d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Why Democrats Will Win In 2016
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
May 18 2015 01:13pm
To preface, I vote every 2 years and I care a lot more about local elections than general elections. I vote about 70% republican, 30% democrat, give or take. I'm socially liberal, fiscally conservative. However, I think you need to spend money to make money often times. 99% of the reasoning behind my voting is money. I like to think I'm very unbiased.

1. With the exception of a couple potential candidates, Republicans are anti-marijuana legalization. I think this will be the #1 social issue in 2016 and I think Democrats will win that fight. Obama 2008 brought black and young voters out in record numbers. I see a similar event in 2016 if marijuana law gets to be a hotter topic than it is now.

2. Latino voters. Obama and the democratic party has been pushing Immigration law heavily. The funny thing that no one seems to notice, Obama was EXTREMELY strict and deported more illegals than most Republicans. That changed recently of course, but it seems that it's all just a "be on the right side of history" and a set-up for 2016 Latino voters to vote Democrat.

3. Women. Not like this hasn't been done before, but Obama and the dem party have been backing "Lean-In" agendas led by people like Sheryl Sandberg, Meg Whitman, etc.

4. Republicans are still failing to modernize themselves. In the 80s in the Lee Atwater days, College Republicans led a massive right-wing movement. There is sooo little of that these days. They need to reinvent themselves a bit. Plus, they are viewed as the "religious" party. Many fewer people identify themselves as religious and don't wish to be associated with a very Christian party.

5. Moderates. There are about 20% of voters who are like myself, fully willing to vote Republican or Democrat depending on our feelings of the individual candidate, or what the climate is like and whether we feel a more liberal or conservative approach would be beneficial for the current state. Democrats are much more willing to adapt and be bi-partisan, which is appealing to moderates. Republicans have taken a hard-line approach to "no new taxes no matter what" ideology of the tea party. That has left moderates with a sour taste in their mouth. Romney won the 2012 primary on the line that he wasn't a Tea party guy and that he was cool with being bi-partisan. He shot himself in the foot with his "my job isn't to worry about those people" in that 47% comment he made, which ruined moderate voters' view of him as a moderate himself.

I think the only chance the Republican party has to win is Rand Paul or Chris Christie. Republicans come out to vote no matter what. A hard-liner makes no sense. A pseudo-republican like Rand Paul makes a lot of sense. Chris Christie makes sense because moderates find his assertive approach appealing, especially the young-moderate population. He's a very likable character and people find that attractive.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on May 18 2015 01:31pm
Gold: 129.89
May 18 2015 01:22pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ May 18 2015 01:13pm)
To preface, I vote every 2 years and I care a lot more about local elections than general elections. I vote about 70% republican, 30% democrat, give or take. I'm socially liberal, fiscally conservative. However, I think you need to spend money to make money often times. 99% of the reasoning behind my voting is money. I like to think I'm very unbiased.

1. With the exception of a couple potential candidates, Republicans are anti-marijuana legalization. I think this will be the #1 social issue in 2016 and I think Democrats will win that fight. Obama 2008 brought black and young voters out in record numbers. I see a similar event in 2016 if marijuana law gets to be a hotter topic than it is now.

2. Latino voters. Obama and the democratic party has been pushing Immigration law heavily. The funny thing that no one seems to notice, Obama was EXTREMELY strict and deported more illegals than most Republicans. That changed recently of course, but it seems that it's all just a "be on the right side of history" and a set-up for 2016 Latino voters to vote Democrat.

3. Women. Not like this hasn't been done before, but Obama and the dem party have been backing "Lean-In" agendas led by people like Sheryl Sandberg, Meg Whitman, etc.

4. Republicans are still failing to modernize themselves. In the 80s in the Lee Atwater days, College Republicans led a massive right-wing movement. There is sooo little of that these days. They need to reinvent themselves a bit.

5. Moderates. There are about 20% of voters who are like myself, fully willing to vote Republican or Democrat depending on our feelings of the individual candidate, or what the climate is like and whether we feel a more liberal or conservative approach would be beneficial for the current state. Democrats are much more willing to adapt and be bi-partisan, which is appealing to moderates. Republicans have taken a hard-line approach to "no new taxes no matter what" ideology of the tea party. That has left moderates with a sour taste in their mouth. Romney won the 2012 primary on the line that he wasn't a Tea party guy and that he was cool with being bi-partisan. He shot himself in the foot with his "my job isn't to worry about those people" in that 47% comment he made, which ruined moderate voters' view of him as a moderate himself.

I think the only chance the Republican party has to win is Rand Paul or Chris Christie. Republicans come out to vote no matter what. A hard-liner makes no sense. A pseudo-republican like Rand Paul makes a lot of sense. Chris Christie makes sense because moderates find his assertive approach appealing, especially the young-moderate population. He's a very likable character and people find that attractive.

more like Hilary just has it clinched , and all possible republican candidates suck ass.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
May 18 2015 01:29pm
Quote (josh2234 @ May 18 2015 02:22pm)
more like Hilary just has it clinched , and all possible republican candidates suck ass.

Funny enough, I totally disagree. I don't think Hillary will win. I don't think Hillary will win the primary. I think a very similar situation to 2008 will happen again. Hillary is old news, the democratic voters ALWAYS want a fresh face. Someone will pop up out of nowhere and beat her out. Martin O'Malley might be one of those kinds of people.

I do think the Republican field is weak. I still like Christie, despite the criticisms.
Gold: 0.00
May 18 2015 01:35pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ May 18 2015 03:29pm)
Funny enough, I totally disagree. I don't think Hillary will win. I don't think Hillary will win the primary. I think a very similar situation to 2008 will happen again. Hillary is old news, the democratic voters ALWAYS want a fresh face. Someone will pop up out of nowhere and beat her out. Martin O'Malley might be one of those kinds of people.

I do think the Republican field is weak. I still like Christie, despite the criticisms.

O'Malley doesn't have a chance after Baltimore just burned to the ground. Sanders is a likely candidate to beat her in the primary, but I'm afraid he won't win the general election.

This post was edited by CoheedAndCambria on May 18 2015 01:35pm
Gold: 2,407.00
May 18 2015 01:38pm
Republicans just base their platform on religion too much for me.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
May 18 2015 01:41pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ May 18 2015 02:29pm)
Hillary is old news, the democratic voters ALWAYS want a fresh face. Someone will pop up out of nowhere and beat her out. Martin O'Malley might be one of those kinds of people.

So you think Democratic voters are so superficial, they'll vote based on who has the freshest face?

Sounds like you're the one being superficial.

Gold: 9,039.20
May 18 2015 02:01pm
Quote (card_sultan @ May 18 2015 01:41pm)
So you think Democratic voters are so superficial, they'll vote based on who has the freshest face?

Sounds like you're the one being superficial.

Yes, something as simple as race is enough to get a Dem vote.
Gold: 3,100.00
May 18 2015 02:09pm
Interesting read, I believe you portrayed the moderate (leaning conservative) position pretty well. If it wasn't for the bridge scandal Christie would be solid contender, he made all the right moves after hurricane sandy and showed he was willing to be bi-partisan working with Obama.

This post was edited by obisent on May 18 2015 02:10pm
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
May 18 2015 02:17pm
Quote (j0ltk0la @ May 18 2015 03:01pm)
Yes, something as simple as race is enough to get a Dem vote.

Gold: 5,016.77
May 18 2015 02:22pm
Quote (card_sultan @ May 18 2015 03:17pm)

Best argument against affirmative action I've ever seen.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll