d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Welcome To Your New President, Hillary Clinton
Prev1567
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 119,903.34
Apr 20 2016 03:30pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Apr 20 2016 03:12pm)
Yeah, there'll probably only be thousands of early cancer deaths by the time everything shakes out. Like, five digits, tops. It wasn't a complete unmitigated disaster that could have completely destroyed every ecosystem for fifty miles before you even start talking about the really shitty part, sure. I'm super happy about that. And I'm not some conspiracy nutter who claims that it's going to mean that you can use California tilapia as a nightlight. But it was also not really good?

You waive the "It wasn't up to code" thing off like it's no big deal. When the fuck is anything actually as good as it's supposed to be on paper over the long haul?

I just think that the ratio of good to bad is way out of proportion when you consider exactly how long we're supposed to be responsible for the waste.

Pick your poison. We aren't going to change consumption of resources and renewable energy isn't going to out do fossil fuels in any reasonable time to combat climate change.

Nuclear energy needs to be expanded to reduce the damage we are doing to the climate.
Gold: 20.31
Apr 20 2016 04:27pm
This is the kind of overreaction to every little event in a campaign that bothers me. It's so typical of the political press. There's still so much of the campaign left.

Quote (ThatAlex @ Apr 19 2016 08:56pm)
Pretty obvious to everyone else, but I think all the Trump supporters' talk about Trump winning NY in November over Hillary should stop now:

~1.8 million votes for Democrats

~700 thousand votes for Republicans

with 95% reporting

Even if you combine all of the Republican votes together and compare it to just HRC's votes (no Sanders votes), HRC still wins by hundreds of thousands of votes.

They should have stopped a long time ago with this, true, but not because of this. This type of analysis, just adding up raw vote totals from primary voting, is silly and it just leads to the kind of nonsense that led to so many of the dumb people earlier in the cycle peddling that "DEMOCRATZ R DOOMED!!!!!!" fairytale that called for Republcans having a decisive edge in November because the year-over-year growth of their primary turnout was higher. The people couldn't process the simple fact that Democrats were simply crossing over into their primary to vote against Trump, thus complicating the raw numbers.

Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Apr 19 2016 08:58pm)
Are there really people who are this high?

Sadly yes. It's pitiful how "Trump has unique strength in the industrial Midwest because he appeals to blue-collar voters due to populist rhetoric" is a thing now. It's utterly laughable. Apparently Donald Trump can put Michigan and Pennsylvania and even New York in play when Mitt Romney failed to do so at 8% national unemployment, just a few short years after a massive recession. Absurd.
Gold: 2,620.00
Apr 20 2016 04:29pm
Quote (Pollster @ 20 Apr 2016 17:27)
This is the kind of overreaction to every little event in a campaign that bothers me. It's so typical of the political press. There's still so much of the campaign left.

They should have stopped a long time ago with this, true, but not because of this. This type of analysis, just adding up raw vote totals from primary voting, is silly and it just leads to the kind of nonsense that led to so many of the dumb people earlier in the cycle peddling that "DEMOCRATZ R DOOMED!!!!!!" fairytale that called for Republcans having a decisive edge in November because the year-over-year growth of their primary turnout was higher. The people couldn't process the simple fact that Democrats were simply crossing over into their primary to vote against Trump, thus complicating the raw numbers.

Sadly yes. It's pitiful how "Trump has unique strength in the industrial Midwest because he appeals to blue-collar voters due to populist rhetoric" is a thing now. It's utterly laughable. Apparently Donald Trump can put Michigan and Pennsylvania and even New York in play when Mitt Romney failed to do so at 8% national unemployment, just a few short years after a massive recession. Absurd.

I mean, obviously Trump was never going to win NY over Hillary in November.

But sometimes you have to break it down in more simple terms like that to get the point across.
Gold: 260.11
Apr 20 2016 04:35pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Apr 20 2016 02:12pm)
Yeah, there'll probably only be thousands of early cancer deaths by the time everything shakes out. Like, five digits, tops. It wasn't a complete unmitigated disaster that could have completely destroyed every ecosystem for fifty miles before you even start talking about the really shitty part, sure. I'm super happy about that. And I'm not some conspiracy nutter who claims that it's going to mean that you can use California tilapia as a nightlight. But it was also not really good?

You waive the "It wasn't up to code" thing off like it's no big deal. When the fuck is anything actually as good as it's supposed to be on paper over the long haul?

I just think that the ratio of good to bad is way out of proportion when you consider exactly how long we're supposed to be responsible for the waste.

I doubt the cancer cases are going to be that high. Radiation decays exponentially from the source since it's a radial distribution. I mean, I agree it wasn't good, but you're overall per kilowatt hour nuclear is the safest way to go even after Fukushima.
Gold: 20.31
Apr 20 2016 05:56pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Apr 20 2016 03:29pm)
I mean, obviously Trump was never going to win NY over Hillary in November.

But sometimes you have to break it down in more simple terms like that to get the point across.

Why not just: "New York has a PVI of D+11, meaning it's 11 points more Democratic than the nation as a whole?" or "New York was one of the few states that Obama '12's margin of victory was higher than Obama '08?" Either one of those should be more than enough to get the point across to someone who is dumb enough to think that Donald Trump, or any Republican, is winning New York in a general election. If you try to go too simple, you just open yourself up to other problems, specifically that the same dummy sees your example and turns around and tries to use it elsewhere and gets sloppy: "the Republican candidates combined for more votes in Wisconsin's primary, they're definitely going to win it in November!!!1111one"

This is the danger of dumbing it down, even if you know going in that you're dealing with a dummy.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1567
Add Reply New Topic New Poll