d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Meditation
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 27 2015 01:25pm
Quote (BebebBurns @ Jun 27 2015 02:24pm)
Second link googling meditation masochism
http://pioushippie.blogspot.fi/2011/05/my-tryst-with-masochistic-meditation.html
Good luck
Have fun :)

I wasn't asking for a link, I was asking for your opinion. You seem incapable of giving your own opinion.

Do you have anything to say?
Gold: 152.00
Jun 27 2015 01:28pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 27 2015 03:20pm)
You haven't told me anything. The "talk bullshit and claim it's wisdom" speak doesn't work on this forum.

I've read Mindfulness in Plain English, it was definitely a good book. It reaffirmed my idea of meditation that I learned from Eckhart Tolle... which is that religiosity is only a distraction in meditation.

I think it can depend on the person as well.

For me, it's something I'm still trying to figure out. I am intensely religious by nature and religious aesthetics and experience affect me profoundly. I'm particularly drawn to Christianity, partly because I was raised Catholic, and partly because I think Christianity has the most beautiful aesthetics and artistic history. But I just don't believe any of the Christian dogmas. I'm trying to find some middle ground, but I'm not sure where it is.
Jun 27 2015 01:35pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Jun 27 2015 02:28pm)
I think it can depend on the person as well.

For me, it's something I'm still trying to figure out. I am intensely religious by nature and religious aesthetics and experience affect me profoundly. I'm particularly drawn to Christianity, partly because I was raised Catholic, and partly because I think Christianity has the most beautiful aesthetics and artistic history. But I just don't believe any of the Christian dogmas. I'm trying to find some middle ground, but I'm not sure where it is.

I don't associate my meditation practice much with my Christian faith. I feel that meditation is a tool that one can use to overcome certain mental distractions. Meditation, slowly, reveals who you really are. It shines a light on all the undesirable emotions/thoughts you experience.
Gold: 2,979.69
Jun 27 2015 01:37pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 27 2015 09:25pm)
I wasn't asking for a link, I was asking for your opinion. You seem incapable of giving your own opinion.

When you go past the huger and torment
Calmness and clearheadness comes
You are just at ease

I personally find it much more interesting, going with the flow...!
The struggle is going against it
If you just go for it for those reasons you are missing big part of the result to put it bluntly

This post was edited by BebebBurns on Jun 27 2015 01:37pm
Gold: 152.00
Jun 27 2015 01:39pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 27 2015 03:35pm)
I don't associate my meditation practice much with my Christian faith. I feel that meditation is a tool that one can use to overcome certain mental distractions. Meditation, slowly, reveals who you really are. It shines a light on all the undesirable emotions/thoughts you experience.

There is Christian meditation as well, though I don't know how effective it is comparatively. Meditation is actually a fundamental part of Christianity, e.g. in the Catholic Catechism: "The Christian tradition comprises three major expressions of the life of prayer: vocal prayer, meditation, and contemplative prayer. They have in common the recollection of the heart."
Jun 27 2015 01:40pm
Quote (BebebBurns @ Jun 27 2015 02:37pm)
When you go past the huger and torment
calmness and clearheadness comes
you are just at ease

I personally find it much more interesting, going with the flow...!
The struggle is going against it
If you just go for it for those reasons you are missing big part of the result to put it bluntly

So... why did you call my mindfulness meditation masochistic?

I'll go easy on you since it's a meditation thread.
Gold: 2,979.69
Jun 27 2015 01:59pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 27 2015 09:40pm)
So... why did you call my mindfulness meditation masochistic?

I'll go easy on you since it's a meditation thread.

Oh sorry, just misassumed your post becuase you posted something that sounded like masochism on some other theard :)
But it's curious that you don't connect your religion with it
cosmic religion is the real religion imo
Jun 27 2015 02:19pm
Quote (BebebBurns @ Jun 27 2015 02:59pm)
Oh sorry, just misassumed your post becuase you posted something that sounded like masochism on some other theard :)

That's part of meditation, recognizing the pre-conceived notions we have and overcoming them.

I don't bring religiosity into meditation, though I believe it is a spiritual act. I feel closer to God after I meditate.
Gold: 0.76
Jun 27 2015 02:39pm
Quote (Voyaging @ 27 Jun 2015 14:39)
There is Christian meditation as well, though I don't know how effective it is comparatively. Meditation is actually a fundamental part of Christianity, e.g. in the Catholic Catechism: "The Christian tradition comprises three major expressions of the life of prayer: vocal prayer, meditation, and contemplative prayer. They have in common the recollection of the heart."

Quote (BebebBurns @ 27 Jun 2015 14:59)

Quote (IceMage @ 27 Jun 2015 15:19)
That's part of meditation, recognizing the pre-conceived notions we have and overcoming them.

I don't bring religiosity into meditation, though I believe it is a spiritual act. I feel closer to God after I meditate.

This dialog is important in the path that it led I bolded the phrases as they've worked for me. there is a big difference between bringing christian belief in God and bringing your religious beliefs into meditation. For me when I would prepare for my sermon I would read scripture . Then meditate prayerfully but in a one on one way with God as my center with no religious baggage hanging on. In a meditative state I would open myself up and give my self to God to use as he saw fit. I did this for 4-5 times a week for almost 5 years I never wrote a sermon down or read from notes. I earnestly felt God led. I think you need to drop the baggage of religion when you go in meditation though. keep it simply God and you.

There were and are many days that I meditate just for the sake of meditation and pain relief it works wonders for hat as well.
Gold: 20.18
Jun 28 2015 06:14am
Quote (BebebBurns @ 27 Jun 2015 22:59)

I don't think there is any reason you should connect religion to meditation. You can simply think of it as an exercise of concentration with proven cognitive and health benefits.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll