses and should have the freedom to chase ratings. It is not their responsibility to protect people's health and safety. If it were the responsibility of business to limit their profits in order to benefit public and health safety, then fast food should not be allowed to exist.

The responsibility of protecting health lies with the consumer. If people choose to consume nothing but utter crap (like KFC or CNN) then that's their choice and they can go down in flames for it.

This post was edited by kayeto on Jun 15 2016 12:35pm
Gold: 0.00
Jun 15 2016 12:41pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jun 15 2016 01:27pm)
Do you think that there's the potential, and perhaps the ethical obligation, that we as consumers and spreaders of media ought to not contribute to making shooters famous?

Oh, absolutely. With the rise of the Internet, social media, and the citizen journalist, we certainly have a responsibility as well in this regard. But the public media needs to set the example, here, as they're the ones making money off the reporting.
Gold: 4.77
Jun 15 2016 03:51pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ 15 Jun 2016 13:41)
Oh, absolutely. With the rise of the Internet, social media, and the citizen journalist, we certainly have a responsibility as well in this regard. But the public media needs to set the example, here, as they're the ones making money off the reporting.

Fryliveherenomore.jpg
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Jun 15 2016 04:24pm
My news outlet is pard so you guys are to blame if I shoot up a place
Jun 15 2016 04:46pm
Quote (kayeto @ Jun 15 2016 06:35pm)
The news media are businesses and should have the freedom to chase ratings. It is not their responsibility to protect people's health and safety. If it were the responsibility of business to limit their profits in order to benefit public and health safety, then fast food should not be allowed to exist.

The responsibility of protecting health lies with the consumer. If people choose to consume nothing but utter crap (like KFC or CNN) then that's their choice and they can go down in flames for it.

The news media may be a business, but isn't there some level of journalistic ethics that should be demonstrated in cases where it can be shown the shooter proliferation in media translates to inspiring other shooters? Isn't the media supposed to be the people's watchdog?

I do agree with you though, that it is largely our responsibility to be conscientious of the media we consume.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12348Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll