d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Photography > Which Dslr For Hiking?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,496.00
Jul 14 2015 04:39am
Yo,

Id like to get me a new camera, which'd be mostly used for taking pictures while backpacking, travelling, hiking.

Ive looked into it, but dont know much about photography. Until now I was using waterproof point and shoot(e: fujifilm XP something) and its a very durable piece of machinery but has problems with anything that moves, darker pictures and quality in general.

What entry level DSLRs can you recommend for this? Ive seen quite controversial reviews of Pentax machines, how about the Pentax K200D?

Id prefer a weatherproof model(as abit of rain or dust wont ruin it - for hairier stuff and water activities ill keep the smaller camera). Ill learn the basics of settings and stuff but i dont plan on getting too much into photography - I have a decent udnerstanding of how the machine works and whats shutter time etc. Other important points would be quality in dark/in motion, size and battery life. I prefer to use the little peekhole on the top, not the bigger screen - no idea about the professional names.

This post was edited by TresholdOfUniverse on Jul 14 2015 04:43am
Gold: 6,500.55
Jul 22 2015 01:58pm
I'd look into mirrorless options. They are smaller and easier to lug around on long trips. The bigger DSLR's may be uncomfortable with the longer hikes. Especially with all of the lenses, tripod, and other accessories. With a mirrorless and one or two good lenses, you could be set.

Not sure if they can be waterproof, though. I don't deal with any waterproof equipment.
Gold: 28,550.01
Aug 3 2015 02:26pm
Canon eos M3 is good or if you want cheaper version of it m2 as well..never used M so not sure but it's the same line

but no waterproof...

This post was edited by shibal on Aug 3 2015 02:27pm
Gold: 10,143.57
Aug 4 2015 09:54pm
Quote (Boochie @ Jul 22 2015 03:58pm)
I'd look into mirrorless options. They are smaller and easier to lug around on long trips. The bigger DSLR's may be uncomfortable with the longer hikes. Especially with all of the lenses, tripod, and other accessories. With a mirrorless and one or two good lenses, you could be set.

Not sure if they can be waterproof, though. I don't deal with any waterproof equipment.

going to back this statement, came here to write this.

I haven't had the $ for one yet, but I plan to eventually.

good luck
Gold: 0.00
Aug 10 2015 11:59am
If you're just doing a hiking trail for a few hours then a DSLR would be a great choice.
If you're going backpacking then a point and shoot would be a much better option.
Go Back To Photography Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll