d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Capital In The Twenty-first Century > Thomas Piketty
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 969.00
May 21 2016 02:35pm

Is it worth reading it (must-read?) or is it a waste of time?

And if not, are there better books which are treating the "unequal distribution of wealth" much better than Piketty does?

Detailed answers would be helpful. :)
Gold: 0.00
May 21 2016 02:42pm
Yeah.
Gold: 63,142.89
May 21 2016 02:54pm
Gold: 2,407.00
May 21 2016 04:57pm
I didn't read it and I'm doing just fine.
Gold: 7,525.35
May 21 2016 05:32pm
Its a supremely flawed book thats drawn criticism on a plethora of things across the board, but nonetheless is touted on high by hyper-leftists because its "an apology for the use of state coercion to take property away from some people who supposedly have too much," and primarily focuses on 'inequality' through a politicized lens of radical left bias.

Paul Krugman thinks its the best thing since sliced bread, so that should tell you the sphere this book is floating in.

For example its drawn criticism for:
Thomas Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century has been widely debated on theoretical grounds, yet continues to attract acclaim for its historically-infused data analysis. In this study we conduct a closer scrutiny of Piketty's empirics than has appeared thus far, focusing upon his treatment of the United States. We find evidence of pervasive errors of historical fact, opaque methodological choices, and the cherry-picking of sources to construct favorable patterns from ambiguous data. Additional evidence suggests that Piketty used a highly distortive data assumption from the Soviet Union to accentuate one of his main historical claims about global “capitalism” in the 20th century. Taken together, these problems suggest that Piketty’s highly praised and historically-driven empirical work may actually be one of the book’s greatest weaknesses.

Full paper at the link: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2543012

From Robert Murphy:

Piketty’s mistakes were not random. No, he used his convenient errors in order to spin a narrative about coldhearted pro-business Republican presidents, in contrast to the Democratic heroes of the workers (namely FDR, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama).

Conclusion

It is ironic when you think about it. When Piketty’s book first came out, even leftist economists admitted there were major, fundamental problems with the theory underlying it. (See for example my discussions of Brad DeLong and then Larry Summers’ reviews of Piketty.) But everybody agreed that Piketty’s empirical work was top-notch.

Now that more and more critics are reporting that Piketty’s book is riddled with errors and questionable moves in its treatment of historical facts, ranging from the ridiculous to the subtle, his apologists fall back on, “Well, even if you put aside those problems, the book’s conclusions still stand.”

So yes, if you throw out Piketty’s underlying theory, and the empirical evidence that supposedly verified it, then Piketty’s book is still a great thing–because it demonizes the rising power of the rich and calls for massive income and capital taxes. It’s refreshing that this truth has been rendered so plain over the past 9 months since the book came out.

https://www.mises.ca/the-quick-summary-of-my-paper-with-magness-on-piketty

Thomas Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century was hailed by fashionable opinion upon its release. But it turns out that the author massaged his data, pulled numbers out of thin air, and rewrote history to conform to his biases.
- Tom Woods

If you are interested and have the extra free time and access to the book to read it, its sometimes worth understanding the oft-flawed places modern leftist ideologues are coming from. I would just double check literally anything he says before accepting it as fact.
Gold: 285.00
May 21 2016 05:45pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ May 21 2016 06:32pm)
Its a supremely flawed book thats drawn criticism on a plethora of things across the board, but nonetheless is touted on high by hyper-leftists because its "an apology for the use of state coercion to take property away from some people who supposedly have too much," and primarily focuses on 'inequality' through a politicized lens of radical left bias.

Paul Krugman thinks its the best thing since sliced bread, so that should tell you the sphere this book is floating in.

For example its drawn criticism for:

Full paper at the link: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2543012

From Robert Murphy:

https://www.mises.ca/the-quick-summary-of-my-paper-with-magness-on-piketty

- Tom Woods

If you are interested and have the extra free time and access to the book to read it, its sometimes worth understanding the oft-flawed places modern leftist ideologues are coming from. I would just double check literally anything he says before accepting it as fact.

So you disagree with the premise that the rate of return on capital is greater than the rate of economic growth?

How do you explain all the apparent inequality and the amassing of all wealth by a small group of people?

To OP: it is worth reading if you really like economics. It is the most important or relevant thing to come out of the science in awhile I think. People made a big deal about Freakonomics, but frankly it is overrated and pop culture stuff. This stuff is real whether you agree with or not as Cam suggests. Given the for-profit nature of everything, you should really have a high litmus test for anything you read or see nowadays that is bought and sold because if there is financial incentive to lie there will be lies.

Krugman likes it, and he is the greatest living economist today. But it is very biased toward the Left, again, as Cam suggests.

This post was edited by Skinned on May 21 2016 05:48pm
Gold: 17,384.69
May 21 2016 05:48pm
you read that:

Thomas Piketty or gamble on a capitalism with a human face

Judging by its huge success in the United States, the latest book by Thomas Piketty is well timed. Taking its title from Karl Marx, it details a phenomenon - soaring inequality in Western countries - that is growing pointed out problem. But where Marx hoped that a social revolution would transform the world, Piketty imagine a world global tax on capital will reform it.

sry google translate
edit: fixed.
https://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/2014/08/JACOBY/50690

then you imagine how the inegalitarian guy 2th post above is mad (loled much)

now you read the book

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on May 21 2016 05:53pm
May 21 2016 05:52pm
@Cam: I'm not in agreement with the answer to the problem he proposes, which is a global tax system, which seems very iffy to me. But I accept his premises that inequality is a feature of capitalism and that it is seriously undermining democratic life, and that there is widespread discontent with this, whether or not people are aware of the source of their discontent.

Trying to preempt the totalitarian thing lol

This post was edited by Skinned on May 21 2016 05:53pm
Gold: 8,933.00
May 21 2016 06:10pm
LMAO, TIL Krugman is the greatest living economist, and not an often-wrong shitty columnist with a popularity award.
May 21 2016 06:16pm
Quote (Santara @ May 21 2016 07:10pm)
LMAO, TIL Krugman is the greatest living economist, and not an often-wrong shitty columnist with a popularity award.

Lol I was totally casting lines there.

He is the only living economist anybody has heard of :lol:

He actually wrote my intro to macroeconomics book.

This post was edited by Skinned on May 21 2016 06:23pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll