d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Flying Gun Drone > Technology Ahead Of The Law
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 7,252.72
Jul 23 2015 06:00am
...now that a mechanical engineering student has released a video of his drone firing 4 shots from a semi-automatic handgun as it hovers over his parents property a serious question arises - should we make this illegal ?

As it stands now no current laws against this technology exist in the creators jurisdiction but the FAA is investigating on the Federal level .

It took me about 30 seconds to make up my mind...we can not allow this . There is no sane reason to allow armed drones in the civilian population .

Gold: 2,489.69
Jul 23 2015 06:07am
As a gun right proponent part of me asks, whats the difference between an individual handling a gun and operating a drone that handles a gun? In a perfect world with perfect controls accidents wouldn't be as much of an issue, however i dont think the technology is at a point where people can arm drones and feel they are in control of them. It also seems to bring up issues if a drone should be used to kill someone, depending on the range of the controls, it may be difficult to apprehend the perp. If they are just in a nearby hotel room on their laptop. Overall i agree that they should be banned, as you said there is no sane reason someone would arm a drone, they aren't used in defense.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jul 23 2015 06:07am
Gold: 0.00
Jul 23 2015 06:10am
Non-issue since it's already illegal. The guy who made that video broke the law.

It's no different from mounting a machine gun to the top of your car.
Jul 23 2015 06:16am
Quote (sylvannos @ Jul 23 2015 08:10am)
Non-issue since it's already illegal. The guy who made that video broke the law.

It's no different from mounting a machine gun to the top of your car.

...I just saw an interview with the top cop in his area and he said there is no current law against it .
Gold: 0.76
Jul 23 2015 06:31am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 23 Jul 2015 07:00)
...now that a mechanical engineering student has released a video of his drone firing 4 shots from a semi-automatic handgun as it hovers over his parents property a serious question arises - should we make this illegal ?

As it stands now no current laws against this technology exist in the creators jurisdiction but the FAA is investigating on the Federal level .

It took me about 30 seconds to make up my mind...we can not allow this . There is no sane reason to allow armed drones in the civilian population .

Well just go ahead and ban guns then, because it's the type of gun that matters right? with access to the flying gun we all will become assassins.

Like There didn't already exist rifles that would shoot out your eye at 1,300' already? ...You can't start blaming the gun. if you want to ban all drones then do so but don't ban only drones with guns, because I can show you a drone with some C-4 that would put that 9mm to shame.
Jul 23 2015 06:35am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Jul 23 2015 06:31am)
Well just go ahead and ban guns then, because it's the type of gun that matters right? with access to the flying gun we all will become assassins.

Like There didn't already exist rifles that would shoot out your eye at 1,300' already? ...You can't start blaming the gun. if you want to ban all drones then do so but don't ban only drones with guns, because I can show you a drone with some C-4 that would put that 9mm to shame.

the issue isnt the gun itself tho IMO. It is the accident prone nature of a gun on a drone. If the drone malfunctions in anyway an otherwise safe maneuver with the gun could put a bullet into the sky. It would be like if they made a gun that was incredibly prone to firing accidentally, people wouldnt support that because an accident would be a foregone conclusion.

Edit: also you hav eto take into account that these aren't military grade weapon drones, they are jimmy rigged drones made by someone in their basement.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jul 23 2015 06:36am
Jul 23 2015 06:37am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Jul 23 2015 08:31am)

...total red herring . The thread is about banning armed drones not guns .
Gold: 0.76
Jul 23 2015 06:46am
Quote (thesnipa @ 23 Jul 2015 07:35)
the issue isnt the gun itself tho IMO. It is the accident prone nature of a gun on a drone. If the drone malfunctions in anyway an otherwise safe maneuver with the gun could put a bullet into the sky. It would be like if they made a gun that was incredibly prone to firing accidentally, people wouldnt support that because an accident would be a foregone conclusion.

Edit: also you hav eto take into account that these aren't military grade weapon drones, they are jimmy rigged drones made by someone in their basement.

How many otherwise safe maneuvers on the ground have accidentally put a bullet somewhere not intended? yet people aren't banned from shooting? how many accidents have there been with armed drones state side?

Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 23 Jul 2015 07:37)
...total red herring . The thread is about banning armed drones not guns .

LOL a red Herring? what are they arming the drones with? you idiot?
Jul 23 2015 06:55am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Jul 23 2015 06:46am)
How many otherwise safe maneuvers on the ground have accidentally put a bullet somewhere not intended? yet people aren't banned from shooting? how many accidents have there been with armed drones state side?

Well its a new technology, so the # of historical cases is moot. If i made a new drug could i legitimize it by showing the lack of people that have OD'd on it? I get what you're saying with the accidents but its just different to me, for a couple reasons. First, accidents in your hands are somewhat understandable, you made a bad movement and it resulted in you with your own hands firing a bullet in the wrong direction. Now what happens if a propeller malfunctions while firing? you weren't directly in control so the accident is that much worse. Secondly, accidentally firing in the wrong direction can be illegal depending on the circumstances, you need to fire weapons in a safe place, which is controlled by you being grounded on your feet. Putting a gun in the air makes the chance of firing in the wrong direction more probable by opening many more lines of sight. Lastly im concerned by the remote nature of a gun on a drone, when a man pulls out a gun people see it, if he uses it incorrectly usually there is a person or a camera to point the cops in the right direction to get them, with a drone you could pull up, shoot someone, and then crash it and let the cops grab it while you sip your coffee. On top of that if it isnt made explicitly illegal manufacturers can make drones set up to instantly mount a gun to, which would make it far to available to those who would use them to kill people. My main question in my head as a gun rights activist is "if they are banned who suffers? who doesnt get to use this that otherwise would? what sporting activities are missed out on? are there any uses that are legit for this that will be prevented?", across the board i can see no harm. Banning armor piercing rounds is silly, banning weaponized drones isnt IMO.
Gold: 2,371.50
Jul 23 2015 06:55am
Pretty sure it would be illegal for the drone to leave his property into public streets armed with a gun like that. In his property at low heights is one thing. Just like how you can't mount a remote controlled machine gun to a remote controlled car.. No different than a drone.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll