d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Should Ncaa Atheletes Be Paid?
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Apr 13 2015 02:30pm
No. School kids should be going to school.

Scholarships for sport are ridiculous. Fucking over-privileged meatheads.

Everybody should learn English, Math and Science at least. The extent to which these knuckleheads are worshipped and exempted from having to have any actual knowledge is disgusting. Here - have an A for math because you scored a touchdown last game. Fucking disgusting shit and extremely unfair to the people who actually work for their grades.

So not only should the universities not pay them they should not give them scholarships? Essentially pocketing all of the money rather than "paying" for student-athletes' educations?

I cant link it but you should perhaps read the article about whether or not athletes are overpaid, it may interest you. Essentially high level athletes make up a tiny part of the 1% elite in their field, have career ending injuries quite frequently, and travel for up to 2/3 the year.
Gold: 0.76
Apr 13 2015 02:36pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ 13 Apr 2015 14:44)
No, but schools should be able to offer a variety of services free to athletes, such as on-campus housing and food, in addition to scholarships.

errrr...isn't this already in practice? oh add cars and "tutors" for the top notch players.

I think they should keep the kids as far away from the money as possible, If they become younger "pro" players I'll just give up on sports, I stopped watching the NBA when the Bulls threepeted.. I figured I'd never see a team as good and as far as i can tell there hasn't been. Pro-football is still ok simply because they have a larger field. CFB is much better. There is an honesty in amateur sports that you won't hardly find in the pros.

I think Paying the players will ruin the honesty that these kids play with. Sure they are playing for their future especially when there are scouts watching, but they are playing for it, and each other, and their team. They aren't playing with the knowledge of a paycheck already written for the game that he's playing in.
Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 13 2015 02:51pm
I wouldn't have a problem with it. They make their schools tons of money while risking their own future.
They are already compensated in other ways, and sometimes under the table. Wouldn't we rather keep it above board instead of rewarding only those who are dishonest and cheating?

I find the whole "omg did he receive this benefit or gift or discount or sell something of his own in contravention of the rules" witch hunting to be a bit ridiculous.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Apr 13 2015 02:54pm
Gold: 7,351.00
Apr 13 2015 03:03pm
I seen a debate on this issue recently and i agree with what one of the speakers said. Should the players be paid in the traditional sense? No, because that would really destroy their prospects of focusing on their education and will just look for pay days. The speaker said if anything some of that money should be used for example to setup trust funds for those students. Also there are many life long injuries that comes from lets say college football but after they graduate the school no longer pays for treatment of those injuries, i think some of that money should be divested into a special fund for injuries.

Also lets say we do decide to pay them how do we decide who makes what? Is it going to be similar to the NFL? Does the QB and other star players get massive amounts of money while others don't? What about other sports that are less popular should those students get paid? In my opinion divest part of that money to help those athletes in some way but putting big money into the hands of 20 year old students is going to cause more harm to them than if they didn't get paid. They won't care about the education and once their done with school and didn't make the NFL a lot of these young people are going to be left scratching their head.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 13 2015 03:19pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Apr 13 2015 02:51pm)
it looks to be a billion dollar industry where the schools and coaches get paid but the players do not as the ncaa wants to protect student athletes from commercial exploitation

there are also talks of unionization amongst the players which the ncaa is opposed to

yay/nay? thoughts on unionization for the players?

I tutor athletes at a Division 1 university (and have read about 100 essays by the athletes on how they should be paid), and I am inclined to say yes. I see how ridiculous their schedules are for certain sports.

My problem is how much and with which sports. Sometimes women's golf travels 3 days a week and they have to miss a bunch of class, sometimes they don't travel the whole semester. Sometimes football players have to wake up at 6 a.m. and work out til 10. Eat. Then practice at noon. Eat/Shower. Tutor and then go to class at 5. It's insane.

This post was edited by CoheedAndCambria on Apr 13 2015 03:22pm
Gold: 45.00
Apr 13 2015 03:50pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Apr 13 2015 03:36pm)
errrr...isn't this already in practice? oh add cars and "tutors" for the top notch players.

I think they should keep the kids as far away from the money as possible, If they become younger "pro" players I'll just give up on sports, I stopped watching the NBA when the Bulls threepeted.. I figured I'd never see a team as good and as far as i can tell there hasn't been. Pro-football is still ok simply because they have a larger field. CFB is much better. There is an honesty in amateur sports that you won't hardly find in the pros.

I think Paying the players will ruin the honesty that these kids play with. Sure they are playing for their future especially when there are scouts watching, but they are playing for it, and each other, and their team. They aren't playing with the knowledge of a paycheck already written for the game that he's playing in.

colleges already cheat them with substandard education,

dont provide full coverage as far as housing and meal's

if you think athletes are students first then athletes you never played a sport.

Your in meetings and lifting between classes after classes you got 3 hours of practice daily usually off on the weekends then you got games on saturdays.

When exactly do you have time to be a student.

the biggest joke is the NCAA rules on what the athletes could get if a non athlete gets freebies for knowing ppl nothing happens.

If your buds dad owns a restaurant and gives you free food cuz your meal plan is crap NCAA gets on you like white on rice.

There is too many gaps in scholarships esp for those without means and those gaps are usually not part of FAFSA etc.

You don't have to pay them Just get rid of the bullshit rules that don't allow them to profit off their likeliness why can only the schools exploit your athleticism?

Get rid of the shit that has to deal with receiving perks from people that know you its all crap.

As is athletes cant get jobs due to class/Sport schedules.

This post was edited by southpark247 on Apr 13 2015 03:52pm
Gold: 1,819.09
Apr 13 2015 05:28pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Apr 13 2015 03:11pm)
it looks their grades can be artificially inflated by the schools thesmelves

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/80240/FSUNCAAReport.pdf?_ga=1.162885055.2000036278.1426528777

Grade inflation is an entirely different issue that spans issues many more issues than just student-athletes. If athletes ought to be paid we can settle the conditions of this after this debate is over.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 13 2015 05:29pm
Quote (balrog66 @ Apr 13 2015 02:10pm)
Take professional level sports clubs out of education. Having both in the same institution makes for a lot of conflicting interests.

This +1.
Gold: 1,819.09
Apr 13 2015 05:39pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 13 2015 07:29pm)
This +1.

A noble idea but good luck getting Universities whom use their sports teams as major revenue streams to stop monetizing them.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 13 2015 06:26pm
Quote (Caedus @ Apr 13 2015 06:39pm)
A noble idea but good luck getting Universities whom use their sports teams as major revenue streams to stop monetizing them.

My university is all sports and research.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll