d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > $15 An Hour
Prev123462Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 14 2016 08:11pm
at $15 per hour you guys realize gas will be $5 per gallon....ill just use that as one example you can guess the trickle down effect for the rest of good and services
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 14 2016 08:11pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Apr 14 2016 09:09pm)
It would do a mix of raisng the price level and/or creating employment. Long-term benefits are nonexistent.

We should tie the minimum wage to 0.60x a living wage depending on the area calculated every year. Then we can stop talking about this issue every god damn year.

16 year olds making the same as 35 year old single mom with 3 kids? A living wage is so vastly different based on the family situation.

This post was edited by IceMage on Apr 14 2016 08:12pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 14 2016 08:13pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 14 2016 10:11pm)
16 year olds making the same as 35 year old single mom with 3 kids? A living wage is so vastly different based on the family situation.

I mean based purely on housing costs, not personal situation. That's your own problem fam.
Gold: 40.42
Apr 14 2016 08:13pm
Quote (IceMage @ 14 Apr 2016 18:09)
Wouldn't it be a bad idea to mandate a wage that would take more poor teens/young 20 somethings out of the workforce?

I mean, even the most liberal economists admit that an increase in the minimum wage increases poor unemployment.

It'll be made up for by the people who don't have to work two or three jobs to make ends meet for their families. :P

In all seriousness, I consider that benefit much greater than the unemployment effects, which I think aren't really all that bad. Sure, there's a bit more of a push toward automation, but I think that the push is only slightly faster than it already is anyway, because companies want to cut down on labor costs and would have it fully implemented today if they could. It's not like the technology isn't there.

Quote (stimpy6298 @ 14 Apr 2016 18:11)
at $15 per hour you guys realize gas will be $5 per gallon....ill just use that as one example you can guess the trickle down effect for the rest of good and services

lol, how does this work, exactly? What parts of the supply chain for gasoline would spike so much because they're dependent on minimum wage labor, precisely?

This post was edited by AiNedeSpelCzech on Apr 14 2016 08:14pm
Apr 14 2016 08:15pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 14 2016 09:11pm)

Not really. A living wage for the single mom isn't anymore than it is for the young adult with no kids. A living wage isn't defined to be enough to sustain yourself and however many offspring you choose to have, it is the wage to sustain yourself.
Apr 14 2016 08:17pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Apr 14 2016 09:13pm)
lol, how does this work, exactly? What parts of the supply chain for gasoline would spike so much because they're dependent on minimum wage labor, precisely?

Do you have an understanding how things work in this country? how does food and supplies get to stores? Use some common sense here if you think it will stay the same....how many semi trucks do you see on the highway each day? How do you think most companies ship finished products? How much more is it going to be to ship a fed ex package? do you get the point yet or should i draw you a picture ...go back to your coloring book
Gold: 28,296.69
Apr 14 2016 08:18pm
sounds good but it's gonna be a rough ride
hours are gonna be cut
and for those minimum wagers that don't get cut will get knocked out of the income brackets that allow a lot of assistance that many rely on that may amount to more than the paycheck bump

it's 10 here and going up to 15

I've seen it being implemented along the way due to what I do for a living and it changes a lot of things that those it effects aren't usually prepared for
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 14 2016 08:19pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Apr 14 2016 10:13pm)
It'll be made up for by the people who don't have to work two or three jobs to make ends meet for their families. :P

In all seriousness, I consider that benefit much greater than the unemployment effects, which I think aren't really all that bad. Sure, there's a bit more of a push toward automation, but I think that the push is only slightly faster than it already is anyway, because companies want to cut down on labor costs and would have it fully implemented today if they could. It's not like the technology isn't there.

You make it sound like those families aren't part perpetrator. Its probably just going to create more dead end families.

& Its called a price level. Every piece of equipment and service now has to be acquired by paying the lowest guys more money. The cost is nearly always passed to the consumer again.
Gold: 40.42
Apr 14 2016 08:19pm
Quote (stimpy6298 @ 14 Apr 2016 18:17)
Do you have an understanding how things work in this country? how does food and supplies get to stores? Use some common sense here if you think it will stay the same....how many semi trucks do you see on the highway each day? How do you think most companies ship finished products? How much more is it going to be to ship a fed ex package? do you get the point yet or should i draw you a picture ...go back to your coloring book

Ah yes, all those minimum wage truckers having vast and unforseeable wage inflation all at once.
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 14 2016 08:22pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Apr 14 2016 09:13pm)

Well sure, but you aren't just taking jobs away from teens. You are taking them away from people who have to work two or three low wage jobs to feed their family. More expensive products, less jobs, doesn't seem good for poor people.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123462Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll