d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Racial Responsibility > A Look In At The End Of White Privilege?
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.76
Apr 12 2015 05:31am
Quote (TJI_KS @ 10 Apr 2015 21:50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGJt0JXX05M

thought it was worth sharing.

Don't prejudge.. Give him a listen, and if two minutes goes by without you being convinced then I will refund you those two minutes...

he's a good guy, I like his "take " on racism. It just shows that there are freethinkers in every subsection.

good vid. thanks.

Quote (IceMage @ 11 Apr 2015 15:24)
The voter ID issue is just another illustration of the low expectations liberals have of the black community. To think that black people aren't capable of acquiring ID's, or having ID's, is insanely racist IMO.

Nobody said Blacks per se' it was probably more Hispanic, and just low income people that were affected. The timing of the laws was transparently The almost impossible circumstances that stood between many older folks and a current ID. or license in southern Texas was pretty telling as well, It did become fiscally as well as physically impossible to get the right paperwork to vote in the same elections that they were used to voting in.

Gold: 18,470.03
Apr 12 2015 07:40am
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 11 2015 08:55pm)
I feel like I'm being trolled a little here...

It's no harder for black people to get work, racism exists but it goes both ways. I really don't see how white privilege affects the UK in any meaningful way and it definitely doesn't affect my county.

Pretty much exactly how i feel about my country. I live in one of the blackest parts of the country. There are black people going to work all around me, raising families, doing the right thing. Nothing and no one is holding them back.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 12 2015 09:59am
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 11 2015 08:55pm)
I feel like I'm being trolled a little here...

It's no harder for black people to get work, racism exists but it goes both ways. I really don't see how white privilege affects the UK in any meaningful way and it definitely doesn't affect my county.

Really? How many blacks do you have in Parliament? How many do you have on your highest courts? How many black Prime Ministers have you had in your history?

What about leadership of the major private organizations throughout the UK? Positions of prominence in banks? High ranking officers within the NHS system? What about represented on your television shows? News anchors? Television show hosts?

Maybe individual Brits aren't that racist against black people, but the culture as a whole? When I see British leaders on television, I rarely see somebody with tan skin. I see a lot of people who look like David Cameron and that Millibrand guy though. Lots of blue-blooded tea-baggers. I could be wrong, I haven't been to the UK in almost two decades and I wasn't there examining race relations.

I'm reading now that unemployment for black British individuals is much higher than white British individuals, by a few percentage points (12% vs 16% 2014, Pakistani 15%, and Bangladeshi 17%).

Blacks are arrested disproportionately more than whites, black people were seven times more likely to be stopped and searched by police compared to white people, according to the Home Office, and separate study said blacks were more than nine times more likely to be searched.

Maybe you should ask around with your Afro-Caribbean friends, or whatever they call black people in your country.
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 12 2015 10:58am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 12 2015 10:59am)
Really? How many blacks do you have in Parliament? How many do you have on your highest courts? How many black Prime Ministers have you had in your history?

What about leadership of the major private organizations throughout the UK? Positions of prominence in banks? High ranking officers within the NHS system? What about represented on your television shows? News anchors? Television show hosts?

Maybe individual Brits aren't that racist against black people, but the culture as a whole? When I see British leaders on television, I rarely see somebody with tan skin. I see a lot of people who look like David Cameron and that Millibrand guy though. Lots of blue-blooded tea-baggers. I could be wrong, I haven't been to the UK in almost two decades and I wasn't there examining race relations.

I'm reading now that unemployment for black British individuals is much higher than white British individuals, by a few percentage points (12% vs 16% 2014, Pakistani 15%, and Bangladeshi 17%).

Blacks are arrested disproportionately more than whites, black people were seven times more likely to be stopped and searched by police compared to white people, according to the Home Office, and separate study said blacks were more than nine times more likely to be searched.

Maybe you should ask around with your Afro-Caribbean friends, or whatever they call black people in your country.

Exactly. Britain has a similar racial history as we do, including slavery and segregation.

I think the main difference is that Britain doesn't seem to educate their populace on it's racial divide, and thus the society sweeps the issue under the rug, pretending they are not rabid racists. America at least has the ability to look at our own issues objectively.. yet another thing Brits should learn from us.

This post was edited by IceMage on Apr 12 2015 10:59am
Apr 12 2015 11:00am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Apr 12 2015 06:31am)
Nobody said Blacks per se' it was probably more Hispanic, and just low income people that were affected. The timing of the laws was transparently The almost impossible circumstances that stood between many older folks and a current ID. or license in southern Texas was pretty telling as well, It did become fiscally as well as physically impossible to get the right paperwork to vote in the same elections that they were used to voting in.

I believe PA passed a voter ID law, but they didn't put it into action until the next election, giving the black community a few years to come up with the money for a cab and get to the DMV.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 12 2015 11:22am
Quote (Skinned @ 12 Apr 2015 15:59)

Some of our most famous news anchors are black or indian... Trevor McDonald etc... Barbara Blake was a news Anchor back in the 70's. We have plenty of black MPs and Doctors. I couldn't tell you about the banks... I have no idea. If you rarely see somebody with dark skin on TV it's because outside of London, Manchester and Birmingham those with dark skin are a tiny minority.

In my county we call black people people. If we have to refer to their skin colour for any reason we say black or coloured and nobody bats an eye. Because we just don't care. People are people - and again, outside of the major cities where the American 'gangsta culture' is an issue, there is very little difference or voluntary segregation between people of different races.

This is only the impression I get from having moved around a lot and meeting many people of all races. What i can say for sure is that in my county there is no institutional racism. The only possible racism would be from a very small minority - i.e. that bloke down the pub who just can't bring himself to trust 'negros'.
Apr 12 2015 11:43am
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 12 2015 12:22pm)
Some of our most famous news anchors are black or indian... Trevor McDonald etc... Barbara Blake was a news Anchor back in the 70's. We have plenty of black MPs and Doctors. I couldn't tell you about the banks... I have no idea. If you rarely see somebody with dark skin on TV it's because outside of London, Manchester and Birmingham those with dark skin are a tiny minority.

In my county we call black people people. If we have to refer to their skin colour for any reason we say black or coloured and nobody bats an eye. Because we just don't care. People are people - and again, outside of the major cities where the American 'gangsta culture' is an issue, there is very little difference or voluntary segregation between people of different races.

This is only the impression I get from having moved around a lot and meeting many people of all races. What i can say for sure is that in my county there is no institutional racism. The only possible racism would be from a very small minority - i.e. that bloke down the pub who just can't bring himself to trust 'negros'.

Your anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. I've never witnessed real racism before, but I don't pretend that there isn't racism in my society.
Apr 12 2015 11:54am
Quote (IceMage @ 12 Apr 2015 17:43)
Your anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. I've never witnessed real racism before, but I don't pretend that there isn't racism in my society.

There are racist elements in every society. Does that make the society itself inherently racist?
Gold: 285.00
Apr 12 2015 12:32pm
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 12 2015 12:22pm)

A bunch of my peers were just in London for a social work trip and the blacks amongst them informed me they were "Afro-Caribbean" when there instead of "African-Americans". They also mentioned the word "black" had negative connotations, while here it is just descriptive and overly PC white people are the only ones who don't say it.

And Indians and Blacks are categorically different. If you look at racial science Caucasians from the Indian subcontinent are similar enough to the people doing the science top be ranked higher than the people who are less similar. If you look at classic races (Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid, Australoid) Indians fall into the Caucasoid category, and share our same phenotypes...eye features, noses, lips, hairlines, etc, with different dominate traits within society based on genetic transmissions and classic Mendelian genetics. Plus given Britain's history, and India's relative power to them, and the prevailing racial science undertones in our essentialist epistemology, it makes sense that Indians are franchised.

I was able to find one Black British member of the House of Commons, and there is a Jamaican as well. I might have missed some though, your parliamentary system is different than our executive system.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 12 2015 12:51pm
Apr 12 2015 01:11pm
Quote (Skinned @ 12 Apr 2015 18:32)
A bunch of my peers were just in London for a social work trip and the blacks amongst them informed me they were "Afro-Caribbean" when there instead of "African-Americans". They also mentioned the word "black" had negative connotations, while here it is just descriptive and overly PC white people are the only ones who don't say it.

And Indians and Blacks are categorically different. If you look at racial science Caucasians from the Indian subcontinent are similar enough to the people doing the science top be ranked higher than the people who are less similar. If you look at classic races (Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid, Australoid) Indians fall into the Caucasoid category, and share our same phenotypes...eye features, noses, lips, hairlines, etc, with different dominate traits within society based on genetic transmissions and classic Mendelian genetics. Plus given Britain's history, and India's relative power to them, and the prevailing racial science undertones in our essentialist epistemology, it makes sense that Indians are franchised.

I was able to find one Black British member of the House of Commons, and there is a Jamaican as well. I might have missed some though, your parliamentary system is different than our executive system.

London is different... It's weird there and I don't like it :P
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll