d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Medicine Hat Alberta Eliminates Homelessness > By Providing Housing
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.76
May 16 2015 04:17pm
Quote (Comus @ 16 May 2015 16:44)
Good fer the old folks up at Medicine Hat eh?

So the practical solution is not to panic that things are going well in Canada, continue on our course of helping the poor with food assistance, continue providing housing as available to those in need, and a goal would be getting people out of housing and off the streets faster. Controlled charity is the answer. If these people want to live like birds in the sky we have to make sure they're fed and have a warm place at night, even if that place is in the park under the stars. It is about reciprocated kindness, and it is our responsibility to show who is the better man.

drop some privilege please, you really think the bulk of the homeless choose the lifestyle that has been thrust upon them? And you really think that the status-quo is working now in the states when you talk about food stamps and government supported housing , those are both luxury's that the Homeless have not been afforded.

At bold the better man would look at Canada's program and be energized into some action. Start with a flagship city, Not one of the heaviest populated. You don't want the trial run to be over run.
Do you really think that charity is supposed to work that way? You're only working for that "atta' boy thanks a lot!"
Gold: 87.30
May 16 2015 06:52pm
Cheap hosing is almost impossible with all the regulations on building codes / zoning codes in most areas. This might work in a few low populated places but it wouldn't work in a big city imo.
Gold: 268,760.50
May 16 2015 07:49pm
Canada's health system forces government to take care of there population to save money, Americans will follow soon or later

Gold: 50,061.36
May 16 2015 11:25pm
Quote (bogie160 @ May 15 2015 10:01pm)
I want the breakdown on the cost figures. Exactly what was included and what is, what the assumptions are.

You don't know, so I'll give you time to look it up.

Look it up yourself.
Gold: 1.00
May 17 2015 09:32am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ May 16 2015 03:17pm)
drop some privilege please, you really think the bulk of the homeless choose the lifestyle that has been thrust upon them? And you really think that the status-quo is working now in the states when you talk about food stamps and government supported housing , those are both luxury's that the Homeless have not been afforded.

At bold the better man would look at Canada's program and be energized into some action. Start with a flagship city, Not one of the heaviest populated. You don't want the trial run to be over run.
Do you really think that charity is supposed to work that way? You're only working for that "atta' boy thanks a lot!"

wow wtf?

I said to keep doing what we've been doing and try to get them into jobs faster, and that the wealthy need to show compassion and you flame me.

Yeah. Government housing isn't for the homeless? take a moment and reflect on that.

also check your luxiries.

This post was edited by Comus on May 17 2015 09:36am
May 17 2015 09:53am
Quote (Comus @ 17 May 2015 10:32)
wow wtf?

I said to keep doing what we've been doing and try to get them into jobs faster, and that the wealthy need to show compassion and you flame me.

Yeah. Government housing isn't for the homeless? take a moment and reflect on that.

Yeah, You weren't even addressing the Homeless problem we aren't trying to get the homeless into jobs at all, for the most part they only open shelters up if the temperature gets below freezing.

So not an earth moving comment dude. Government housing isn't for the homeless? comes out sounding strange but it's true, it's rent assisted housing for people with dependents who are having

trouble making their rent at the time. A single person off the street won't get Government housing.

if you consider my rebuttal a flame I suggest growing a bit thicker skin and seriously the privilege could do dome push-ups
May 17 2015 10:11am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ May 17 2015 08:53am)
Yeah, You weren't even addressing the Homeless problem we aren't trying to get the homeless into jobs at all, for the most part they only open shelters up if the temperature gets below freezing.

So not an earth moving comment dude. Government housing isn't for the homeless? comes out sounding strange but it's true, it's rent assisted housing for people with dependents who are having

trouble making their rent at the time. A single person off the street won't get Government housing.

if you consider my rebuttal a flame I suggest growing a bit thicker skin and seriously the privilege could do dome push-ups

So you're saying we are not even addressing the homeless problem?

Somehow saying nothing is wrong and we are on the right path actually might be the Earth moving comment we're looking for.
Gold: 285.00
May 17 2015 10:20am
Quote (Comus @ May 17 2015 11:11am)
So you're saying we are not even addressing the homeless problem?

Somehow saying nothing is wrong and we are on the right path actually might be the Earth moving comment we're looking for.

Some individuals are addressing the homeless problem, but it is an informal response and on a city-by-city basis.

Our biggest homeless single's homeless shelter is under attack and having to move because of the gentrification force 3CDC, which is a private city management corporation here in Cincinnati, something that I'm pretty sure is illegal, and at the very least anti-democratic. The woman's shelter was closed down and had to relocate somewhere else after winning a dozen court battles but not having enough money or pro bono lawyers to continue going to court over frivolous suit after frivolous suit. The particular place we have that is a large 12-step program based residential site for veterans who are experiencing homelessness and abusing drugs and alcohol is hanging in well, but veterans are a little harder to beat up on than homeless people and domestically abused women, 3CDC's favorite targets so far among the poor blacks they've been able to wait out of their leases and evict to destroy their buildings. You know, progress mang.

But helping the homeless is pretty much a dead end job that goes no where and pays nothing.

Most of our (not me but the people working on this) efforts are privately funded, and as a result, we have people on every corner holding signs asking for change.

3CDC is run by Kroger, Macys, Proctor & Gamble, Chiquita, Great American Insurance, 5/3 Bank, and the other giants that call Cincinnati home. It is as corporatist of a government as I can imagine that would just let the giants have full control. It is mostly at the consent of the mayor who has a "pocket veto" of being able to control the agenda. There is a current effort to de-power the mayor going on from some of the more willful new City Councilmen, who came in on a sweep and seem to be full of merit. I actually voted for several Republicans for city council because they were so much better in qualifications and what they had done.

http://cincihomeless.org/about/publications/ ---> Some good info on the case study of our city. Cincinnati is a good social sciences lab, good crossroad of cultures between East and West. A lot of social experiments have been done here because of that. PBS channel 48 started here in the pilot because Cincinnati and Ohio in general is such a microcosm of America.

This post was edited by Skinned on May 17 2015 10:35am
May 17 2015 10:55am
Quote (Skinned @ May 17 2015 09:20am)
Some individuals are addressing the homeless problem, but it is an informal response and on a city-by-city basis.

Our biggest homeless single's homeless shelter is under attack and having to move because of the gentrification force 3CDC, which is a private city management corporation here in Cincinnati, something that I'm pretty sure is illegal, and at the very least anti-democratic. The woman's shelter was closed down and had to relocate somewhere else after winning a dozen court battles but not having enough money or pro bono lawyers to continue going to court over frivolous suit after frivolous suit. The particular place we have that is a large 12-step program based residential site for veterans who are experiencing homelessness and abusing drugs and alcohol is hanging in well, but veterans are a little harder to beat up on than homeless people and domestically abused women, 3CDC's favorite targets so far among the poor blacks they've been able to wait out of their leases and evict to destroy their buildings. You know, progress mang.

But helping the homeless is pretty much a dead end job that goes no where and pays nothing.

Most of our (not me but the people working on this) efforts are privately funded, and as a result, we have people on every corner holding signs asking for change.

3CDC is run by Kroger, Macys, Proctor & Gamble, Chiquita, Great American Insurance, 5/3 Bank, and the other giants that call Cincinnati home. It is as corporatist of a government as I can imagine that would just let the giants have full control. It is mostly at the consent of the mayor who has a "pocket veto" of being able to control the agenda. There is a current effort to de-power the mayor going on from some of the more willful new City Councilmen, who came in on a sweep and seem to be full of merit. I actually voted for several Republicans for city council because they were so much better in qualifications and what they had done.

http://cincihomeless.org/about/publications/ ---> Some good info on the case study of our city. Cincinnati is a good social sciences lab, good crossroad of cultures between East and West. A lot of social experiments have been done here because of that. PBS channel 48 started here in the pilot because Cincinnati and Ohio in general is such a microcosm of America.

There was some very crude graffiti put up around my neighborhood in a couple homeless hangout spots reading: 'fuck up / bad cops'

It seems at least that the youth have not lost their sense of irony.
May 17 2015 11:30am
Quote (Comus @ 17 May 2015 11:55)
There was some very crude graffiti put up around my neighborhood in a couple homeless hangout spots reading: 'fuck up / bad cops'

It seems at least that the youth have not lost their sense of irony.

how /b/
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll