d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Rub-a-dub-dub More Fighting In The Tub? > South China Sea Heating To A Simmer
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.76
Apr 15 2015 07:52am
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/08/us-usa-japan-carter-idUSKBN0MZ02V20150408

Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter kicked off his first Asian tour on Wednesday with a stern warning against the militarization of territorial rows in a region where China is at odds with several nations in the East and South China Seas.

Carter's visit to Japan coincides with growing U.S. concern over China's land reclamation in the Spratly archipelago of the disputed South China Sea, where Beijing has rival claims with several countries including the Philippines and Vietnam.

Tokyo and Beijing have a separate row over Japanese-controlled islets in the East China Sea.

U.S. and Philippine troops will take part in annual military exercises this month near the Spratlys in the largest such drills since the allies resumed joint activities in 2000..

Asked whether the beefed up U.S.-Philippine exercises were a response to China's moves, Carter said Washington and Manila had shared interests in the region, including a desire to ensure there were no changes in the status quo by force or that territorial rows were militarized.

http://news.yahoo.com/philippines-seeks-help-u-south-china-sea-dispute-110245707.html

MANILA (Reuters) China's rapid reclamation around seven reefs in the Spratly archipelago of the South China Sea has alarmed claimants, including the Philippines and Vietnam, and drawn growing criticism from U.S. government officials and the military.

U.S. President Barack Obama has said Washington is concerned China is using its "sheer size and muscle" to push around smaller nations in the disputed sea, drawing a swift rebuke from Beijing.

"We are, at this point, seeking additional support from the United States in terms of being able to take a stronger position in defending our position, which is to uphold the rule of law," Albert del Rosario, Manila's foreign minister, told journalists.

So next week the US. and the Philippines will take part in their biggest war games to date in that area. I wonder how far China is willing to go to hold dominance over very lucrative shipping lanes that many countries claim a portion of. $5-7 Trillion is no small matter and may be a spark in a already volatile area. One thing this conflict can do is solidify our relations with Japan and Vietnam as their need for a strong "Big Brother" appear more important as China continues to flex it's muscles.

Is it coincidence that China has been flexing it's collective muscles at the same time that Russia is forcibly pushing it's weight around? Is there such thing as coincidence in global politics? I don't believe in a coincidental statement in marriage any more..it pays to catalog, index and store the glibbest of tossed off statements. Let me tell you.

This post was edited by Valhalls_Sun on Apr 15 2015 07:53am
Gold: 633.87
Apr 15 2015 01:51pm
South-East Asia will blow up in the next 50 years while liberals and conservatives alike foam in the mouth over Russia.
Gold: 1,819.09
Apr 15 2015 08:18pm
Spratly island dispute is about China flexing its power against several weaker neighbours. It's not really about shipping lanes, the Spratly's have a multitude of different owners and not one could control the SCS.

With regards to the Senkaku-Diaoyu in the ECS (which is an issue I know a fair bit abou) its such a complex issue I wouldn't know where to begin but I would say Japan doesn't need the United States here. They've maintained sovereignty over the archipelago without American diplomatic aid for the last 50 years they can do it again especially with new thinking about the role of the military in society.
Gold: 633.87
Apr 16 2015 12:39am
Quote (Caedus @ Apr 15 2015 09:18pm)
Spratly island dispute is about China flexing its power against several weaker neighbours. It's not really about shipping lanes, the Spratly's have a multitude of different owners and not one could control the SCS.

With regards to the Senkaku-Diaoyu in the ECS (which is an issue I know a fair bit abou) its such a complex issue I wouldn't know where to begin but I would say Japan doesn't need the United States here. They've maintained sovereignty over the archipelago without American diplomatic aid for the last 50 years they can do it again especially with new thinking about the role of the military in society.

Japan was a far stronger power for almost the entirety of that timeframe. China will be the stronger of the two for the foreseeable future.
Gold: 199.18
Warn: 10%
Apr 16 2015 05:24am
Njoy Asia politics
Gold: 0.76
Apr 16 2015 07:11am
Quote (Caedus @ 15 Apr 2015 21:18)

I'm definitely a layman when it comes to SEA politics but it seems that China has had some little challenges lately like the, Hong Kong umbrella demonstrations, and the mainland disputes over fair prices for land, and corruption in the middle hierarchy of government. Do you think these factors are pushing a flexing of the muscles? Just a show of concentrated strength to any potential adversaries maybe?
Gold: 1,819.09
Apr 16 2015 05:51pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Apr 16 2015 02:39am)
Japan was a far stronger power for almost the entirety of that timeframe. China will be the stronger of the two for the foreseeable future.

Not powerful enough to lodge Japan off the Senkaku islands.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll