d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > ++ New Events ++
Prev1208209210211212855Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 163,001.58
Trader: Trusted
Mar 8 2018 10:42pm
Quote (BWConformity @ 9 Mar 2018 05:10)
I think that's just the easiest way to bring people back to the game. I actually think that the reason Paul hasn't implemented a lot of the suggestions is that they're just difficult to code. I'm pretty sure he would have done some of them now if he could :)

Hm why remove people from the game from the first part? xD
When the game had 400 player base and then something were removed and suddenly it were like 50% less people playing. Then something else were removed from the game and another 50% players stopped playing.
If i were a game developer i would think im doing something wrong. But then again, it's hard to admit you did something wrong and don't want to change back. Even harder IRL to do so. On the internet it shouldn't be that hard imo.

Quote (BWConformity @ 9 Mar 2018 05:15)
You really think he's not looking at what people request in this thread and then giving it to them? Pretty much every other event is extremely similar to something someone just requested prior :P

I actually think he kind of made that 89% monster difficulty event for me, because I requested monster difficulty trapdoors, but coding that I'm sure isn't super easy.

He made slush's event right before that. Dan requested a couple events before that--seems like he granted those wishes too :P

It's easy to please a player base of 20 in a game :P Harder to make 400 people happy, or even thousands. But that's a different story. You can't make all players in your game happy 24/7. There are always negative people who complain about everthing. But as long as you have a high amount of player base and most of the people are happy not much you can do. Just listen to the community and try implement stuff and if you make 100 people happy but 50 people gets sad. so be it :)
Better that then the opposite.
Gold: 72,218.00
Mar 8 2018 10:55pm
Quote (BWConformity @ Mar 8 2018 07:10pm)
I love both you guys, but I don't think this part of the game needs a fix... and I'm a solo player :P If you are finding yourself needing to shrine or use regen gear, that means the game is actually challenging you, or at the very least, that improving your playstyle/gear/etc, can actually improve the quality of your gameplay. If you can continuously kill things without having to run out of life/mana in this game (kind of like what happens in whistle-1-71s), where is the challenge, and what do you need better gear for?

I think that's just the easiest way to bring people back to the game. I actually think that the reason Paul hasn't implemented a lot of the suggestions is that they're just difficult to code. I'm pretty sure he would have done some of them now if he could :)

Your point is that by removing the time spent waiting in town to regain life/mana removes the challenge from the game?

Then the game had no challenge to begin with. Afking is not hard. If regenning is an integral part of the experience then it needs to be more engaging than...just waiting in town

This post was edited by Altrdwolf on Mar 8 2018 10:58pm
Gold: 19.63
Warn: 30%
Mar 8 2018 11:04pm
Quote (RistVaLL @ Mar 9 2018 02:28am)
If it randomly gets 52% we all know he wasnt watching!

There are plenty of variables. If we get another suffusencing x experience again in a row that's pretty convincing but not quite empirical
Members++
Gold: 495,158.21
Mar 8 2018 11:05pm
Quote (Bob888 @ 9 Mar 2018 06:04)
There are plenty of variables. If we get another suffusencing x experience again in a row that's pretty convincing but not quite empirical

like we had cooking stuff 2-3 events in a row and show up 2 events later again without anyone asking, ^^

ppl have been asking for xp event for like a month, none of them have been showing up yet ^^ (unless class -xp)

This post was edited by RistVaLL on Mar 8 2018 11:06pm
Gold: 16,378.27
Mar 8 2018 11:17pm
Quote (Altrdwolf @ Mar 9 2018 12:55am)
Your point is that by removing the time spent waiting in town to regain life/mana removes the challenge from the game?

Then the game had no challenge to begin with. Afking is not hard. If regenning is an integral part of the experience then it needs to be more engaging than...just waiting in town

Just to clarify, time spent in town waiting to regen life and mana is not the challenge. It's the bad stuff that happens to you when you fail to overcome the challenge :P

Quote (n1ghtm4r3 @ Mar 9 2018 12:42am)
Hm why remove people from the game from the first part? xD
When the game had 400 player base and then something were removed and suddenly it were like 50% less people playing. Then something else were removed from the game and another 50% players stopped playing.
If i were a game developer i would think im doing something wrong. But then again, it's hard to admit you did something wrong and don't want to change back. Even harder IRL to do so. On the internet it shouldn't be that hard imo.

It's easy to please a player base of 20 in a game :P Harder to make 400 people happy, or even thousands. But that's a different story. You can't make all players in your game happy 24/7. There are always negative people who complain about everthing. But as long as you have a high amount of player base and most of the people are happy not much you can do. Just listen to the community and try implement stuff and if you make 100 people happy but 50 people gets sad. so be it :)
Better that then the opposite.

In my opinion, Paul doesn't measure the success of this game by the player base. This game is unique, even in its genre. If not a lot of people like playing the game the way it is, that actually makes it even more special. It probably won't be replicated because the developer would go broke. If Paul needed Ladder Slasher to produce substantial economic gains and/or growth every quarter, there would be no more Ladder Slasher, or it would have to be a different kind of game altogether. Luckily, Paul doesn't, so this game can persist in more or less the form that Paul likes it. I think it's pretty awesome to be honest... if only 19 other people play it, then that's cool too. It's not like Paul's offering you lvl 55s with high EE for a premium amount of FG to the forum bank like those needy devs for other games do :P

Quote (Altrdwolf @ Mar 9 2018 01:21am)
The problem here is that you, inevitably, are forced to town at some point. So at some point you are going to be penalized for...just playing.
What I mean is, poor play is not the only thing that is punished. All play is inevitably punished if the punishment is meant to be wasting your time.

Sorry for adding your pm to your quote it felt relevant.

No worries about adding the PM, that's fair game. Try not to think of it like you are being penalized for playing. You are being penalized less the better you get, as long as all else is equal :)

This post was edited by BWConformity on Mar 8 2018 11:28pm
Mar 8 2018 11:21pm
Quote (BWConformity @ Mar 8 2018 08:17pm)
Just to clarify, time spent in town waiting to regen life and mana is not the challenge. It's the bad stuff that happens to you when you fail to overcome the challenge :P

You're missing the point. Indication of failure is not important because of the indication; rather if you play badly, you should suffer a negative consequence for playing badly. The bad thing that happens to you, is that you are now sent to the corner with your regen gear on and you can't play for a while because you suck lol. Next time, you're gonna try to not suck, cuz you don't want to go sit in the corner with your regen gear again. There's a negative consequence for reducing the challenge too... no good drops when you skip the challenge and then just whistle climb ... but then people don't seem to put 2 and 2 together on that point

The problem here is that you, inevitably, are forced to town at some point. So at some point you are going to be penalized for...just playing.
What I mean is, poor play is not the only thing that is punished. All play is inevitably punished if the punishment is meant to be wasting your time.

Gold: 15,295.17
Mar 8 2018 11:32pm
Quote (RistVaLL @ Mar 8 2018 08:05pm)
like we had cooking stuff 2-3 events in a row and show up 2 events later again without anyone asking, ^^

ppl have been asking for xp event for like a month, none of them have been showing up yet ^^ (unless class -xp)

At this point the only way to really confirm if he's actually answering requests to some events is to get some feedback directly from him. I know I dont frequent the forums as much as some, but I cant recall ever seeing him post anything.

I have been here for years, and I'll hopefully be here for years to come and the way I see it is hope for Paul Jr to take up programming and take the torch and take LS to the next level
Even Eugene Roddenberry took a while to see the light of his fathers vision, listen to the fans and take the reigns.
All we can hope for is the light to be seen, a Hooli buyout, or a flame under someone's ass the size of a bonfire.
Gold: 248,047.40
Mar 8 2018 11:42pm
Quote (Altrdwolf @ 8 Mar 2018 23:21)

Other games have regen periods too.

Runescape when you run out of food/potions you must go to the bank/market to restock.
Guildwars when you ran out of hp/mana you had to wait to fill back up or use skills that replenish them.
Diablo if you run out of pots or merc dies you have to town to refill. If your inventory fills of you must town to sell.
Path of Exile if you run out of potions and cant kill things to refill them you town. If your inventory becomes full you town.

The regen isnt the issue. The issue is the frequency at which you are required to do it, the length of the regen period, and the fact that you arent doing anything while accomplishing the task. The other games at least feel like you are playing because you arent just sitting there looking at a bar fill up on a webpage with no animation. It makes it for noticable but MOST games of this kind have regen as an integral part of play to some varying degree.
Mar 8 2018 11:50pm
Quote (Cheeya @ Mar 8 2018 08:42pm)
Other games have regen periods too.

Runescape when you run out of food/potions you must go to the bank/market to restock.
Guildwars when you ran out of hp/mana you had to wait to fill back up or use skills that replenish them.
Diablo if you run out of pots or merc dies you have to town to refill. If your inventory fills of you must town to sell.
Path of Exile if you run out of potions and cant kill things to refill them you town. If your inventory becomes full you town.

The regen isnt the issue. The issue is the frequency at which you are required to do it, the length of the regen period, and the fact that you arent doing anything while accomplishing the task. The other games at least feel like you are playing because you arent just sitting there looking at a bar fill up on a webpage with no animation. It makes it for noticable but MOST games of this kind have regen as an integral part of play to some varying degree.

THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT

I understand the need for regenning as it currently stands but its not engaging. As it is it feels like this game turns itself off and decides when you can and can't play.

Either remove the need to wait in town to regen or make it more engaging!
Currently the easiest way to do this is with shrine effectiveness, I guess it makes the game easy...but its actually interactive and a much better alternative than forcing me to stop playing the game so that I can...play the game.

Edit:
Even if solo climbs were the same speed or slower than they are right now, it would feel much faster and much more satisfying if regenning in town didn't mean afking.
I'm just trying to point out that I'm not trying to reduce time spent playing the game but make it more enjoyable!

edit2: yes I realize nothing we say actually makes a difference :P

This post was edited by Altrdwolf on Mar 9 2018 12:02am
Gold: 163,001.58
Mar 8 2018 11:56pm
Quote (BWConformity @ 9 Mar 2018 06:17)

In my opinion, Paul doesn't measure the success of this game by the player base. This game is unique, even in its genre. If not a lot of people like playing the game the way it is, that actually makes it even more special. It probably won't be replicated because the developer would go broke. If Paul needed Ladder Slasher to produce substantial economic gains and/or growth every quarter, there would be no more Ladder Slasher, or it would have to be a different kind of game altogether. Luckily, Paul doesn't, so this game can persist in more or less the form that Paul likes it. I think it's pretty awesome to be honest... if only 19 other people play it, then that's cool too. It's not like Paul's offering you lvl 55s with high EE for a premium amount of FG to the forum bank like those needy devs for other games do :P

Unique in what way? I played games like this in middle school
Idk and idc how Paul measure the success of his own game. It's his game and he can do whatever he feel with it :) But imo if i had something like this it would be more fun to see it grow and getting credits for your work.
Kinda like you are truly good at something ( f.e good at doing paintings but you only hang em at home and no1 can see them ) but can't show it to someone.
Not sure what you meant with your last sentence that paul doesn't ask for some fg as in return we get 55's with high EE? Not like this game is comparable with WoW or other games that are pay 2 win ( even thou several users had put alot of $$$ into this game buy buying FG to get those best in game items which some has become useless due to updates )
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
Prev1208209210211212855Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll