d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Sugar Industry
Prev1234510Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.33
Sep 26 2015 05:50pm
So the war on our civil liberties has now extended to what we are allowed to eat. Get Obama and the nanny state into our lives even more, because we can't help ourselves from eating all that food!

Gold: 12,730.67
Sep 26 2015 05:51pm
Quote (bitg_pj @ Sep 26 2015 03:50pm)
the quality and type of calories ingested changes your metabolism....for instance eating lots of whole foods and raw fruits and veggies will allow you to consume a greater volume of calories...

at the end of the day weight loss is ingesting less calories than you burn.... eating garbage just means your body will burn less calories so you have to eat less....and you're unhealthy

I find that when I'm not working out, I probably only burn 1300 calories a day given that I'm at a desk all day. I think we need to revisit the idea of "2000 calorie diets."
Gold: 0.00
Sep 26 2015 05:52pm
Quote (dro94 @ 26 Sep 2015 23:50)
So the war on our civil liberties has now extended to what we are allowed to eat. Get Obama and the nanny state into our lives even more, because we can't help ourselves from eating all that food!

The fuck you talking about? You live in England you numpty. We already have regulations and restrictions on how much sugar is allowed to be in food and all nutritional information clearly has to be displayed on all packaging.
Gold: 18,470.03
Sep 26 2015 05:54pm
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/apr/21/usnews.food

The sugar industry in the US is threatening to bring the World Health Organisation to its knees by demanding that Congress end its funding unless the WHO scraps guidelines on healthy eating, due to be published on Wednesday.

The threat is being described by WHO insiders as tantamount to blackmail and worse than any pressure exerted by the tobacco lobby.

In a letter to Gro Harlem Brundtland, the WHO's director general, the Sugar Association says it will "exercise every avenue available to expose the dubious nature" of the WHO's report on diet and nutrition, including challenging its $406m (£260m) funding from the US.

The industry is furious at the guidelines, which say that sugar should account for no more than 10% of a healthy diet. It claims that the review by international experts which decided on the 10% limit is scientifically flawed, insisting that other evidence indicates that a quarter of our food and drink intake can safely consist of sugar.

"Taxpayers' dollars should not be used to support misguided, non-science-based reports which do not add to the health and well-being of Americans, much less the rest of the world," says the letter. "If necessary we will promote and encourage new laws which require future WHO funding to be provided only if the organisation accepts that all reports must be supported by the preponderance of science."

The association, together with six other big food industry groups, has also written to the US health secretary, Tommy Thompson, asking him to use his influence to get the WHO report withdrawn. The coalition includes the US Council for International Business, comprising more than 300 companies, including Coca-Cola and Pepsico.

The sugar lobby's strong-arm tactics are nothing new, according to Professor Phillip James, the British chairman of the International Obesity Taskforce who wrote the WHO's previous report on diet and nutrition in 1990. The day after his expert committee had decided on a 10% limit, the World Sugar Organisation "went into overdrive", he said. "Forty ambassadors wrote to the WHO insisting our report should be removed, on the grounds that it would do irreparable damage to countries in the developing world."
Sep 26 2015 05:54pm
Quote (Scaly @ Sep 27 2015 12:52am)
The fuck you talking about? You live in England you numpty. We already have regulations and restrictions on how much sugar is allowed to be in food and all nutritional information clearly has to be displayed on all packaging.

You don't have the right to tell me where I live. Again, all Scaly and the social justice warrior loony lefty brigade can bring to the fore is more regulation and tax. Get the government out of our lives
Gold: 500.00
Sep 26 2015 05:55pm
Quote (dro94 @ Sep 26 2015 06:54pm)
You don't have the right to tell me where I live. Again, all Scaly and the social justice warrior loony lefty brigade can bring to the fore is more regulation and tax. Get the government out of our lives

the Somalian alternative isn't very promising

Gold: 18,470.03
Sep 26 2015 06:00pm
http://www.foodpolitics.com/2009/10/family-doctors-resign-from-aafp-over-coke-partnership/

Family doctors resign from AAFP over Coke partnership

Yesterday, 20 family physicians in Contra Costa County, California, ripped up their membership cards in the American Academy of Family Physicians in protest over the AAFP’s partnership with Coca-Cola.

coke_1

The director of the Contra Costa Department of Health Services, Dr. William Walker, announced that he was resigning his 25-year membership in AAFP. In his statement, Dr. Walker said:

…I am appalled and ashamed of this partnership between Coca-Cola and the American Academy of Family Physicians. How can any organization that claims to promote public health join forces with a company that promotes products that put our children at risk for obesity, heart disease and early death.

…The AAFP is supposed to be an organization that works to protect the health of children not put them at risk. Their decision to take soda money is all the more unconscionable because, unlike doctors in the 40s, they well know the negative health impact of soda. There is no shortage of documentation that soda is a major contributor to our nation’s obesity epidemic.

…Let me be clear about something: as disappointed as I am with the American Academy of Family Physicians for being duped into thinking that Coca Cola wants to help promote health, the real problem here is our children are being put at risk.

Companies like Coca Cola are polluting our communities with deceptive advertising promoting products that put our children’s health at risk.

…as a family practice doctor and the Health Officer for Contra Costa, I do have a prescription for every parent, teacher, community leader and student:

Look beyond the glitzy advertising that makes you think pouring liquid containing sugar into your body is healthy. Read the label. Look at the ingredients. I’m not suggesting that you boycott sugared drinks, but please make an informed decision about what you are consuming.

I’m calling on every city and neighborhood in our County to fight back against the industry that pushes these harmful products. I ask the American Academy of Family Physicians to end this unhealthy partnership and to join us in leading this important campaign to take back the health of our residents and end the obesity epidemic.

Strong words, indeed. I hope that the AAFP – and other health and nutrition organizations that might consider food industry partnerships – pay close attention to these words.
Sep 26 2015 06:03pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Sep 27 2015 12:55am)
the Somalian alternative isn't very promising

Gold: 171.76
Sep 26 2015 06:09pm
Quote (thundercock @ Sep 26 2015 07:51pm)
I find that when I'm not working out, I probably only burn 1300 calories a day given that I'm at a desk all day. I think we need to revisit the idea of "2000 calorie diets."

do what I do JR

15 minute breaks walk steadily

30 min lunch, eat for first 10-15 then walk the other 15

it adds about 200-250 calories burned per day for me and it feels good
Gold: 500.00
Sep 26 2015 06:13pm
Have fun debating sugar fatties

Afk gym
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234510Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll