d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Gender Disparity Between Living Wages > Where's Skinned?
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,617.52
Aug 18 2015 12:09pm
I pulled up a few studies that looked at the differences between male and female wages in skilled professions. Hoping we can share ideas about their cause and prospective improvements.

(1) Right-leaning analysis of wage equality policies (Sciencedirect)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8W2GZmHUgHMRllUcmFBdFNHQmc/view?usp=sharing

(2) Study of wage differences, specifically among dieticians (only has abstract)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17314627

(3) Statistical recordings of wages and effect on wages in three different economies (Sciencedirect)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8W2GZmHUgHMS1hGaHVYQV9YVVU/view?usp=sharing

My distillations from (2) in particular:

-AVERAGE wages between men and women in competitive, skilled professions are about 1.2 standard deviations close to one another

-Differences in wages are attributable to level of education and work volume, and correlated with gender

-Changes in education and work volume showed corresponding increases in wages regardless of gender

Most notably. Gender discrimination exists, even if it is statistically small and its cause not entirely known. My big question is, what can we do to make it better?

I'm obviously standing by this:

-Changes in education and work volume showed corresponding increases in wages regardless of gender
Gold: 2,489.69
Aug 18 2015 12:13pm
My college seemed to think the best way was to force men to walk around in high heeled shoes for a day. They called it "walk a mile in her shoes". Because nothing cures gender stereotypes like reducing the woman's struggle to shoe choice...
Gold: 285.00
Aug 18 2015 12:15pm
It is a symptom of other disparities. If men and women were equals in other aspects of culture they would be equal at work. But look at how many women are on the Senate....if it isn't 50% then it isn't really representative of the population :lol: We're always had rich white men making the rules so clearly aspects of society benefit them just by perspective alone.

Plus women were little more than agents for their husbands up until feminism really kicked off both times. Thank god for feminism, or women wouldn't even be at work and we wouldn't even be having this conversation to begin with.

But if you want to look at disparities in culture just look at who has been making the rules and who the rules have benefits for literally centuries.
Aug 18 2015 12:18pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Aug 18 2015 01:13pm)
My college seemed to think the best way was to force men to walk around in high heeled shoes for a day. They called it "walk a mile in her shoes". Because nothing cures gender stereotypes like reducing the woman's struggle to shoe choice...

A bigger microaggression is that women are expected to wear less clothing at work yet the temperatures are set for people who wear coats in the office during the fucking summer.

That makes me think if the SNAP challenge. What a stupid thing to do. Like people don't know being poor sucks.

/e shit, meant to edit that in.

This post was edited by Skinned on Aug 18 2015 12:18pm
Gold: 5,016.77
Aug 18 2015 12:21pm
Quote (Skinned @ Aug 18 2015 01:18pm)
A bigger microaggression is that women are expected to wear less clothing at work yet the temperatures are set for people who wear coats in the office during the fucking summer.

That makes me think if the SNAP challenge. What a stupid thing to do. Like people don't know being poor sucks.

/e shit, meant to edit that in.

Temperature privilege... that's a new one.
Gold: 0.76
Aug 18 2015 12:24pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 18 Aug 2015 13:13)

Oh come on I bet you looked good in heels, It's amazing what 6-9" heels do for the ass :lol:

Quote (EndlessSky @ 18 Aug 2015 13:09)
I pulled up a few studies that looked at the differences between male and female wages in skilled professions. Hoping we can share ideas about their cause and prospective improvements.

(1) Right-leaning analysis of wage equality policies (Sciencedirect)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8W2GZmHUgHMRllUcmFBdFNHQmc/view?usp=sharing

(2) Study of wage differences, specifically among dieticians (only has abstract)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17314627

(3) Statistical recordings of wages and effect on wages in three different economies (Sciencedirect)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8W2GZmHUgHMS1hGaHVYQV9YVVU/view?usp=sharing

My distillations from (2) in particular:

-AVERAGE wages between men and women in competitive, skilled professions are about 1.2 standard deviations close to one another

-Differences in wages are attributable to level of education and work volume, and correlated with gender

Most notably. Gender discrimination exists, even if it is statistically small and its cause not entirely known. My big question is, what can we do to make it better?

I'm obviously standing by this:

I don't think that anyone is demanding equal pay for unequal production or unequal qualifications. The quest is just for equal pay for equal work .
Aug 18 2015 12:29pm
Quote (IceMage @ Aug 18 2015 01:21pm)
Temperature privilege... that's a new one.

It isn't new if you've actually been listening to these bitches for the past couple decades :lol:
Gold: 2,617.52
Aug 18 2015 12:35pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Aug 18 2015 02:24pm)
Oh come on I bet you looked good in heels, It's amazing what 6-9" heels do for the ass :lol:

LOL

Quote (Skinned @ Aug 18 2015 02:15pm)
Plus women were little more than agents for their husbands up until feminism really kicked off both times. Thank god for feminism, or women wouldn't even be at work and we wouldn't even be having this conversation to begin with.

I'm fearing children were one of the losers in that fight.

We have children-within-wedlock rates worse than many third world countries now.

Quote (Skinned @ Aug 18 2015 02:15pm)
But if you want to look at disparities in culture just look at who has been making the rules and who the rules have benefits for literally centuries.

It depends on what you mean by 'benefit'.

Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Aug 18 2015 02:24pm)
I don't think that anyone is demanding equal pay for unequal production or unequal qualifications. The quest is just for equal pay for equal work .

In an economy governed largely by the whims of human desire, we have to realize the constraints that our policies would have to face.
Gold: 12,983.50
Aug 18 2015 12:38pm
My wife is a resident in medicine and currently searching for a job. Our friend is a male and called/applied at the same place we are looking.

My wife is bi-lingual, scored top 2% in the nation on her step 2 and step 3 exams. Made honors at University of Illinois and made AoA honors in medical school.

He got offered 260k she was offered 215k

He does not speak spanish and does not have honors.

She is more qualified than he is and got offered less.

That is a lot more than 1.2....

This post was edited by herbdoc on Aug 18 2015 12:39pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Aug 18 2015 12:39pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Aug 18 2015 12:24pm)

I did not participate lol.

TBH any time there was a campus wide event i sat out, except for the winter dodgeball tourney. The coated the volleyballs in white athletic tape to make them look like snowballs, but by the time by team got up to play they had absorbed actual snow and frozen. I threw one hard as fuck and a girl tried to pick up one leg to dodge it, it hit her plant leg, and she hit her face on the snow.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Aug 18 2015 12:41pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll