d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > Removing Warns From Log History > New Beginnings And Clean Slates
12Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 69,125.00
Apr 19 2016 06:59pm
Hello everyone.

I've always had a pretty solid reputation in the years that I have been active on jsp, specifically, within the diablo 2 community. However, in the past I have made regrettable choices which, unfortunately, resulted in warns. I imagine there are quite a few people on this site that can relate to that.

I'd first like to say that I 100% hold myself accountable for my actions, however, I'd also like to express that certain actions are subject to interpretation. Basically, my first warn, I didn't realize that what I was doing was a violation. I understand that there are rules, and I had reviewed them, yet I did not perceive my post as a violation of any rules at that time. Looking back at it now, being all the more experienced in and familiar with jsp, I understand why it was perceived the way that it was.

That being said - I , as many, strive to maintain a positive reputation on the forums and, although other members can't see members' warn logs, we can can see our own (as can staff). The few warns that I have received are a stain on my reputation in my eyes. They are a constant reminder of the mistakes that I have made but would like to move on from, especially as I have grown older and matured.

So, my suggestion is that after a certain period of time, warns should be removed from your history/log. These warns that I received occurred as far back as 2011 and yet 5 years later, I am still shadowed by my past mistakes. I am sure many people on the site can relate.

I worked for a criminal defense firm and even on a lower scale of offenses, for example, a DWI (DUI), will eventually be removed from your criminal record. In fact, even a felony can be removed from one's record by petitioning the State for the offense to be expunged. Warns on jsp, I think we can all agree, are far less egregious than that. I understand that you have to relate the crime proportionally to the environment in which it occurred, however, I believe with that taken into consideration, it is reasonable that warns should be removed from the warn history after a designated amount of time. We all deserve second, third, and even fourth chances... or as many as it takes to find ourselves on the right path. The worst way to live is without hope. We deserve that chance to start again, clean slate, no stains from our past for anyone, even ourselves, to see or hold judgment toward.

In conclusion, I feel having a warn removed from the warn log at 1 year after the date on which it was issued is a reasonable suggestion and believe it would serve the community well if implemented. Thank you for your time.

Fin.

This post was edited by Fatal_Aquaintnc on Apr 19 2016 07:09pm
Retired Moderator
Gold: 3,835.50
Trader: Trusted
Apr 19 2016 07:09pm
No, I don't think warns should ever be removed.

Other members, the general public cannot see your warns so I really don't see why you want warns to be removed.
Gold: 19,149.06
Apr 19 2016 07:14pm
na, i like to see my past warns. really no point
Apr 19 2016 07:17pm
Quote (ArtofApocalypse @ Apr 19 2016 09:09pm)
No, I don't think warns should ever be removed.

Other members, the general public cannot see your warns so I really don't see why you want warns to be removed.

I appreciate your opinion. I do believe I explained it in my argument but I can try to rephrase it more clearly. I, on a personal level, do not want those warns to remain on my jsp record. I want to know that they can be erased after some time so that I can pride myself on having a clear account. Ya know? To know that one day I might be able to say there are no defects, so to speak, with regard to my account.

People grow and learn and mature. We should be able to separate ourselves from our past mistakes.

Thanks for taking the time to vote. I appreciate it :)
Retired Moderator
Apr 19 2016 07:22pm
Quote (Fatal_Aquaintnc @ Apr 19 2016 09:17pm)
I appreciate your opinion. I do believe I explained it in my argument but I can try to rephrase it more clearly. I, on a personal level, do not want those warns to remain on my jsp record. I want to know that they can be erased after some time so that I can pride myself on having a clear account. Ya know? To know that one day I might be able to say there are no defects, so to speak, with regard to my account.

People grow and learn and mature. We should be able to separate ourselves from our past mistakes.

Thanks for taking the time to vote. I appreciate it :)

There are 'defects' though in terms of your history. You got warned in the past.

In regards to actual law, I doubt anything is completely removed from your record.
You may think it is, they may say it is, but if it's supposed to get removed, it only becomes harder to access. This is 2016, data is everything.

You can say there are no defects in regard to your account right now, you have no warns.

People grow, learn and mature, some people don't, ever. Most people don't after 1 warn, usually takes a few before they turn around or simply follow the rules.

Quick Scenario:

Police officer responds to a scene, a disturbance call of some sort. The disruptive person is being accused of assaulting another person, person Mike. Police officer pulls up this person's records and sees he was issued a warn in the past for having issues with Mike.
Police officer job is now safer (knows a bit more what to expect) and easier.

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Apr 19 2016 07:26pm
Apr 19 2016 07:26pm
Quote (ArtofApocalypse @ Apr 19 2016 09:22pm)
There are 'defects' though in terms of your history. You got warned in the past.

In regards to actual law, I doubt anything is completely removed from your record.
You may think it is, they may say it is, but if it's supposed to get removed, it only becomes harder to access. This is 2016, data is everything.

You can say there are no defects in regard to your account right now, you have no warns.

People grow, learn and mature, some people don't, ever. Most people don't after 1 warn, usually takes a few before they turn around.

As I said, I worked for a criminal defense firm, so I'm quite familiar with how it works. Records can be sealed and they can be destroyed. Otherwise, youthful offenders would have their lives ruined for ever. I can only speak toward NY, as that is where I live, but yes, the Department of Criminal Justice Services is responsible for sealing and destroying all evidence of convictions when ordered by a Court. Mistakes are made, yes, where a record should have been sealed and/or destroyed but was not, so then it gets addressed and handled as it should have initially. But, we digress.

I hear what you are saying, and you have a valid point. Perhaps you can come up with a suggestion that takes that into consideration without penalizing those that do change?

I guess the biggest question is, does a warn history have any impact toward any circumstance or achievement within the jsp realm?

Scenario: Police officer responds to a scene, a disturbance call of some sort. The disruptive person is being accused of assaulting another person, person Mike. Police officer pulls up this person's records and sees he was issued a warn in the past for having issues with Mike.
Police officer responds on biased impressions and misinterprets the situation while acting on presumptive information, potentially aiding the wrong individual and/or arresting person under false charges.

Point being, even if we completely change our lives around, it is in human nature to use past mistakes against us.

This post was edited by Fatal_Aquaintnc on Apr 19 2016 07:32pm
Retired Moderator
Apr 19 2016 07:32pm
Quote (Fatal_Aquaintnc @ Apr 19 2016 09:26pm)
As I said, I worked for a criminal defense firm, so I'm quite familiar with how it works. Records can be sealed and they can be destroyed. Otherwise, youthful offenders would have their lives ruined for ever. I can only speak toward NY, as that is where I live, but yes, the Department of Criminal Justice Services is responsible for sealing and destroying all evidence of convictions when ordered by a Court. Mistakes are made, yes, where a record should have been sealed and/or destroyed but was not, so then it gets addressed and handled as it should have initially. But, we digress.

I hear what you are saying, and you have a valid point. Perhaps you can come up with a suggestion that takes that into consideration without penalizing those that do change?

I guess the biggest question is, does a warn history have any impact toward any circumstance or achievement within the jsp realm?

In regards to your first paragraph, because you worked for a firm does not mean you have any sort of clearance level. As I said, just because something is said to be deleted, doesn't mean it is actually deleted. It just inherits the illusion that it is deleted but I'm sure is accessible to those with the right clearance. Why would government or companies erase valuable data. Thus, lives aren't ruined forever because the ordinary company or simple background checks don't have the clearance to see minor offenses.

The bolded is the impression I got when I entered this thread, because I couldn't possibly see any other reason why you would want your warns to be removed other than to fool yourself in thinking your account has been clean since creation.

Taken directly from the Trusted Tag page:
http://forums.d2jsp.org/info.php?p=4

We all have problems, but it is the method that these members use to find the solution that is noticed by the site. The ability to overcome personal differences and continue to create a positive environment throughout the forums is perhaps the most desirable attribute of these members.

I will say this, I've had many warns in my past, so don't feel discouraged in anyway because you've received warns in the past. Continue being yourself :)

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Apr 19 2016 07:39pm
Apr 19 2016 07:39pm
Quote (ArtofApocalypse @ Apr 19 2016 09:32pm)
In regards to your first paragraph, because you worked for a firm does not mean you have any sort of clearance level. As I said, just because something is said to be deleted, doesn't mean it is actually deleted. It just inherits the illusion that it is deleted but I'm sure is accessible to those with the right clearance. Why would government or companies erase valuable data. Thus, lives aren't ruined forever because the ordinary company or simple background checks don't have the clearance to see minor offenses.

The bolded is the impression I got when I entered this thread, because I couldn't possibly see any other reason why you would want your warns to be removed other than to fool yourself in thinking your account has been clean since creation.

Taken directly from the Trusted Tag page:
http://forums.d2jsp.org/info.php?p=4

I will say this, I've had many warns in my past, so don't feel discouraged in anyway because you've received warns in the past. Continue being yourself :)

You are absolutely right, I did not and do not have any type of clearance level. I can only choose to trust the written document signed by the head of that department stating that records have been sealed/destroyed. I did acknowledge that that doesn't always happen. We did have clients call that had convictions ordered to be sealed and somehow slipped through the cracks and never were sealed. Then, the situation gets "corrected". I put that in quotes considering your point.

Yeah I mean, let's be honest, people question if having warns will make the next mistake punished all the quicker. (I can say I never received a verbal warning, it was straight to the warn %) Will they be judged by staff? Will they still be listened to and taken seriously? Can they turn their behaviors around and have it recognized even just mentally by others... not necessarily specific to any action like, pm saying 'hey man [insert positive reinforcement here]'..

But, I suppose, your comment answers that fairly. Although, based on your same logic, anyone can say anything...doesn't mean it is true ;) everything in life is circumstantial

I'm sure many people on the site can appreciate your encouragement, myself included. Thanks man! Good talk, good talk haha

well at least i got 1 yes :lol: thanks for the support whomever cast that vote! haha i'm not forebber arone!

This post was edited by Fatal_Aquaintnc on Apr 19 2016 07:45pm
Gold: 111,131.11
Apr 19 2016 07:50pm
Quote (ArtofApocalypse @ 20 Apr 2016 01:09)

Too often is this line of reasoning used to justify the insidious growth of permanent tracking. It's a very dangerous argument held together by the flimsy assumption that we can trust the holders of that data to not to abuse it either intentionally or unintentionally, which seems quite unlikely.

Quote (ArtofApocalypse @ 20 Apr 2016 01:22)

There's an ipse dixit I've ever seen one. I think it is rather the position of those seeking to retain the permanent warn log situation to justify why that level of data retention is necessary, no? Your example as applied to a legal context leads only to self-fulfilling prophecies, precisely why this system is not used and such data is not retained when it is no longer relevant.

I think a year is long enough for something so trivial as an online forum. Voted yes.

This post was edited by Madotsuki on Apr 19 2016 07:52pm
Apr 19 2016 07:53pm
Quote (Madotsuki @ Apr 19 2016 09:50pm)
Too often is this line of reasoning used to justify the insidious growth of permanent tracking. It's a very dangerous argument held together by the flimsy assumption that we can trust the holders of that data to not to abuse it either intentionally or unintentionally, which seems quite unlikely.

There's an ipse dixit I've ever seen one. I think it is rather the position of those seeking to retain the permanent warn log situation to justify why that level of data retention is necessary, no? Your example of as applied to a legal context leads only to self-fulfilling prophecies, precisely why this system is not used and such data is not retained when it is no longer relevant.

I think a year is long enough for something so trivial as an online forum. Voted yes.

I totally get what you are saying and have to say, I agree. I don't think Apocalypse knowingly presented that double standard, but you make a valid point nonetheless and I had the same thought myself as briefly indicated above. And I fully trust based on this conversation that Apocalypse is not one to judge us for past mistakes, but unfortunately, not everyone has the kind of class.

Thanks for the vote man!

/e also ty for teaching me a new latin term hahaha that is one that i could often use in my profession as a paralegal

//e dem yes's starting to catch up :o :hug: even if this never happens, thank you to those who voted yes... i was beginning to feel kind of trampled there for a minute at the start and considered running away haha :cry: I am grateful for the support but even those who are in opposition, I respect your opinions and thank you for taking the time to consider.

This post was edited by Fatal_Aquaintnc on Apr 19 2016 08:08pm
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
12Next
Closed New Topic New Poll