d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Jodi Arias - Remember Her?
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.70
Apr 14 2015 08:22am
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 14 2015 05:19am)
sentenced to LWOP.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/jodi-arias-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-without-possibility-of-parole-1.2324233

Even considering the nature of her crime I personally don't agree with LWOP. I think it's inhumane in the extreme. Still if anyone deserves it it's people like her... and it's cheaper than the death penalty too.

Hopefully this gives those affected some closure... The 7 year legal battle is over. Hopefully the victims of this atrocity can move on with their lives.

Best of luck to Jodi Arias too. It's gonna be a pretty horrific life - nobody deserves that kind of torture.

yeah right..... shooting the guy, stabbing him and slitting his throat...... she deserves torture for her crimes

idk why you have so much sympathy for killers...
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 14 2015 08:24am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Apr 14 2015 10:10am)
On a serious note A crime of passion that was built up into so much more by national media, I fear rubbed off on the jurors too, I don't think she would have faced the death penalty had it not been for the mourning sisters faces plastered everywhere in media heaven. Yes he was shot and stabbed, it happens every day, the suspect usually lies about doing it at first too, no big earth shattering story without the tear-streaked faces of his comely siblings is it?

We (the public) make me sick in the hyena'ish way way we will rush to a story raw with emotional pain or grief. Something good and emotional to sink our grey dead souls (or what have you) into for a few fleeting moments just long enough to turn them a shade less grey, a little more caring until we become distracted again. Just long enough for a "kill the bitch!, she should fry!" "look at those heartbroken sisters, just look at them see what she's done to them".

...it was not a crime of passion . It was cold and calculated premeditated murder committed by a sociopath .
Gold: 0.76
Apr 14 2015 08:29am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 14 Apr 2015 09:24)
...it was not a crime of passion . It was cold and calculated premeditated murder committed by a sociopath .

k thanks there. Guess his dumping her and running off with another girl had no bearing on her emotions.
Gold: 83.30
Apr 14 2015 08:29am
I am perfectly fine with sentencing people to life without parole if they have shown they cannot participate in society without being a danger to others.

Though I don't mind if they have some level of comfort, along with in-prison labour.
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 14 2015 08:33am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Apr 14 2015 10:29am)
k thanks there. Guess his dumping her and running off with another girl had no bearing on her emotions.

...her only emotion was narcissistic self-desire ...love and relationships had nothing to do with her motivation .
Gold: 0.00
Apr 14 2015 09:11am
Quote (Warlock316 @ 14 Apr 2015 14:22)
yeah right..... shooting the guy, stabbing him and slitting his throat...... she deserves torture for her crimes

idk why you have so much sympathy for killers...

I have empathy for all people. It's easy to tar someone as 'evil' and create a one-dimensional, cardboard cut-out type image of them in your mind. it makes it easier to think of them as sub-human and justify all kinds of horrific action against them in the name of 'justice'.

Fact is - Jodi Arias is just another person. Complex and with her own thoughts and emotions. Contrary to what Widow says she doesn't fit the DSMIV definition of a sociopath. She's more likely afflicted by borderline personality disorder (as the prosecution argued) or narcissistic personality disorder. She's going to live in hell for the rest of her life with no hope of reprieve or redemption. I feel sorry for her. Just as I feel sorry for her victim and the family and friends, hers and her victim's, that are affected by her horrific actions. She fucked up... now she's receiving the worst punishment possible within the American penal system. The only comfort to her will be the fame she receives for these actions, as that wanes through the years and people forget who she is and what she did she is going to break down in ways and under pressures you and I cannot imagine.

An expeditious death sentence would be the most humane course of action in this case.

Quote (balrog66 @ 14 Apr 2015 14:29)
I am perfectly fine with sentencing people to life without parole if they have shown they cannot participate in society without being a danger to others.

Though I don't mind if they have some level of comfort, along with in-prison labour.

People serving LWOP have even less than most other prisoners. I would argue that the conditions of their incarceration are a gross violation of decency and humanity.

This post was edited by Scaly on Apr 14 2015 09:15am
Gold: 285.00
Apr 14 2015 10:06am
They should chop off the heads of murders or not. None of this nonsense about racially, sexually, and attractively stratified punishments.
Gold: 0.76
Apr 14 2015 10:20am
Quote (Scaly @ 14 Apr 2015 10:11)
I have empathy for all people. It's easy to tar someone as 'evil' and create a one-dimensional, cardboard cut-out type image of them in your mind. it makes it easier to think of them as sub-human and justify all kinds of horrific action against them in the name of 'justice'.

Fact is - Jodi Arias is just another person. Complex and with her own thoughts and emotions. Contrary to what Widow says she doesn't fit the DSMIV definition of a sociopath. She's more likely afflicted by borderline personality disorder (as the prosecution argued) or narcissistic personality disorder. She's going to live in hell for the rest of her life with no hope of reprieve or redemption. I feel sorry for her. Just as I feel sorry for her victim and the family and friends, hers and her victim's, that are affected by her horrific actions. She fucked up... now she's receiving the worst punishment possible within the American penal system. The only comfort to her will be the fame she receives for these actions, as that wanes through the years and people forget who she is and what she did she is going to break down in ways and under pressures you and I cannot imagine.

An expeditious death sentence would be the most humane course of action in this case.

People serving LWOP have even less than most other prisoners. I would argue that the conditions of their incarceration are a gross violation of decency and humanity.

I agree here, I think for us to use the penal system to "punish" is the wrong approach, people who are found to be a menace to society should be removed so that they aren't a danger to society, but the life of solitary confinement is doing nothing but adding to the punishment of taking the person out of society. No matter what their crime they deserve the basic creature comforts of distraction and exercise. When we deny these basic things we become torturers ourselves. Our viciousness in retaliation for a crime that can never be repaid takes some of our humanity along with the prisoners every day they are forced to to stay secluded.
Apr 14 2015 10:32am
She's a murderer and deserves to be sentenced to death. Our tax money shouldn't be wasted keeping her alive in a cell.
Apr 14 2015 10:38am
Quote (DPRK @ 14 Apr 2015 16:32)
She's a murderer and deserves to be sentenced to death. Our tax money shouldn't be wasted keeping her alive in a cell.

LWOP is cheaper than the death sentence.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll