d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Christian Fellowship > Feeling Lost Again..?
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 0.00
Aug 18 2015 08:48am
Quote (omg_banned @ Aug 18 2015 08:23am)
1 John 5:7 in the KJV
7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

ESV
7For there are three that testify: 8the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree.

that is a major difference thta's not just "making it easier to read" which making it easier to understand is a bad argument since

1 corinthians 2:14
14The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

so when people say they cant't understand KJV it makes me believe they think they can understand the things of God without the Holy Spirit

I already understand that three are one/trinity.
So I don't think the changes would negatively influence me.
Gold: 13,891.00
Aug 18 2015 03:00pm
You can also buy what's called side by sides.
So for instance you could get NIV side by side with KJV so you can cross reference, read both side by side and make sense of things.

Do not be swayed by one single Jehovah witness member that seems to be well read.
When it comes to imperative issues of eternity and salvation, do the research responsibly and constantly seek information. Be weary of your source.

If you like sermons on YouTube, I really enjoy John Piper's material.
It's a bit old school in his sound but very relevant. And if you are looking for strick adherence to the Word, I believe his sermons to be among the strongest for that. He's well known and for good reason.

Gold: 13,891.00
Aug 18 2015 03:38pm
And pray like crazy my wife said because the holy spirit will reveal things to you.
Aug 18 2015 06:17pm
Quote (Stealth @ Aug 18 2015 04:00pm)
You can also buy what's called side by sides.
So for instance you could get NIV side by side with KJV so you can cross reference, read both side by side and make sense of things.

Do not be swayed by one single Jehovah witness member that seems to be well read.
When it comes to imperative issues of eternity and salvation, do the research responsibly and constantly seek information. Be weary of your source.

If you like sermons on YouTube, I really enjoy John Piper's material.
It's a bit old school in his sound but very relevant. And if you are looking for strick adherence to the Word, I believe his sermons to be among the strongest for that. He's well known and for good reason.

That's awesome. Thanks man.
Gold: 6,479.31
Aug 19 2015 06:42am
Quote (omg_banned @ Aug 18 2015 09:23am)
1 John 5:7 in the KJV
7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

ESV
7For there are three that testify: 8the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree.

that is a major difference thta's not just "making it easier to read" which making it easier to understand is a bad argument since

1 corinthians 2:14
14The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

so when people say they cant't understand KJV it makes me believe they think they can understand the things of God without the Holy Spirit

I suggest you read this

https://bible.org/article/textual-problem-1-john-57-8

The KJV often does this, which makes people think other translations change the original texts and thus the word of God. People take that to the extreme and often suggest that the KJV is the only true Bible, which is a ridiculous claim since it was translated 1500 years after the original manuscripts and our understanding of ancient Greek and Hebrew culture and language have improved significantly since then. The scriptures you compared are not necessarily comparable, since you included verse 8 in the ESV translation but not in the KJV, if you read verse 8 in the KJV it says the same thing as the ESV, so it is not a mistranslation on the part of the ESV, the part about the trinity is just left out because it was from unverifiable sources.
Gold: 2,837.61
Aug 19 2015 11:49am
Quote (DiS505 @ Aug 19 2015 07:42am)
I suggest you read this

https://bible.org/article/textual-problem-1-john-57-8

The KJV often does this, which makes people think other translations change the original texts and thus the word of God. People take that to the extreme and often suggest that the KJV is the only true Bible, which is a ridiculous claim since it was translated 1500 years after the original manuscripts and our understanding of ancient Greek and Hebrew culture and language have improved significantly since then. The scriptures you compared are not necessarily comparable, since you included verse 8 in the ESV translation but not in the KJV, if you read verse 8 in the KJV it says the same thing as the ESV, so it is not a mistranslation on the part of the ESV, the part about the trinity is just left out because it was from unverifiable sources.

1 John 5:7 ....I didn't think it necessary to include the KJV verse 8 . I only wanted to illustrate that the ESV is different in ways that have nothing to do with making a Bible "easier to read and understand"

Is the KJV God's preserved word in English? If so then versions that differ from the KJV can't also be God's preserved word in English. If not then which version is God's preserved word in English?
Aug 19 2015 12:06pm
Quote (omg_banned @ Aug 19 2015 01:49pm)
1 John 5:7 ....I didn't think it necessary to include the KJV verse 8 . I only wanted to illustrate that the ESV is different in ways that have nothing to do with making a Bible "easier to read and understand"

Is the KJV God's preserved word in English? If so then versions that differ from the KJV can't also be God's preserved word in English. If not then which version is God's preserved word in English?

God's word was originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. There is nowhere in Scripture that suggests there has to be a "God's preserved word" in any language, let alone English. Your thinking is fundamentally flawed and you are teaching a doctrine which is inconsistent with God's character. Any English translation is adequate so long as it expresses the original thoughts and meanings behind the text it has translated. There is no evidence to suggest that the King James Version does this any better or worse than another English translation.
Gold: 2,837.61
Aug 19 2015 12:19pm
Quote (DiS505 @ Aug 19 2015 01:06pm)
God's word was originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. There is nowhere in Scripture that suggests there has to be a "God's preserved word" in any language, let alone English. Your thinking is fundamentally flawed and you are teaching a doctrine which is inconsistent with God's character. Any English translation is adequate so long as it expresses the original thoughts and meanings behind the text it has translated. There is no evidence to suggest that the King James Version does this any better or worse than another English translation.

well i have to go back to work I do enjoy discussing this with you ....just a quick search turned this up on God's preserved word

https://www.chick.com/information/bibleversions/preserve.asp
Aug 19 2015 12:31pm
Quote (omg_banned @ Aug 19 2015 02:19pm)
well i have to go back to work I do enjoy discussing this with you ....just a quick search turned this up on God's preserved word

https://www.chick.com/information/bibleversions/preserve.asp

The King James Version is not the only Bible translated using formal equivalence.

Others translated using formal equivalence: the ESV, NRSV, and NASB, among others.

The reason I recommend these over the KJV, like I've said before, is because they are translated into modern English, not old English. Therefore, for the modern-day reader I believe they are more effective at communicating God's message.

Also, S3th, how have you been doing since receiving the ESV? The important thing is not only to read the word, but to live it out in your daily life.

John 15:13-14
John 8:30-32
James 1:22-25

This post was edited by DiS505 on Aug 19 2015 12:39pm
Aug 19 2015 01:27pm
Quote (DiS505 @ Aug 19 2015 01:31pm)
The King James Version is not the only Bible translated using formal equivalence.

Others translated using formal equivalence: the ESV, NRSV, and NASB, among others.

The reason I recommend these over the KJV, like I've said before, is because they are translated into modern English, not old English. Therefore, for the modern-day reader I believe they are more effective at communicating God's message.

Also, S3th, how have you been doing since receiving the ESV? The important thing is not only to read the word, but to live it out in your daily life.

John 15:13-14
John 8:30-32
James 1:22-25

I walked away from the Catholic Church around the end of highschool/first years of Uni. (I was indoctrinated into from birth.)

Junior year of Uni. I went on a mission trip and was displeased with those I was serving with. The comments they made, were justified but sent an ugly message to me once again.

I then dated a Pentecostal over the summer of 2014. Which she broke up with me twice due to my challenging and non supportive effort towards her beliefs.

Then a friend of mine started to go to AA in December. He asked if I would support him by going to C20 with him. (c20 is a 20+ College Worship/Leader/Public Nondenominational Group started to go and have only missed one or two times since December. (It's every Thursday night)

Since then I've joined numerous small groups, bible studies, worships, different church services.

I'm growing in my walk with Christ daily but I feel as if my past makes the effort extraordinary to someone who doesn't have a lot of knowledge.

To unlearn the Catholic Religion, to debate my old self's beliefs against the Bible and such. (Many of which I have proven false and inaccurate.)

I'm definitely applying what I'm learning through Christ into my life. And have been doing such since December. But it's getting easier to apply as I grow.

Go Back To Christian Fellowship Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic