d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Site Suggestions >
Poll > Hotkeys For Bbcodes & Navigation
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 20,000.00
Jan 21 2016 12:53pm
Hi,

I've just returned from bot being on here for 2 years and not much has changed in terms of the website, one feature that many many other forums softwares and programs have that this one still doesn't have is hotkeys for BBcode & navigation, something that is incredible handy and makes navigation and ease of use way better.

Proposal:

Add a series of hotkeys to allow people to do things like:

CTRL + B (Bold)
CTRL + I (Italic)
CTRL + U (Underlined)
ALT + E (Center Align)
ALT + T (Trade Finder)
ALT + F (Tracker)
ALT + L (Live Streams)
ALT + R (Jump to Reply Button)
ALT + Q (Jump & Open "Quick Reply")
ALT + P (Preview)
ALT + S (Submit / Post)
ALT + X (Jump down to next post in topic)
ALT + 1 (Main Forum)
ALT + 2-9 (Custom Hotkeys Possible to favourite subforums?)
ALT + V (Focus in Input Box/Cycle to Next Input Field)

Obviously discussion would be required for what hotkeys are prefered for what and also what needs to have a hotkey and what doesn't.

You can add many more for many different things... half of users would end up using these religiously. I know for the main 3 of bold, italic and underlined I keep trying to use them and having to instead either type or click on the buttons instead :(

Votes:

Please, if you vote no tell me your reasoning as to why you don't think this should be implemented.
Gold: 68.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 21 2016 01:07pm
I voted no because it takes less time for me to click "tracker" in a thread than it does to look at my keyboard and mash 'alt + t'. Also took less time for me to highlight this text and click "B" to bold it than it did for me to highlight the text then look at my keyboard and mash 'ctrl + b'.

I think the shortcuts we have in place already are just fine. Or I'm just slow at mashing keys on my keyboard, lol, either way, negative from me buddy.
Jan 21 2016 01:22pm
Quote (Vincenzo @ 21 Jan 2016 20:07)
I voted no because it takes less time for me to click "tracker" in a thread than it does to look at my keyboard and mash 'alt + t'. Also took less time for me to highlight this text and click "B" to bold it than it did for me to highlight the text then look at my keyboard and mash 'ctrl + b'.

I think the shortcuts we have in place already are just fine. Or I'm just slow at mashing keys on my keyboard, lol, either way, negative from me buddy.

Thanks for your reply and reasoning :)

I can understand however, once you know the hotkeys it makes it easy. How do you bold text in Microsoft Word? 90% of people use CTRL + B and then type. As for the bold/italics/underlined, you could implement it so when nothing is selected that it opens the tag and doing it again closes the tag which is faster for most than having to select and bold.

Also, If you're at the bottom of a page, how is it quicker to scroll all the way to the top and click tracker rather than just pressing alt + t? It also makes it easy and there are people who browse on xbox 360's, ps4s and even their TV's who don't have a mouse and navigate via keyboards...
Gold: 68.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 21 2016 01:36pm
Quote (XxXGoD @ Jan 21 2016 02:22pm)
Also, If you're at the bottom of a page, how is it quicker to scroll all the way to the top and click tracker rather than just pressing alt + t?

Simply click "Top" to the right of the closest post (right next to the quote button) and you'll jump up to the top of the thread.
Jan 21 2016 02:00pm
Quote (Vincenzo @ 21 Jan 2016 20:36)
Simply click "Top" to the right of the closest post (right next to the quote button) and you'll jump up to the top of the thread.

Yes, but still you have to move your mouse and click twice to do all of this, where as from the keyboard it's 1 simple hotkey. (Remember like I mentioned above, some people won't have a mouse on their xbox, ps4, tv but they'll mostly all have "keyboard" access and also people on laptops it's far easier if they use hotkeys over them silly mousepads/pointing sticks)

I can certainly understand your point of view but overall I think they are worth it, the more people know about them the more common it would be. Even on a desktop I'm a keyboard navigator more than a mouse navigator, if there is a hotkey I use it.

Each to their own :P
Gold: 0.00
Jan 21 2016 02:19pm
Quote (XxXGoD @ Jan 21 2016 04:00pm)
Yes, but still you have to move your mouse and click twice to do all of this, where as from the keyboard it's 1 simple hotkey. (Remember like I mentioned above, some people won't have a mouse on their xbox, ps4, tv but they'll mostly all have "keyboard" access and also people on laptops it's far easier if they use hotkeys over them silly mousepads/pointing sticks)

I can certainly understand your point of view but overall I think they are worth it, the more people know about them the more common it would be. Even on a desktop I'm a keyboard navigator more than a mouse navigator, if there is a hotkey I use it.

Each to their own :P

There are buttons on your keyboard called "Home" & "End" bro
Jan 21 2016 02:32pm
Quote (straightedgerevenge @ 21 Jan 2016 21:19)
There are buttons on your keyboard called "Home" & "End" bro

Yes, but that still defeats the purpose. You'll be having to press Home & then move mouse to click, same amount of time as the fully mouse orientated route.
Gold: 35.00
Jan 21 2016 02:38pm
I don't think d2jsp really needs this.

Cool idea though.
Jan 21 2016 05:20pm
Quote (0rb @ 21 Jan 2016 21:38)
I don't think d2jsp really needs this.

Cool idea though.

The bold, underline and italics are 100% needed. The second part with navigation... well that isn't needed as much but it can be very much beneficial
Go Back To Site Suggestions Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll