d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Muslims
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 0.76
May 19 2015 04:21pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 19 May 2015 16:20)
...no , I'm including all of them . That would be called very specific and not " in general " .

He's quite specific in his phobias
Gold: 0.84
May 19 2015 04:49pm
I'm going to make a case here, so bear with me. First of all let me point out that I think there are some very serious issues with Islamic culture in the regions of the Middle-East and North Africa, but I do not like to employ this whole generalization of Muslims being evil jihadists ready to strike as soon as the time is right.

There are a lot of Muslims in the world. I feel that when we in the West think of Muslims, we often picture the angry Arab with an AK-47 in their hands, shouting "Allahu Ackbar" as they fire rockets at infidels. This is understandable, as Western conflict with Islamic terrorist organizations has seared this image into our minds. Yet, during my years in University, I met many Muslims from many parts of the world, and it really opened my eyes to just how diverse the Muslim population is.

When we think of Muslim countries, 99% of us would automatically jump to a place like Saudi Arabia, with its barbaric and oppressive culture. Very few of us would ever think of places such as Azerbaijan, Kosovo, or Indonesia; all nations with huge Muslim majorities. Why? Because they're generally insignificant, not a lot of newsworthy stuff takes place, they don't have serious issues with Islamic extremism, they're not setting out to kill the Western Infidels.

Furthermore, when we look at nations in the Middle-East and North Africa, some of them are actually quite progressive. Jordan is one such example, an ally to the West that has been taking a leading role in the fight against groups such as ISIS. Jordan has a huge Muslim majority, but doesn't twist the religion into some insane interpretation allowing for the unsanctioned killing of non-believers. Another such example would be Tunisia, perhaps the most successful story of the Arab Spring. They have suffered attacks by Islamic extremists as a result of their efforts towards a liberal democratic society. Still, their resolve remains strong.

It's easy to write an entire religion off after people have done terrible things in its name. The sad reality is, we only really focus on those who do terrible things in its name. Not the hundreds of millions of everyday, normal people in plenty of countries who happen to be Muslims without some evil agenda.

This post was edited by PesChye on May 19 2015 04:50pm
Gold: 0.00
May 19 2015 04:55pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 19 May 2015 21:20)
...no , I'm including all of them . That would be called very specific and not " in general " .

I actually agree. Same applies to Christians. I think if the pope called for another crusade then they wouldn't be able to resist and do the right thing either.

If we didn't have laws protecting LGBT people and people of different or no religion I can see Christians slaughtering their way through the entire world... I mean just look at how they do in Nigeria. Perfect example of what happens when you let Christians act according to their religious 'morality'.

Quote (PesChye @ 19 May 2015 22:49)
I'm going to make a case here, so bear with me. First of all let me point out that I think there are some very serious issues with Islamic culture in the regions of the Middle-East and North Africa, but I do not like to employ this whole generalization of Muslims being evil jihadists ready to strike as soon as the time is right.

There are a lot of Muslims in the world. I feel that when we in the West think of Muslims, we often picture the angry Arab with an AK-47 in their hands, shouting "Allahu Ackbar" as they fire rockets at infidels. This is understandable, as Western conflict with Islamic terrorist organizations has seared this image into our minds. Yet, during my years in University, I met many Muslims from many parts of the world, and it really opened my eyes to just how diverse the Muslim population is.

When we think of Muslim countries, 99% of us would automatically jump to a place like Saudi Arabia, with its barbaric and oppressive culture. Very few of us would ever think of places such as Azerbaijan, Kosovo, or Indonesia; all nations with huge Muslim majorities. Why? Because they're generally insignificant, not a lot of newsworthy stuff takes place, they don't have serious issues with Islamic extremism, they're not setting out to kill the Western Infidels.

Furthermore, when we look at nations in the Middle-East and North Africa, some of them are actually quite progressive. Jordan is one such example, an ally to the West that has been taking a leading role in the fight against groups such as ISIS. Jordan has a huge Muslim majority, but doesn't twist the religion into some insane interpretation allowing for the unsanctioned killing of non-believers. Another such example would be Tunisia, perhaps the most successful story of the Arab Spring. They have suffered attacks by Islamic extremists as a result of their efforts towards a liberal democratic society. Still, their resolve remains strong.

It's easy to write an entire religion off after people have done terrible things in its name. The sad reality is, we only really focus on those who do terrible things in its name. Not the hundreds of millions of everyday, normal people in plenty of countries who happen to be Muslims without some evil agenda.

The voice of reason. Grats.

Though I don't agree with that 99%. It might be a majority but I don't think it's quite that high.

This post was edited by Scaly on May 19 2015 04:57pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll