d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Android Self Project > Question(s)
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,571.50
Jul 22 2015 08:46pm
So this summer I've been working on my first app outside of school. This app is basically a recorder. I decided to break it into 3 Parts. Each part being a completed version of the app but with more features etc...

Part 1 - Start|Stop Recording && Play|Stop Playing -- Just getting the recording aspect understood.

Part 2 - Startup Page that allows for the option to make a new recording or view a list of old recordings. The pause button will not work on this in Part 2, but will in Part 3. Also in Part 2 I will not allow a title to be entered - the title will be defaulted as a time-stamp.

Part 3 - Not to worried about that yet. Main change will be support multiple screens

I completed Part 1 !
The purpose of this post is to act as kind of a way to get feedback / possible guidance on things that I should look into. Also to ask newbie questions...

This is what the design will be like:

This weekend I will be working on getting all the xml stuff done and hopefully wiring up the widgets.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Imma be working on this on the weekend with or without any advice - but advice is most welcomed!!!@!!!

I havn't really worked with Fragments - but my class discussed them briefly at the end of last semester- thinking of trying? idk?
Gold: 1,339.81
Jul 23 2015 09:04am
Use fragments. Even if you have to spend a few hours learning how to use them, it will make your life a lot easier in the long run.
Gold: 2,571.50
Oct 7 2015 03:44pm
Quote (labatymo @ Jul 23 2015 10:04am)
Use fragments. Even if you have to spend a few hours learning how to use them, it will make your life a lot easier in the long run.

Thank you. This is what I've been going with now.

So I didn't really plan out a step-by-step on how I'm going to design this and have been just deciding things as I go.

For example presently I have logic setup to have my media recordings store internally to the device.

But each recording (entry) will have its own set of meta data. I currently plan on storing all this metadata + the directory for the media recording in shared preferences. I plan on looking into gson to convert this stuff into jSon.

Q: Does storing media file internally and saving into shared preferences metadata + uri for each entry sound like an good idea?
^ I thought about going with database, but was told that if I start easy (internal storage) that eventually if I wanted it's not to hard to switch to db.

In ~3 weeks I'll probably post a .git link and ask for maybe a code review. Q: (are GIT links allowed?)
Gold: 3,804.50
Oct 7 2015 04:09pm
GIT links are fine.

i'm a bit shocked someone is still working on a project they started a few months ago. Way too often i see people quit within a week. Keep it up!

As long as you design it well, it should be simple to later store your recordings in a different spot.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll