d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Doing Jobs Americans Don't Want > Cesar "commie" Chavez = Pat On The Head
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 633.87
Aug 23 2015 04:19pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Aug 23 2015 05:06pm)
It demonstrates that there are still places in the world where people are exploited, they are literally chained in some instances to their machines Bogie it's exploitation, we here in America have risen above it our workers get paid more than a slave's wage. why is this component of the equation so hard to understand.

To be competitive in the labor market with Vietnam and China American workers would have to work for less than a dollar an hour. That isn't reasonable it's just the corporations finding more ways to reap greater returns. It wouldn't be so damnable if they were in crisis or their profits were down. But that hasn't been the case many companies have moved even while showing strong back to back quarters. It comes down to greed not business.

Stop it. Worker exploitation happens, slavery still happens, but the white-collar workers in Indian tech-hubs like Bangalore are not being exploited. I work with them on a daily basis, they're being paid 6-7x the GDP per capita, and they're making far, far more than what the "unexploited" are scratching out in rural farms.

American workers are worth more because they produce more. As human capital they're inherently more valuable; the result of education and upbringing. A consequence is that it's not cost effective to hire that same educated labor for menial tasks, hence the exporting of low-skill jobs offshore.

High-tech industry is still being done onshore. Service jobs are not ubiquitously low-paying, as I'm sure tech and finance professionals would agree. You can't outsource without accepting a reduction in quality, which for many, many, jobs isn't an acceptable trade-off (my company has recently started taking work back onshore for the same reason).

Ask yourself what $1 an hour laborers in Vietnam can do. Can they provide high-end service to American consumers? Are they at the center of the tech boom? Do they provide innovative financial or logistical services? Americans are not at risk of being run out of work, but we need to accept that simplistic tasks (like putting together cars) are best done by those most suited to the task. And that isn't educated labor.

This post was edited by bogie160 on Aug 23 2015 04:20pm
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Aug 23 2015 05:45pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Aug 23 2015 05:19pm)
Stop it. Worker exploitation happens, slavery still happens, but the white-collar workers in Indian tech-hubs like Bangalore are not being exploited. I work with them on a daily basis, they're being paid 6-7x the GDP per capita, and they're making far, far more than what the "unexploited" are scratching out in rural farms.

American workers are worth more because they produce more. As human capital they're inherently more valuable; the result of education and upbringing. A consequence is that it's not cost effective to hire that same educated labor for menial tasks, hence the exporting of low-skill jobs offshore.

High-tech industry is still being done onshore. Service jobs are not ubiquitously low-paying, as I'm sure tech and finance professionals would agree. You can't outsource without accepting a reduction in quality, which for many, many, jobs isn't an acceptable trade-off (my company has recently started taking work back onshore for the same reason).

Ask yourself what $1 an hour laborers in Vietnam can do. Can they provide high-end service to American consumers? Are they at the center of the tech boom? Do they provide innovative financial or logistical services? Americans are not at risk of being run out of work, but we need to accept that simplistic tasks (like putting together cars) are best done by those most suited to the task. And that isn't educated labor.

There's so many mistakes in there, I would need 5 hours to talk about each one and make quotes of every sentence. Sounds like you're the one being exploited and trying to legitimize it to yourself. By your same argument, the Company you work for should just relocate to the poorest parts of africa and pay a fraction of what they do now - Bangladesh and Vietnam have too many growing human rights - time to pack up and head for more fertile ground.

This post was edited by card_sultan on Aug 23 2015 05:45pm
Gold: 14.88
Aug 23 2015 06:24pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Aug 23 2015 01:48pm)
Americans are coming from a position of inherent strength. If, with a world-class education handed to you at birth, you can't compete with Indian call center workers you deserve what lot you reap in life.

Protecting inefficiencies in defense of your own inadequacy is pathetic. Tech jobs pay well because of competition for talent. That talent will be sought irrespective of whether there are Chinese and Indian immigrants or not. If the Chinese and Indians are winning it demonstrates something wrong with our society, not something wrong with the border.

It's not a quality thing you moron. It's a cost cutting method, or do you really think people who reach call centers enjoy giving their social security number and insurance information to someone who can hardly speak English.

The difference between the Chinese and Indians is that they won't demand fair treatment. They're obedient. They're Theon Grayjoys. They'll quiver and apologize for the slightest miscommunication or shortcoming. They'll let managers walk all over them. That's the society you'd create. Where the underclasses don't even have a voice. Obedient dogs.

You're a fucking clown dude.

Inb4 you report me because you're a cuckolded faggot fuck.

This post was edited by PlasmaSnake101 on Aug 23 2015 06:25pm
Gold: 633.87
Aug 23 2015 07:47pm
Quote (PlasmaSnake101 @ Aug 23 2015 07:24pm)
It's not a quality thing you moron. It's a cost cutting method, or do you really think people who reach call centers enjoy giving their social security number and insurance information to someone who can hardly speak English.

The difference between the Chinese and Indians is that they won't demand fair treatment. They're obedient. They're Theon Grayjoys. They'll quiver and apologize for the slightest miscommunication or shortcoming. They'll let managers walk all over them. That's the society you'd create. Where the underclasses don't even have a voice. Obedient dogs.

You're a fucking clown dude.

Inb4 you report me because you're a cuckolded faggot fuck.

Cost-cutting that may have a demonstrable quality impact. It's clearly not that quality doesn't matter, or else you wouldn't see call center business moving from India to the Philippines. The United States has a $200 billion dollar trade surplus in services, clearly not easily outsourced.

The Chinese are demanding fair(er) treatment, and they have been for decades. We wouldn't be discussing Vietnam if it weren't for rising wages in China, demanded as a consequence of fast-paced economic growth. Besides, it's patently obvious from looking at Japan that costs in collectivized societies do rise alongside level of wealth.

Quote (card_sultan @ Aug 23 2015 06:45pm)
There's so many mistakes in there, I would need 5 hours to talk about each one and make quotes of every sentence. Sounds like you're the one being exploited and trying to legitimize it to yourself. By your same argument, the Company you work for should just relocate to the poorest parts of africa and pay a fraction of what they do now - Bangladesh and Vietnam have too many growing human rights - time to pack up and head for more fertile ground.

Who are you convincing here? I can't make any sense of what you type.

This post was edited by bogie160 on Aug 23 2015 07:57pm
Aug 23 2015 09:38pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Aug 23 2015 05:47pm)
Cost-cutting that may have a demonstrable quality impact. It's clearly not that quality doesn't matter, or else you wouldn't see call center business moving from India to the Philippines. The United States has a $200 billion dollar trade surplus in services, clearly not easily outsourced.

The Chinese are demanding fair(er) treatment, and they have been for decades. We wouldn't be discussing Vietnam if it weren't for rising wages in China, demanded as a consequence of fast-paced economic growth. Besides, it's patently obvious from looking at Japan that costs in collectivized societies do rise alongside level of wealth.

Who are you convincing here? I can't make any sense of what you type.

I'm mainly not even talking about call center. But the reasons for moving call centers already outside of the United States has a lot to consider, mainly when discussing the populations and infrastructure of those nations. However, either way, it was done in the first place as a cost reducing method. I refuse to accept that the average American consumer prefers the Indians above another American. But that really wasn't what I was mentioning in the first place.

I was talking about corporations like Microsoft, Facebook and Disney bringing in non-Americans to replace Americans. We have an over-saturation in STEM graduates, people who could do this work, who have student loans to pay. Instead of them finding related work, they're priced out by immigrants while the corporations I've listed above make away like bandits. I'd be willing to go on a limb and say the education these people have aren't of the same caliber, and I wouldn't be surprised if we observe a decline in innovation in these STEM industries.

So, either we all endure a decline in standards of living in America for the well-being and development of the economies of other nations or we begin to put Americans first. As I've said before, we have a growing wealth gap, stagnant wages, underemployment among young people, and we're losing ground on labor gains made by workers in the past. Quality is a thing of the past. Well made goods and high rated services are history. The cost savings strategy is always preferred. We've seen this as American industry workers lose every time.

Gold: 752.10
Aug 23 2015 10:55pm
Quality products aren't cost effective though. Why upgrade to the newest when you don't have to? I somewhat agree with you Plasma, I remember looking for jobs before graduation and finding all of these h1b mills offering shit. Companies aren't "allowed" to pay h1b's less than citizens but they work around it by creating entire departments of only h1b's. The STEM shortage is a lie, hyped by companies to drive employment costs down. I found out about this my first year, and still went through it with no regrets.
Aug 24 2015 01:48pm
Quote (nobrow @ Aug 23 2015 08:55pm)
Quality products aren't cost effective though. Why upgrade to the newest when you don't have to? I somewhat agree with you Plasma, I remember looking for jobs before graduation and finding all of these h1b mills offering shit. Companies aren't "allowed" to pay h1b's less than citizens but they work around it by creating entire departments of only h1b's. The STEM shortage is a lie, hyped by companies to drive employment costs down. I found out about this my first year, and still went through it with no regrets.

It's true, you have to pay for quality. But there's an obvious difference in the level of quality of mass produced items in America in days long past and what we import from the 3rd world.

On the topic of driving employment costs down, there's a reason why billionaires are the people saying we need more and more of this type of immigration. I'm glad Donald Trump brought up illegal immigration, because it's high time this nation has a long conversation on all forms of immigration. There's a difference between someone outperforming you, which Bogie and Kamahl would argue is permissible if we lose competition to, and a company intentionally attempting to lower the wages of its workers.

On a quality note, let's not forget when Disney imported a bunch of immigrants to replace their tech workers. The Americans who were being replaced had to stay on and train the Indians who were replacing them, obviously they weren't replaced because the Indians had more knowledge or skill. It all comes down to cost cutting, the creation of an underclass. American citizens are hurt through it, I'm not kidding when I say every form of worker's right is worthless when the borders are broken and labor and jobs flow freely between nations, especially overpopulated 3rd world nations.
Gold: 18.00
Aug 24 2015 04:12pm
Quote (nobrow @ Aug 23 2015 11:55pm)

Not really the h1bers fault that residents come out of school with ridiculous debt and aren't able to compete with people who may have learned the stuff outside of the crazily-subsidized US higher ED system and don't need the extra money to pay off a debt... don't blame the players blame the game!
Gold: 752.10
Aug 24 2015 04:39pm
Quote (Cover3 @ Aug 24 2015 04:12pm)
Not really the h1bers fault that residents come out of school with ridiculous debt and aren't able to compete with people who may have learned the stuff outside of the crazily-subsidized US higher ED system and don't need the extra money to pagy off a debt... don't blame the players blame the game!

Even with no debt the jobs at the h1b mills are shit. I remember seeing a posting for one in San Fran for 18$/hr, and it was advertised as being "perfect" for h1b. They are driving down the cost of labor, we have enough stem grads already.
Gold: 2,620.00
Aug 24 2015 05:01pm
I pretty much agree with OP. I think the "doing jobs Americans don't want to do" argument is a pretty silly one.

That said, this country was built on exploiting the lower class. If we aren't exploiting illegal immigrants, we will exploit other lower class citizens, albeit to a lesser extent.

And even if we aren't exploiting anyone in this country, we will still certainly be benefiting from the exploitation of workers across the globe.

There isn't much we can do about that, but it is important to recognize.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll