d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Hrw Decries Use Of Force In Us Prison System > On Mentally Ill Inmates
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 678.00
May 14 2015 12:46am
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/12/mentally-ill-us-prison-system-human-rights-watch-use-of-force

Pretty disgusting stuff, imo.

Edit: for those interested, there is a documentary called Titticut Folies from the 60s (iirc) that shows similar abuse.

Edit2: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titicut_Follies

This post was edited by hATemOnkEy on May 14 2015 12:49am
Gold: 0.76
May 14 2015 04:42am
when the upper 1% holds 9X% of the wealth. And our country can't afford to run public mental health facilities to give these people the care that they need and deserve. A lot of these "prisoners" are vets. who have come back from overseas without family and without adequate help, so through no fault of their own they land up in prison. We need to bee able to take care of our sick and mentally ill, and not by locking them up like criminals.
Gold: 7,252.72
May 14 2015 05:01am
...when someone actually figures out how to handle violent schizophrenics and bipolars with nice words give me a holla please because I am certain that if we medicate them against their will the same human rights watchdogs will be howling from the rafters .
Gold: 83.30
May 14 2015 05:46am
Treating people well is not profitable. The prisons are acting in line with their goals.

Of course rehabilitation is not necessary when you can just put people away for life for minor offenses and have them slave for you.

The US is the country with the highest incarceration rates in the world, and it's not because everyone's a criminal. It's because it makes loads of money.

I ask you, how much is your freedom worth?
May 14 2015 05:51am
Quote (balrog66 @ May 14 2015 07:46am)
Treating people well is not profitable. The prisons are acting in line with their goals.

Of course rehabilitation is not necessary when you can just put people away for life for minor offenses and have them slave for you.

The US is the country with the highest incarceration rates in the world, and it's not because everyone's a criminal. It's because it makes loads of money.

...how does this address the problem of the criminal or violent mentally ill population ? Rambling rhetoric accomplishes nothing .
Gold: 2,489.69
May 14 2015 06:04am
Quote (balrog66 @ May 14 2015 05:46am)

lol no. that statement is a joke. unless you meant that they just keep coming back. but minor offenses wont get you life, that silly
Gold: 0.76
May 14 2015 07:12am
Quote (thesnipa @ 14 May 2015 07:04)
lol no. that statement is a joke. unless you meant that they just keep coming back. but minor offenses wont get you life, that silly

Maybe the 3 strikes law? That's not minor offenses though.

Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 14 May 2015 06:01)
...when someone actually figures out how to handle violent schizophrenics and bipolars with nice words give me a holla please because I am certain that if we medicate them against their will the same human rights watchdogs will be howling from the rafters .

I do think there's a point where it's better if the state takes guardianship over a mentally handicapped person in a institution set up primarily for that purpose. Rather than a prison guard . Who has no training and really can't be expected to treat a mentally unstable prisoner any different than the other hundred that he's responsible for.

This post was edited by Valhalls_Sun on May 14 2015 07:21am
Gold: 2,489.69
May 14 2015 07:33am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ May 14 2015 07:12am)

I do think there's a point where it's better if the state takes guardianship over a mentally handicapped person in a institution set up primarily for that purpose. Rather than a prison guard . Who has no training and really can't be expected to treat a mentally unstable prisoner any different than the other hundred that he's responsible for.

Mental Health facilities went to the wayside on cost alone, they were insanely expensive to manage. I agree its a tragedy they are not available anymore to most people, sadly im not counting on them coming back, still far too expensive. A good alternative would be homecare professionals but one of the hidden secrets is the amount of 2nd generation special needs offenders. So parental guidance or even training for guardians is largely ineffective. My fiancee is a sp. ed. teacher and out of 12 students this year 5 have parents with special needs. So any at-home instruction they send home does almost nothing. ALOT of cases of mentally ill in prisons fit this bill IMO, ive only worked with 1 special needs offender (im sure more i just didnt notice and/or thought they were quiet) but his parents were also clearly afflicted with some level of learning disability, seemed like the guy never had a chance.

This post was edited by thesnipa on May 14 2015 07:34am
Gold: 500.00
May 14 2015 08:37am
Quote (thesnipa @ May 14 2015 07:04am)

quick google search says otherwis

http://www.alternet.org/man-was-sentenced-die-prison-shoplifting-159-jacket-happens-more-you-think

At about 12.40pm on 2 January 1996, Timothy Jackson took a jacket from the Maison Blanche department store in New Orleans, draped it over his arm, and walked out of the store without paying for it. When he was accosted by a security guard, Jackson said: “I just needed another jacket, man.”

A few months later Jackson was convicted of shoplifting and sent to Angola prison in Louisiana. That was 16 years ago. Today he is still incarcerated in Angola, and will stay there for the rest of his natural life having been condemned to die in jail. All for the theft of a jacket, worth $159.
May 14 2015 08:49am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ May 14 2015 09:12am)

...the mentally ill are treated horribly and they treat their guardians horribly no matter where they are institutionalized . There is no magic bullet to fix it other then drugging them into a stupor .
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1237Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll