d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > $15 An Hour
Prev1234562Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 951.03
Apr 14 2016 08:24pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 14 2016 08:31pm)
Let's pretend the federal government implemented a law that raised the min. wage to $10/hour this year, $12.50/hour next year, and $15/hour the year after that.

Do you think this would help the economy? Would it decrease the black youth unemployment rate?

I have to imagine that it would help the economy and it's hard for me to really reason out the opposing point of view. Forces innovation in automation? Sounds like a good thing. All those people who hang around my office and kinda do work but are mostly worthless will be forced into being productive? Sounds like a good thing again. But when we talk about the economy, we're talking about money spent on american goods and services, and increasing minimum wage will force wealth from wealthier people to poorer people, and poorer people spend much more of their money on american goods and services than wealthier people, so sounds like a good thing.
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 14 2016 08:27pm
Quote (jtf @ Apr 14 2016 09:24pm)
I have to imagine that it would help the economy and it's hard for me to really reason out the opposing point of view. Forces innovation in automation? Sounds like a good thing. All those people who hang around my office and kinda do work but are mostly worthless will be forced into being productive? Sounds like a good thing again. But when we talk about the economy, we're talking about money spent on american goods and services, and increasing minimum wage will force wealth from wealthier people to poorer people, and poorer people spend much more of their money on american goods and services than wealthier people, so sounds like a good thing.

Maybe automation is more efficient, but it's going to increase unemployment. What good is efficiency when more people are sitting at home, not earning or spending money? Seems to be inefficient.

This post was edited by IceMage on Apr 14 2016 08:27pm
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 14 2016 08:27pm
...remember that 1 in 9 Americans have worked at McDonald's at some point in their life ...if even half those jobs disappear it could be catastrophic for the poor .
Gold: 40.42
Apr 14 2016 08:28pm
Quote (IceMage @ 14 Apr 2016 18:22)
Well sure, but you aren't just taking jobs away from teens. You are taking them away from people who have to work two or three low wage jobs to feed their family. More expensive products, less jobs, doesn't seem good for poor people.

Except the inflation thing is pretty much bullshit. Inflation has gone quite a bit faster than the minimum wage, in fact. It's just a matter of trying to get it to keep up with where it was meant to be in the first place, to make sure that people can actually survive.

In fact, doing a bit of looking, I don't really buy the unemployment bit either. Here's some pretty decent stuff the Department of Labor gathered together:

https://www.dol.gov/featured/minimum-wage/mythbuster

It'll lead to more people who can just keep one job and keep their family afloat, leading to more satisfaction and efficient workers, plus save a bunch of costs associated with turnover and cetera.

Quote (jtf @ 14 Apr 2016 18:24)

Exactly. That's the most important bit - the poor spend money a lot more efficiently, so there's also all the extra economic activity from people who can afford to get all economically active. And like I said above, automation is coming in any case.

This post was edited by AiNedeSpelCzech on Apr 14 2016 08:30pm
Apr 14 2016 08:28pm
Quote (stimpy6298 @ Apr 14 2016 09:17pm)
Do you have an understanding how things work in this country? how does food and supplies get to stores? Use some common sense here if you think it will stay the same....how many semi trucks do you see on the highway each day? How do you think most companies ship finished products? How much more is it going to be to ship a fed ex package? do you get the point yet or should i draw you a picture ...go back to your coloring book

You really can't hire CDLs with the hazmat endorsement for under $15/hr. My company tries to do this, but it's literally impossible. But we do have other people that contribute to the gasoline supply chain that make less than 15/hr.
Gold: 9,106.00
Apr 14 2016 08:29pm
Inflation will undoubtedly follow. Small business owners would be forced to increase the price of their products or be unable to turn a profit. Large businesses would also be hit, however there would be a positive in this for them. With more and more small business being pushed out of the market, their market share would increase. The dollar will be devalued, which might be good for exports, since our products might be cheaper but once inflation catches up it would balance out.

In reality the poor will still remain poor, and in reality i think that this move implemented all over the states would be bad. It works, somewhat in places like Seattle, New York because the cost of living is already so inflated and most wages are no where near the national minimum wage to begin with. I think it would wreck havoc in smaller cities and towns that have lower salaries but people still live somewhat comfortably because the dollar goes much further there. Devaluing the dollar in those places would be catastrophic imo.
Apr 14 2016 08:30pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 14 2016 09:27pm)
Maybe automation is more efficient, but it's going to increase unemployment. What good is efficiency when more people are sitting at home, not earning or spending money? Seems to be inefficient.

lol wtf are you talking about. It sounds like you're trying to argue that an economy that produces more goods and services is worse than an economy that produces less goods and services.

I think that your attitude is backwards. Those people are now free to do other productive things. Maybe you are unable to think up what those other productive things are, but it's obvious to a lot of us.
Gold: 40.42
Apr 14 2016 08:31pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 14 Apr 2016 18:29)
Inflation will undoubtedly follow. Small business owners would be forced to increase the price of their products or be unable to turn a profit. Large businesses would also be hit, however there would be a positive in this for them. With more and more small business being pushed out of the market, their market share would increase. The dollar will be devalued, which might be good for exports, since our products might be cheaper but once inflation catches up it would balance out.

In reality the poor will still remain poor, and in reality i think that this move implemented all over the states would be bad. It works, somewhat in places like Seattle, New York because the cost of living is already so inflated and most wages are no where near the national minimum wage to begin with. I think it would wreck havoc in smaller cities and towns that have lower salaries but people still live somewhat comfortably because the dollar goes much further there. Devaluing the dollar in those places would be catastrophic imo.

July 2015 survey found that 3 out of 5 small business owners with employees support a gradual increase in the minimum wage to $12. The survey reports that small business owners say an increase "would immediately put more money in the pocket of low-wage workers who will then spend the money on things like housing, food, and gas. This boost in demand for goods and services will help stimulate the economy and help create opportunities."

From my link above.

People sure do like speaking for small business owners.
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 14 2016 08:35pm
Quote (jtf @ Apr 14 2016 09:30pm)
lol wtf are you talking about. It sounds like you're trying to argue that an economy that produces more goods and services is worse than an economy that produces less goods and services.

I think that your attitude is backwards. Those people are now free to do other productive things. Maybe you are unable to think up what those other productive things are, but it's obvious to a lot of us.

What other productive things are these no skill workers going to do? Spell it out for me.

Have you ever worked in low wage jobs? Many of these people are beyond the point of seeking an education or joining a trade school, they are stuck in the cycle of low wage jobs and if they lost the ability to find one they'd crash and burn.

Gold: 9,106.00
Apr 14 2016 08:35pm
This post is a violation of the site rules and appropriate action was taken.

Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Apr 14 2016 07:28pm)
Except the inflation thing is pretty much bullshit. Inflation has gone quite a bit faster than the minimum wage, in fact. It's just a matter of trying to get it to keep up with where it was meant to be in the first place, to make sure that people can actually survive.
In fact, doing a bit of looking, I don't really buy the unemployment bit either. Here's some pretty decent stuff the Department of Labor gathered together:

https://www.dol.gov/featured/minimum-wage/mythbuster

It'll lead to more people who can just keep one job and keep their family afloat, leading to more satisfaction and efficient workers, plus save a bunch of costs associated with turnover and cetera.

Exactly. That's the most important bit - the poor spend money a lot more efficiently, so there's also all the extra economic activity from people who can afford to get all economically active. And like I said above, automation is coming in any case.

No it's really not, you're just an idiot. So you think if all of the sudden small business owners that were turning up a moderate profit with some of their workers making 8 dollars and hour would be totally fine when they have to pay 15 dollars? Of course the costs of products would increase you dolt.

You either have a really poor understanding of economics or just really stupid. Not sure which.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Apr 14 2016 08:36pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234562Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll