d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Mclaughlin Group-syria Update
Prev1456
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Oct 1 2015 05:39am
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/10/1/russian-strikes-in-syria-reveal-incoherence-of-us-policy.html

So Russia is now aiding Assad and ISIL by attacking moderate Syrian forces while saying they're attacking ISIL incorrectly.

Can we unilaterally start to castrate Assad's forces yet?
Gold: 159.02
Oct 1 2015 06:07am
Quote (Skinned @ 1 Oct 2015 05:39)
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/10/1/russian-strikes-in-syria-reveal-incoherence-of-us-policy.html

So Russia is now aiding Assad and ISIL by attacking moderate Syrian forces while saying they're attacking ISIL incorrectly.

i'm not seeing how this helps isil
Gold: 0.76
Oct 1 2015 06:08am
Quote (Skinned @ 1 Oct 2015 06:39)

Do you think Obama will fold to pressure and join the Putin/Assad alliance?

interesting to see how the Republitards who were idolizing Putin will now view his moves....
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 1 2015 06:17am
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 1 2015 07:39am)

...this puts a new whole spin on the term proxy war as America and Russia fight each other through the proxies of Assad vs the rebels who fight each other and ISIL through their particular Muslim sects . Yowzer !
Gold: 0.76
Oct 1 2015 06:27am
Russia gave the United States just one hour heads-up that it would be launching airstrikes in the western Syrian city of Homs on Wednesday morning and told U.S. aircraft -- there to battle ISIS -- that they needed to leave Syrian airspace.

Vladimir Putin steals Barack Obama's thunder on the world stage

The United States declined to do so, but having both air forces operating in the country raises the specter of military mishaps between the two powers. The United States had anticipated holding conversations with the Russian military on "deconfliction," so that there wouldn't be inadvertent overlap, but that expectation wasn't met -- though it appears military-to-military talks will be held as soon as Thursday.

Similarly, President Barack Obama received clarifications from Putin in a meeting Monday that the Russian strikes would target ISIS, as the U.S. desires, rather than go after the opposition forces fighting major Russian ally al-Assad. But that expectation also wasn't borne out.

Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said Wednesday that the Russian attacks, which the Kremlin said were meant to target terrorists, didn't appear to hit targets under the control of ISIS, which operates in the north and east of the country.http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/30/politics/vladimir-putin-airstrikes-syria-isis-obama/index.html

Quote (Devil_kin @ 1 Oct 2015 07:07)
i'm not seeing how this helps isil

The US is hoping that Russia will help fight ISL, but instead Russia is targeting the Rebel forces that are trying to topple the scumbag Assad Which is an objective the US wouldn't mind (we think) :lol: it's a menage-a-war going on
Gold: 159.02
Oct 1 2015 06:30am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ 1 Oct 2015 06:27)
The US is hoping that Russia will help fight ISL, but instead Russia is targeting the Rebel forces that are trying to topple the scumbag Assad Which is an objective the US wouldn't mind (we think) :lol: it's a menage-a-war going on

i understand the greater systems at play i just don't see how this show of force aids isil in any way, which is what skinned claimed.
Gold: 1,819.09
Oct 1 2015 06:41am
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 1 2015 07:39am)

Why are you complaining about Russia targeting Al Nusra who the US has also targeted with airstrikes? Is one country allowed to target whoever they want and another not allowed? And Al Nusra characterized as "moderate" is one of the loosest descriptions of moderate I've ever seen, and could only be justified if you think IS is so far extreme that anyone looks moderate in comparison.
Gold: 285.00
Oct 1 2015 06:42am
Quote (Devil_kin @ Oct 1 2015 07:30am)
i understand the greater systems at play i just don't see how this show of force aids isil in any way, which is what skinned claimed.

Enemy of my enemy is a friend reasoning. There is a balance of power and nature abhors a vaccuum. The FSA gets weaker and ISIL gets stronger. FSA and the Kurdish forces (related) are the largest check to ISIL in the region. Assad is pretty much the reason they have been able to become as prominent as they have become.

People did pretty much come together to swat out American interests in the area. Luckily the Kurds are pretty strong on their own.

Quote (Caedus @ Oct 1 2015 07:41am)
Why are you complaining about Russia targeting Al Nusra who the US has also targeted with airstrikes? Is one country allowed to target whoever they want and another not allowed? And Al Nusra characterized as "moderate" is one of the loosest descriptions of moderate I've ever seen, and could only be justified if you think IS is so far extreme that anyone looks moderate in comparison.

No. I'm not talking about Al-Nusra. I'm talking about FSA, not that such a thing exists anymore after the US has shown Bay of Pigs/Desert Storm like support to the local populace.

But Al-Nusra and ISIL were related and within the same organization (not with the FSA) and split in 2013. It is important to articulate timelines here.

This post was edited by Skinned on Oct 1 2015 06:46am
Gold: 1,819.09
Oct 1 2015 06:50am
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 1 2015 08:42am)
No. I'm not talking about Al-Nusra. I'm talking about FSA, not that such a thing exists anymore after the US has shown Bay of Pigs/Desert Storm like support to the local populace.

But Al-Nusra and ISIL were the same and split in 2013.

The reports say Russia hit Al Nusra if they didn't hit IS.

The FSA has never existed. It was always a miss mash of secular and moderate to relatively extreme Islamists. Their power base has been eroded over the years, evidenced by moderate rebels almost immediately turning over their supplies to Islamist groups when told to.

In Syria you have the loyalists, the Kurds (who want autonomy not to topple Assad), sort of crazy Islamists, bat shit crazy Islamists, and other insignificant rebels. The west is nuts if they support the Islamists.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1456
Add Reply New Topic New Poll