d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > An Unsung Hero
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 678.00
Aug 23 2015 05:19pm
At least I didn't see a thread for him, just heard about him today first the first time as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/22/beheading-of-khaled-al-asaad-keeper-of-palmyra-unites-syria-in-condemnation

Islamic State’s execution of Khaled al-Asaad, the keeper of Palmyra’s extraordinary cultural artefacts, has inspired a rare consensus among Syria’s other political factions.

The archaeologist and historian reportedly opposed the 2011 uprising against the country’s president, Bashar al-Assad, but his murder has provoked grief and condemnation from regime loyalists and opposition activists.

Syrian activists say Isis militants captured Asaad shortly after they seized control of the ancient city of Palmyra in May. He was reportedly released and recaptured later before he was beheaded in a public square on Tuesday. According to a placard tied to his corpse, Asaad was accused of apostasy. His alleged crimes included representing Syria at “infidel conferences”, serving as “the director of idolatry” in Palmyra, visiting Iran to commemorate the anniversary of the “Khomeini revolution” and communicating with Syrian military officers, including his brother Col Issa al-Asaadin.

Maamoun Abdulkarim, the director of Syria’s department of antiquities and museums, told CNN that Asaad had been executed because he refused to tell the militants the whereabouts of Palmyra’s treasures. There is no evidence this was the case, but local activists reported the regime had relocated antiquities as Isis closed on the city because of fears the militants would destroy or loot the ancient site. Once the group took control it did destroy two shrines that it considered idolatrous, according to its puritanical interpretation of Islam.

Another reason for Assad’s murder has, however, been overlooked. His execution is consistent with the actions of Isis, and its progenitor al-Qaida in Iraq, in targeting intellectuals, technocrats, tribal leaders and activists in both Iraq and Syria. Over the past decade, the group has intimidated and eliminated thousands of such influential figures. As such, it was surprising that Asaad chose to remain in Palmyra. In other Isis-controlled territories, intellectuals and community leaders have either fled or maintained a low profile.

Asaad is the most prominent Syrian scholar Isis has killed to date. Many feared the group would destroy Palmyra’s antiquities, but nobody anticipated it would murder their keeper. The opposition’s National Coalition condemned his killing as a savage crime. Even people who usually either justify or overlook acts committed against Assad regime have condemned his murder. Admired for his work in documenting and promoting Syria’s cultural heritage, he was regarded as a national treasure by regime loyalists and opponents. “You can’t write about Palmyra’s history or anything to do with Palmyrian work without mentioning Khaled Asaad,” said Amr al-Azm, a former Syrian antiquities official.

Asaad’s death is a reminder that Isis cannot be counted as part of the Syrian opposition. The group’s targeting of the country’s cultural heritage, and those who protect it, illustrates its distinct idealogical position. The reaction to the militants’ latest atrocity also offers hope that many of Assad’s opponents still differentiate between his regime and those who support it.

If the accusations against Isis on this are true (and looking at their previous destruction of cultural heritage I have little reason to doubt it), I salute this man as a hero.

Gold: 1,532.01
Aug 23 2015 07:01pm
They've blown the whole place up, it being a 'manifestation of polytheism'...what an absolute clusterfuck.
Aug 24 2015 12:24am
Quote (GetOnYourKnees @ 24 Aug 2015 03:01)
They've blown the whole place up, it being a 'manifestation of polytheism'...what an absolute clusterfuck.

I didn't hear about them destroying the whole place (yet).
Some tombs and statues are destroyed though.

Anyway, this guy is a hero for humanity. If nobody protects our heritage, we lose a big part of who we are.

I guess not many people here care though.

This post was edited by hATemOnkEy on Aug 24 2015 12:24am
Gold: 0.76
Aug 24 2015 01:47am
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ 24 Aug 2015 01:24)
I didn't hear about them destroying the whole place (yet).
Some tombs and statues are destroyed though.

Anyway, this guy is a hero for humanity. If nobody protects our heritage, we lose a big part of who we are.

It is a sad case, did he keep the location o the artifacts secret then? That's the way I understood the article I just wasn't sure.

When you think about ISIS's ability to assign guilt to the men it kills especially publicly Like Khaled al-Asaad, which are glaringly false to you and me. Yet the leaders can convince it's followers that the man was a religious traitor that really shows the power of a religious based terrorist organization like Isis. When some highly intelligent leaders can provoke poorly educated masses into religious and political/social outrage you have a very dangerous combination. This is a demonstration of a true danger that religion can pose.

when faith is used as a weapon rather than a tool to love and care. It's like putting a very sharp knife in a trained chef's hand or a lunatic's hand. It can create something beautiful or become something very destructive
Aug 24 2015 02:08am
I don't usually advocate violence, but I wouldn't mind these savages getting carpetbombed into oblivion.
Gold: 159.02
Aug 24 2015 03:28am
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ 24 Aug 2015 00:24)

people care but there's not much to say past a token show of disapproval. i might enlist if australia takes serious action against isis
Aug 24 2015 04:30am
Quote (Devil_kin @ 24 Aug 2015 04:28)
people care but there's not much to say past a token show of disapproval. i might enlist if australia takes serious action against isis

It's very easy to get mad at the members of ISIS but we need to look at the conditions that are breeding so many angry young Muslim men. What has happened to first enable Ai Qaeda and then ISL to become so successful at recruitment? The US. claims to have killed twenty thousand troops last year, yet also estimates their size to be the same.

Rather than lowering ourselves to the common denominator (killing, 6,000 bombing runs in 12 months) to try and solve the problem. which only seems to be a meat grinder of young Muslim men whom the ISL leaders view as dispensable and we westerners view as better dead than alive. Maybe we westerners should start to view those we are supposedly saving and those we are battling as people of value.
Gold: 5.00
Aug 24 2015 05:27am
Bah.
Aug 24 2015 06:06am
Quote (Lensherr @ 24 Aug 2015 06:27)
Bah.

I see your point but think it's non-nonsensical
Gold: 1.50
Aug 24 2015 06:11am
Not sure how unsung he is, been seeing this story in the news since the day he died.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll