d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > Adding A Block Feature > To Discourage Harassment And Trolling
12Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 2,858.66
Jun 2 2016 10:43pm
I'd like to suggest an option that allows people to block certain users from seeing and replying to their posts, exactly like facebook has.

Given the amount of trolling that takes place, as well as harassment and rude/profane behavior, I believe a block feature would benefit the community. It would allow users to block known/suspected scammers,
filter out people known to post unwanted spam, prevent long off-topic threads of personal attacks, discourage petty juvenile behavior, and make new users feel safer, more comfortable and welcome to participate in JSP forums.

New users would be more likely to contribute to the site. It would make JSP a more trusted and safe place - that if they were trolled, harassed, or scammed, they could take actions to prevent it by the click of a
'block' button.

I believe it would make JSP more enjoyable for all, as well as increase membership (and keep members from being discouraged by petty behavior and leaving the community.)

I'm positive after all these years that a block feature has been suggested, though to my knowledge it has not been implemented.

Thanks for your time JSP

All the best

Thoth

Gold: 60.00
Jun 3 2016 12:17am
Flaw is if you block a user you can't pm for a transaction of any kind so they shouldn't be allowed to send you forum gold imo

I don't think we need to go to the extreme of not allowing then to post in topics of said user but no reason to be able to send fg
Jun 3 2016 12:29am
Quote (Ulm @ Jun 3 2016 01:17am)
Flaw is if you block a user you can't pm for a transaction of any kind so they shouldn't be allowed to send you forum gold imo

I don't think we need to go to the extreme of not allowing then to post in topics of said user but no reason to be able to send fg

You would not be able to send or receive gold from users you have blocked. You would not even see them.

This post was edited by Thoth on Jun 3 2016 12:34am
Gold: 5,500.00
Trader: Trusted
Jun 3 2016 08:48am
It has been suggested and denied every time.
Exemple here: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70086951&f=258
Or here: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=68814450&f=258 - Denied by a Moderator in this topic.

If a person make an inappropriate post report it and move on. It will be review by the Moderators and actions will be taken if needed.
The only inability available to post in a few subforums is because of the warn.
However, in my eyes, this kind of suggestion is not going to happen sorry.
Gold: 109.00
Jun 3 2016 09:04am
Quote (Nico @ Jun 3 2016 10:48am)
Or here: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=68814450&f=258 - Denied by a Moderator in this topic.

If a person make an inappropriate post report it and move on. It will be review by the Moderators and actions will be taken if needed.

Actions wont be taken the majority of time. I sometimes wonder if they even check the reports.

This post was edited by UkrainianProtein on Jun 3 2016 09:05am
Jun 3 2016 11:02am
Quote (Nico @ Jun 3 2016 09:48am)

It's not as if it's a terrible idea. I'm not sure I see the cons, whereas the pros benefit the community and the site admins/owners.

If users felt more in control of their JSP experience they would:
-Be more likely to purchase forum gold
-Be more likely to donate to the website
-Be more active and promote the community.
Gold: 5,500.00
Trader: Trusted
Jun 3 2016 11:24am
Quote (Thoth @ 3 Jun 2016 06:43)
I'd like to suggest an option that allows people to block certain users from seeing and replying to their posts, exactly like facebook has.

Given the amount of trolling that takes place, as well as harassment and rude/profane behavior, I believe a block feature would benefit the community. It would allow users to block known/suspected scammers,
filter out people known to post unwanted spam, prevent long off-topic threads of personal attacks, discourage petty juvenile behavior, and make new users feel safer, more comfortable and welcome to participate in JSP forums.

New users would be more likely to contribute to the site. It would make JSP a more trusted and safe place - that if they were trolled, harassed, or scammed, they could take actions to prevent it by the click of a
'block' button.

I believe it would make JSP more enjoyable for all, as well as increase membership (and keep members from being discouraged by petty behavior and leaving the community.)

I'm positive after all these years that a block feature has been suggested, though to my knowledge it has not been implemented.

Thanks for your time JSP

All the best

Thoth

To answer to your previous post, on facebook maybe you have this possibility but here it's not FB.
It's something where you normally post private things, here it's a gaming and trading community. Personally I don't want to see any "things" that you find on fb on this site. And I don't understand how both can be compared.
As I said above, warn already give a reduction of possibility to post in some subforum.
A person is spamming or flaming you? You report him with the button, you move on, and Moderators are here to take care of them.

I don't see in what it could make a better or safer place. If you don't feel safe to trade with someone don't trade or if you want to trade safely use a Mediator.
And in my eyes this would change nothing in the wish or not, to buy fg, donate to the site.

Quote (UkrainianProtein @ 3 Jun 2016 17:04)
Actions wont be taken the majority of time. I sometimes wonder if they even check the reports.

It's not because you don't see a warn on the profil after a report that nothing is done.

This post was edited by Nico on Jun 3 2016 11:25am
Gold: 109.00
Jun 3 2016 11:26am
Quote (Nico @ Jun 3 2016 01:24pm)
To answer to your previous post, on facebook maybe you have this possibility but here it's not FB.
It's something where you normally post private things, here it's a gaming and trading community. Personally I don't want to see any "things" that you find on fb on this site. And I don't understand how both can be compared.
As I said above, warn already give a reduction of possibility to post in some subforum.
A person is spamming or flaming you? You report him with the button, you move on, and Moderators are here to take care of them.

I don't see in what it could make a better or safer place. If you don't feel safe to trade with someone don't trade or if you want to trade safely use a Mediator.
And in my eyes this would change nothing in the wish or not, to buy fg, donate to the site.

I can't see how this would be bad, to be able to block someone you don't like to post in your thread. Mods don't do anything, you can report person X many times and nothing will be done unless he is talking about bots, saying some racist stuff, or posting something that really shouldn't be posted. You have full control over your thread.

This post was edited by UkrainianProtein on Jun 3 2016 11:29am
Jun 3 2016 11:58am
Quote (Nico @ Jun 3 2016 12:24pm)

It's not because you don't see a warn on the profil after a report that nothing is done.

Not convinced at all. I don't see any good reason here not to add a block feature. Because facebook has a block feature jsp shouldn't? You've have to explain that one.

Warn doesn't discourage anything, and i've never seen any action taken via 'report post'

if anything, site admins could save themselves time by adding a block feature. Then they wouldn't have to sift through all the 'reports'.

Feeling unsafe - as the poster above said, racist trolling is just one aspect. Should non-white members have to endure racist comments and derogatory attacks? When it could be solved with the push of a block button.

This post was edited by Thoth on Jun 3 2016 11:59am
Jun 3 2016 12:05pm
To reiterate, here are benefits to the community as I see it

-user will feel safer (for example, from rascist trolling and hate speech)
-safer users = more members, longer duration of membership
-discourage trolling and harrassment.
-allows users to control their jsp experience better
-prevent and decrease scamming.
-Happier members who feel in control will be more likely to contribute, purshace forum gold, and donate (whereas harassment and petty behavior makes people leave)

I haven't seen one valid argument presented as to why JSP should not add a block feature. I hope people who vote 'NO' take the time to explain. (I only added the poll because I followed the
site suggestions. Many who vote 'NO' probably know they would be blocked, therefore the Poll is meaningless. Other than fear of being blocked, is there another reason oppose adding a block feature?

I hope those with a valid argument take the time to leave it.

please list the cons if you believe there are some.

This post was edited by Thoth on Jun 3 2016 12:14pm
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
12Next
Closed New Topic New Poll