d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Trump Effect On Us Children > ---
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.66
Apr 21 2016 01:30am
Quote (timmayX @ Apr 21 2016 07:27am)
I wasn't stating trumps position. I was stating how I felt about it.

I think trump was a little broader. Called for a temp ban to all Muslims until our authorities can "figure out what was going on." Problem was he wasn't only referencing the FBI admission of not being able to vet refugees properly if coming in the proposed numbers. Trump also linked it to San Bernardino. Not sure what solution can be effected on such a situation with a moratorium across the board on all Muslims.

Ah, I see now.

Whether long term or temporary, I don't see it as effective, personally.
Gold: 200.83
Apr 21 2016 01:56am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Apr 20 2016 11:10pm)
And doing surveillance and constructing databases of Muslims, where again, they'll likely target people who "look like a Muslim".

Trump has never said he wants to ban people who look like a Muslim.
or surveillance and constructing databases for people who "look like a Muslim".

There is a difference between what people immediately picture in their mind when they think the appearance of a Muslim and what they actually classify as a Muslim.

This post was edited by majorblood on Apr 21 2016 02:00am
Apr 21 2016 02:03am
Quote (majorblood @ Apr 21 2016 07:56am)
Trump has never said he wants to ban people who look like a Muslim.
or surveillance and constructing databases for people who "look like a Muslim".

There is a difference between what people immediately picture in their mind when they think the appearance of a Muslim and what they actually classify as a Muslim.

Quote (Handcuffs @ Apr 21 2016 07:10am)
And doing surveillance and constructing databases of Muslims, where again, they'll likely target people who "look like a Muslim".

Never said that Trump said what a Muslim looked like. I gave my own opinion of what I believe Trump envisions when thinking about "Muslims" and how that image would play out when going about banning, surveying and databasing "Muslims".
Apr 21 2016 02:20am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Apr 21 2016 12:03am)
Never said that Trump said what a Muslim looked like. I gave my own opinion of whatI believe Trump envisions when thinking about "Muslims" and how that image would play out when going about banning, surveying and databasing "Muslims".

You are not justified in saying Trump has said racist things then in this case. You are making too many assumptions at this point to make that case.
Quote (Handcuffs @ Apr 20 2016 08:11pm)
Depends on what one defines as "racist", asTrump has said/been engaged insome racist stuff imo.

I believe you are more justified in saying "some people may assume what Trump envisions and twist it to their own racist narrative"

This post was edited by majorblood on Apr 21 2016 02:47am
Apr 21 2016 02:54am
Quote (majorblood @ Apr 21 2016 08:20am)
You are not justified in saying Trump has said racist things then in this case. You are making too many assumptions at this point to make that case.

I believe you are more justified in saying "some people may assume what Trump envisions and twist it to their own racist narrative"

I don't know man, this argument seems pretty contradictory compared to:

Quote (majorblood @ Apr 21 2016 07:17am)
Do you agree that it is statistically more likely that a Muslim will be of Middle-Eastern decent?

Which is it? Is Trump likely talking about Muslims with a relatively specific conceptualization of what a Muslim looks like based off of "global statistics", or is he not? Sounds like you're trying to say both to me.
Apr 21 2016 03:00am
Quote (majorblood @ Apr 21 2016 07:17am)
Do you agree that it is statistically more likely that a Muslim will be of Middle-Eastern decent?

Also, still not really concerned about this portion of the argument, but aren't the two countries with the highest Muslim population Indonesia and India?
Apr 21 2016 03:20am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Apr 21 2016 01:00am)
Also, still not really concerned about this portion of the argument, but aren't the two countries with the highest Muslim population Indonesia and India?

According to this graph the Middle East, Northern Africa, and Indonesia are highly Muslim areas. India has a lot of Muslims but not an overwhelming majority based off their population.

Quote (Handcuffs @ Apr 21 2016 12:54am)
I don't know man, this argument seems pretty contradictory compared to:

Which is it? Is Trump likely talking about Muslims with a relatively specific conceptualization of what a Muslim looks like based off of "global statistics", or is he not? Sounds like you're trying to say both to me.

Trump has only said he wants a temporary ban on Muslims entering the country. I am not trying to say both.

I do believe many people picture a person of Middle-Eastern decent when they think of a Muslim for multiple reasons but as I said earlier
[t]here is a difference between what people immediately picture in their mind when they think [of] the appearance of a Muslim and what they actually classify as a Muslim

Some of the reasons people often picture a person of Middle-Eastern decent when they think of a Muslim are as follows:
Islam itself was created in this region
Of all regions Islam is currently dominate the Middle East is the most culturally impactful

This post was edited by majorblood on Apr 21 2016 03:22am
Apr 21 2016 03:27am
Quote (majorblood @ Apr 21 2016 09:20am)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/Muslim_Percent_Population.svg/500px-Muslim_Percent_Population.svg.png
According to this graph the Middle East, Northern Africa, and Indonesia are highly Muslim areas. India has a lot of Muslims but not an overwhelming majority based off their population.

Trump has only said he wants a temporary ban on Muslims entering the country. I am not trying to say both.

I do believe many people picture a person of Middle-Eastern decent when they think of a Muslim for multiple reasons but as I said earlier

The reasons people often picture a person of Middle-Eastern decent when they think of a Muslim are as follows:
Islam itself was created in this region
Of all regions Islam is currently dominate the Middle East is the most culturally impactful

The map shows the percentage compared to the country's population, but not the percentages of the global Muslim population, which is more relevant when talking about "Muslims coming from one country to the United States". Statistically, if one had to guess a country, the best bet would be on Indonesia.
Apr 21 2016 03:42am
Quote (Handcuffs @ Apr 21 2016 01:27am)
The map shows the percentage compared to the country's population, but not the percentages of the global Muslim population, which is more relevant when talking about "Muslims coming from one country to the United States". Statistically, if one had to guess a country, the best bet would be on Indonesia.

We have come to the conclusion that the majority of Muslims on Earth currently reside in Asia (which includes countries neighboring the Middle East with enormous Muslim populations like Afghanistan and Pakistan.) This statistic does not confirm
Trump has said/been engaged in some racist stuff imo.

This post was edited by majorblood on Apr 21 2016 03:48am
Apr 21 2016 03:44am
Quote (majorblood @ Apr 21 2016 09:42am)
We have come to the conclusion that the majority of Muslims on Earth currently reside in Asia (which includes countries neighboring the Middle East with enormous Muslim populations like Afghanistan and Pakistan. This statistic does not confirm

Well, of course, but to point out that I included "imo" in that and already said earlier that what people define or view as racist is variable. I'm not saying that I'm objectively right.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll