d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Java Technical Interview
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,380.00
Aug 27 2015 04:22pm
I recently had an interview for an application development position for a financial institution. The first question I was asked was, "What is an object in OOP? Give me an example of one." I used a bankaccount object that I used once in a program...Seemed fitting enough.

Anyways, the next question I was asked was, "If you were on America's Got Talent, what would be your talent?"

Threw me off hard.

Needless to say, I actually got a call the next day saying they wanted to offer me the position...Unfortunately, when they ran my credit a day later, you can't have any current bad marks... I was upset about that one. Now I work PC support at a hospital.

This post was edited by ttdskann on Aug 27 2015 04:22pm
Gold: 20.00
Aug 27 2015 06:16pm
Quote (Tapoo @ Aug 27 2015 06:11am)
You do realize some job interview require some studying?

There are companies that will send you an email with a full list of topic to review/learn to be able to actually perform during the interview.
Not saying this topic is the way to prepare yourself, but i assume he was looking for opinions while he was doing side research on google.

Knowing the slightest bit of a language isn't how you get a good job/a good position to negotiate your salary.

Personally when i'm trying to see if someone is a fit to our projects, i try to ask questions about which frameworks he used/implemented.
If you understand the dependency injection from spring, the persistence from hibernate, etc it will demonstrate that you know the basic stuff as well.

Knowing the benefits of N tier and MVC programming can be good as well. Not everyone knows how to properly structure a project.

I also expect people to know how to properly do junit for a method and mock the rest with stuff like Mockito and Powermockito.

don't listen to ol' t9x.....

guy literally hires devs @ 15-20k to write fucking vaporware, then complains when they aren't good enough
Gold: 57,185.00
Aug 28 2015 08:25am
Quote (ttdskann @ Aug 27 2015 12:22pm)
I recently had an interview for an application development position for a financial institution. The first question I was asked was, "What is an object in OOP? Give me an example of one." I used a bankaccount object that I used once in a program...Seemed fitting enough.

Anyways, the next question I was asked was, "If you were on America's Got Talent, what would be your talent?"

Threw me off hard.

Needless to say, I actually got a call the next day saying they wanted to offer me the position...Unfortunately, when they ran my credit a day later, you can't have any current bad marks... I was upset about that one. Now I work PC support at a hospital.

hope they dont ask me that cause i have no talent and it will be awkward silence
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll