d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > 100% Noob
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 30%
Jun 8 2016 12:18pm
Quote (bensaysthx @ Jun 7 2016 08:40pm)
:rofl:

:unsure:
Gold: 761.37
Jul 16 2016 05:12pm
Keep in mind that alot of online tutorial videos will rush through things and you'll find yourself just copying code instead of actually understanding why they coded it that way in the first place.

I mean when its simple things like the "Hello World!" program, the tutorials cover it pretty well because there isn't much substance to it.

But as you start getting into more complicated things the people will just be like "OBVIOUSLY we have to write a for loop to iterate 374 times and have each iteration check the 8 adjacent tiles to see if more than 60% of them are a passage and if so then we'll turn half of them into a passage, but, let's make sure its only the tiles in the middle. Then obviously we need to keep track of all the passage coordinates in a list of 2d arrays and do a check to see if all of our passage ways are big enough for the player to go through" and you're just sitting there like "....um.... why did we have to iterate it 374 times?, how come we had to check 8 tiles? how the fuck do i even make it check if 60% of them are a passage, how do i check if they are in the middle? how the fuck do I keep track of all these coordinates and check them... I barely understand what a 2d array is" you'll be able to figure alot of it out by watching the people code, but, it's alot easier when someone takes the time to explain WHY they are doing the things they are doing.

I find that if I watch a video thats 20 minutes long and the guy accomplished alot of things in that 20 minutes, it's usually because they werent explaining a whole lot along the way.

I watched some unity/ c# videos where the guy went through every little thing he did and showed how he found the references he needed and stuff like that. its probably not applicable to your situation but try to find some in depth videos like that, otherwise youll just be using someone elses code and wont have any idea how to modify it to your needs or you won't be able to troubleshoot errors you made along the way. Those videos took a while to accomplish things that don't really take very long to do, but, it was worth the time.

And fyi I was just making up the scenario above. That passage creation logic would probably be terrible, if it even worked at all haha. I don't really know a whole lot about coding, I'm in the process of learning too. I also dont know anything about python. I just know that bad tutorials leave me more confused than when I started watching them.

also in the android store there are some pretty cool coding apps. I think they are named like "Learn Python", "Learn C#" etc...

They kind of rush through things a bit but there's alot of basic info there.

This post was edited by Bloop on Jul 16 2016 05:18pm
Gold: 2,749.09
Warn: 20%
Jul 16 2016 07:20pm
Quote (Ideophobe @ May 25 2016 05:43pm)
if you want to make a game learn c++ instead
python's cute... but learn c++

this advice could only be worse if he suggested learning Ook

stick with python
Gold: 7,528.30
Jul 18 2016 02:15am
pm me I'll show you what you need