d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Ottawa Considering Hate Charges Against Those Who > Boycott Israel
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 540.00
May 11 2015 12:14pm
Scaly currently slitting hard.

The Harper government is signalling its intention to use hate crime laws against Canadian advocacy groups that encourage boycotts of Israel.

Such a move could target a range of civil society organizations, from the United Church of Canada and the Canadian Quakers to campus protest groups and labour unions.

The government's intention was made clear in a response to inquiries from CBC News about statements by federal ministers of a "zero tolerance" approach to groups participating in a loose coalition called Boycott, Divest and Sanction (BDS), which was begun in 2006 at the request of Palestinian non-governmental organizations.

Asked to explain what zero tolerance means, and what is being done to enforce it, a spokesperson for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney replied, four days later, with a detailed list of Canada's updated hate laws, noting that Canada has one of the most comprehensive sets of such laws "anywhere in the world."

Canada, a country where the federal Liberal and NDP leaders also oppose BDS, appears to have lined up more strongly behind Israel than any other nation.

In January, Canada's then foreign affairs minister, John Baird, signed a "memorandum of understanding" with Israeli authorities in Jerusalem, pledging to combat BDS.

It described the movement as "the new face of anti-Semitism."

This post was edited by kyle_lowry2 on May 11 2015 12:15pm
Gold: 0.00
May 11 2015 12:20pm
Holy fucking thought police, Batman.
Why would i be slitting? The law will never pass and I don't live in Canada so even in the incredibly minute chance that it does it won't affect me. Not that it does anyway because I don't take part in boycotts of Israeli products and nor am I part of any group that encourages such boycotts.

Most fail attack on another forum member ever.

This post was edited by Scaly on May 11 2015 12:20pm
Gold: 1.50
ITT: IDF Terrorist cheers as freedoms are stripped away.
Gold: 540.00
May 11 2015 12:21pm
Quote (Scaly @ May 11 2015 02:20pm)
Why would i be slitting? The law will never pass and I don't live in America so even in the incredibly minute chance that it does it won't affect me. Not that it does anyway because I don't take part in boycotts of Israeli products and nor am I part of any group that encourages such boycotts.

Most fail attack on another forum member ever.

I see that you have toned down on your israeli hate. I should have known.
Gold: 500.00
May 11 2015 12:23pm
Gold: 171.76
May 11 2015 12:25pm
Quote (kyle_lowry2 @ May 11 2015 02:14pm)
Scaly currently slitting hard.

The Harper government is signalling its intention to use hate crime laws against Canadian advocacy groups that encourage boycotts of Israel.

Such a move could target a range of civil society organizations, from the United Church of Canada and the Canadian Quakers to campus protest groups and labour unions.

The government's intention was made clear in a response to inquiries from CBC News about statements by federal ministers of a "zero tolerance" approach to groups participating in a loose coalition called Boycott, Divest and Sanction (BDS), which was begun in 2006 at the request of Palestinian non-governmental organizations.

Asked to explain what zero tolerance means, and what is being done to enforce it, a spokesperson for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney replied, four days later, with a detailed list of Canada's updated hate laws, noting that Canada has one of the most comprehensive sets of such laws "anywhere in the world."

Canada, a country where the federal Liberal and NDP leaders also oppose BDS, appears to have lined up more strongly behind Israel than any other nation.

In January, Canada's then foreign affairs minister, John Baird, signed a "memorandum of understanding" with Israeli authorities in Jerusalem, pledging to combat BDS.

It described the movement as "the new face of anti-Semitism."

So being against Israels policies is now anti semitism?

Luckily This law will be challenged, if it isn't I personally will start a crowdfunder and challenge the law myself.

I don't even want to Boycott Israel, but you can't silence a dissenting opinion of a state by calling it Racism .... Completely absurd and won't pass a charter challenge.
May 11 2015 12:25pm
Quote (kyle_lowry2 @ 11 May 2015 18:21)
I see that you have toned down on your israeli hate. I should have known.

I haven't 'toned down my Israeli hate' I don't hate Israelis and never have. I disagree with the policies of the Israeli Government regarding the people of Palestine. I realise in your eyes that means I must be a frothing-at-the-mouth Anti Semite who wants to see every Jew in the world crucified but unfortunately I'm just not as much of a zealot as you. I can disagree with people without having to hate everything they stand for and anything or anyone connected to them.

This thread is nothing but an indictment of your fanatical and fascile thought processes and their complete inability to accurately represent to you any kind of rational reality.

This post was edited by Scaly on May 11 2015 12:30pm
May 11 2015 12:27pm
In other words -

This post was edited by Scaly on May 11 2015 12:28pm
Gold: 0.84
May 11 2015 04:21pm
This is misleading, just as the CBC article was.

They can't go out and simply shut these groups down or sanction them under the guise of hate crime because they boycott Israeli products. It wouldn't stand up in court and this isn't 1984.

This is basically the cons signalling that they're keeping a closer eye on groups like BDS which do a lot worse than boycott Israeli products as a method of getting out the Jewish vote.

A lot of over-reaction to this, the SCC would literally shit on this case if the government tried demonstrate that boycotting products made in a particular country is a hate crime. Consumers have rights and this wholeheartedly gives the finger to the Charter. Something to cons really don't seem to mind doing.

This post was edited by PesChye on May 11 2015 04:21pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll