d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Java Technical Interview
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 57,185.00
Aug 3 2015 04:51pm
I have a online java technical interview coming up the the description I got was

"This is a technical interview based on Java modules"

Does anyone know what types of questions could come up? I don't recall hearing the term java modules before is it just normal java questions?

This post was edited by bakalolo on Aug 3 2015 05:12pm
Gold: 3,804.50
Aug 3 2015 06:30pm
would help if you listed the job description. it's probably about some of the basic APIs java comes with. collections, swing, thread, string, wrapper classes, etc
Aug 3 2015 06:44pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Aug 3 2015 02:30pm)
would help if you listed the job description. it's probably about some of the basic APIs java comes with. collections, swing, thread, string, wrapper classes, etc

yea that makes sense ill review those concepts
not too much detail on the job description tbh 2 things mentioned were object oriented design and integration/unit test which I'm assuming has to do with JUnit
Gold: 11.01
Aug 5 2015 05:16pm
What is an object? How do you define an object?

Give an example of polymorphism. (not inheritance and overloading but a real life example) something like a bluray player. It doesn't matter if you put a bluray or dvd in it because it will behave differently in different situations. This is achieved in this case through method overloading. Blurays and Dvds can overload a play() method which behaves differently depending on the disc etc.

When should you use an interface vs an abstract class?

Know how to iterate over a list. For example they'll give you Arraylist<int> a = new List<>; and want you to iterate over it. Don't just do it one way, do it multiple ways. Use an enhanced for loop and also a standard while loop with something like while(a.hasNext()) etc. If you only know one way to do it then they may believe you just memorized it from something you read online.

These are very common questions.
Aug 5 2015 05:24pm
Also, be able to answer questions about Junit and testing. It's not necessarily vital for an entry-level programmer position but you'll have to learn it at some point so may as well have a jump on it.

You might be asked about frameworks and so on as well. Most of the questions I've been asked in interviews are very basic. The harder parts are the coding challenge if they have them.
Aug 25 2015 05:50pm
Quote (HoneyBadger @ Aug 5 2015 01:16pm)
What is an object? How do you define an object?

Give an example of polymorphism. (not inheritance and overloading but a real life example) something like a bluray player. It doesn't matter if you put a bluray or dvd in it because it will behave differently in different situations. This is achieved in this case through method overloading. Blurays and Dvds can overload a play() method which behaves differently depending on the disc etc.

When should you use an interface vs an abstract class?

Know how to iterate over a list. For example they'll give you Arraylist<int> a = new List<>; and want you to iterate over it. Don't just do it one way, do it multiple ways. Use an enhanced for loop and also a standard while loop with something like while(a.hasNext()) etc. If you only know one way to do it then they may believe you just memorized it from something you read online.

These are very common questions.

yep that was pretty much it, I think alot of questions I found online actually..
Gold: 481.00
Aug 26 2015 07:28am
love these threads " does anyone know how i can make a cheat sheet for this?"

if you knew the slightest bit about the language you wouldnt be worried

quit lying to get a job, you dont have any skills and you never will cause you are lazy as hell

This post was edited by t9x on Aug 26 2015 07:29am
Aug 26 2015 11:29pm
Quote (t9x @ Aug 26 2015 03:28am)

quit lying to get a job, you dont have any skills and you never will cause you are lazy as hell

1. where did I mention a cheat sheet? I was merely asking the types of questions that can come up. How would you even make a cheat sheet when the employer can ask you anything?

2. by "wouldnt be worried" are you saying that by knowing "the slightest bit about the language " you will beat out the most qualified candidate everywhere that you apply? you sound like a person that doesn't know shit, no offense

This post was edited by bakalolo on Aug 26 2015 11:42pm
Gold: 18,867.01
Trader: Trusted
Aug 27 2015 05:11am
Quote (t9x @ Aug 26 2015 08:28am)

You do realize some job interview require some studying?

There are companies that will send you an email with a full list of topic to review/learn to be able to actually perform during the interview.
Not saying this topic is the way to prepare yourself, but i assume he was looking for opinions while he was doing side research on google.

Knowing the slightest bit of a language isn't how you get a good job/a good position to negotiate your salary.

Personally when i'm trying to see if someone is a fit to our projects, i try to ask questions about which frameworks he used/implemented.
If you understand the dependency injection from spring, the persistence from hibernate, etc it will demonstrate that you know the basic stuff as well.

Knowing the benefits of N tier and MVC programming can be good as well. Not everyone knows how to properly structure a project.

I also expect people to know how to properly do junit for a method and mock the rest with stuff like Mockito and Powermockito.
Aug 27 2015 12:39pm
Quote (bakalolo @ Aug 25 2015 06:50pm)
yep that was pretty much it, I think alot of questions I found online actually..

Those are the basics. Every single technical interview will ask you those for an entry-level programming position.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll