d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > American News Is A Joke > Let's Not Even Try For Fairness
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 171.76
Apr 9 2015 12:39pm
http://fair.org/blog-entries/media-were-already-running-with-police-fantasy-when-video-exploded-it/

A series of articles...basically reprinting the police report as fact...

truer words I have never witnessed before as the following

"In a corporate media environment where government officials are routinely given benefit of the doubt while those outside of power are treated with incredulity if not hostility, perhaps the Scott shooting can serve as a stark reminder to crime reporters that in the wake of a police killing, what police say should be treated with as much skepticism as any account offered up by those whose lives and careers are on the line."
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 9 2015 12:46pm
The media works with the information that they have... they really did nothing wrong or incorrect.

Also funny you think a local affiliate for CBS represents American media as a whole.

I'm starting to think you have a mental problem... you literally think the same as you did 8 years ago.
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 9 2015 12:49pm
...national media broke the correct version as soon as the video was released and it's the lead story on almost every major news outlet .
Gold: 63,142.89
Apr 9 2015 12:52pm
As much skepticism? perhaps even more skepticism.

But that skepticism should be applied by us, the audience. Not by the ones doing the reporting. The reporters should just state facts.

If a news outlets gives a summary of the police report, that's fine as long as they present it as quotes from the report not as a factual account of the incident.
Apr 9 2015 12:58pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Apr 9 2015 02:49pm)
...national media broke the correct version as soon as the video was released and it's the lead story on almost every major news outlet .

And BEFORE that?

Why do we not treat a police officers story with the same skepticism that we would any other persons?

Just because he wrote a report doesn't make it a fact....if that Video HADN'T been videotaped, you'd just believe what the report says as 100% fact and never question it

This post was edited by bitg_pj on Apr 9 2015 12:59pm
Apr 9 2015 12:59pm
Quote (kayeto @ Apr 9 2015 02:52pm)
As much skepticism? perhaps even more skepticism.

But that skepticism should be applied by us, the audience. Not by the ones doing the reporting. The reporters should just state facts.

If a news outlets gives a summary of the police report, that's fine as long as they present it as quotes from the report not as a factual account of the incident.

While providing an initial qualifier of “spokesman said,” NBC affiliate News 2, would do one better and go on to drop this modifier altogether and simply report the police account as fact:
The officer deployed his department-issued taser in an effort to detain the driver, which was not effective. An altercation between the officer and the driver took place, leading to a struggle over the officer’s taser. During the struggle, the suspect gained control of the taser to use it against the officer.
The officer then discharged his service weapon to stop the threat.
Even though lifesaving efforts were conducted by officers prior to EMS’s arrival and EMS efforts on scene, the suspect was pronounced dead.

a news station repeated the police report as fact and no one questions it
Apr 9 2015 01:00pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 9 2015 02:46pm)
The media works with the information that they have... they really did nothing wrong or incorrect.

Also funny you think a local affiliate for CBS represents American media as a whole.

I'm starting to think you have a mental problem... you literally think the same as you did 8 years ago.

If you think this is isolated you're the one with a mental health issue...lol
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 9 2015 01:03pm
Quote (bitg_pj @ Apr 9 2015 02:58pm)
And BEFORE that?

Why do we treat a police officers story with the same skepticism that we would any other persons?

Just because he wrote a report doesn't make it a fact....if that Video HADN'T been videotaped, you'd just believe what the report says as 100% fact and never question it

...so here's what you should do

...get some dark shoe polish and do yourself up in blackface...make a picket sign that says -

NO JUSTICE - NO PEACE - NO AMERICAN MILITARY JETS OVER CANADA

...have yourself a swell time at your protest march .
Gold: 63,142.89
Apr 9 2015 01:05pm
Quote (bitg_pj @ Apr 9 2015 01:59pm)
While providing an initial qualifier of “spokesman said,” NBC affiliate News 2, would do one better and go on to drop this modifier altogether and simply report the police account as fact:
The officer deployed his department-issued taser in an effort to detain the driver, which was not effective. An altercation between the officer and the driver took place, leading to a struggle over the officer’s taser. During the struggle, the suspect gained control of the taser to use it against the officer.
The officer then discharged his service weapon to stop the threat.
Even though lifesaving efforts were conducted by officers prior to EMS’s arrival and EMS efforts on scene, the suspect was pronounced dead.

a news station repeated the police report as fact and no one questions it

false

I don't know about you, but if I hear the phrase "a spokesman said" my ears immediately perk up and get ready to be lied to. Spokesman is a modern term for liar.

Whereas if a news report said "multiple eyewitness accounts from bystanders siad" i would view the following words in a different light
Apr 9 2015 01:11pm
Quote (kayeto @ Apr 9 2015 03:05pm)
false

I don't know about you, but if I hear the phrase "a spokesman said" my ears immediately perk up and get ready to be lied to. Spokesman is a modern term for liar.

Whereas if a news report said "multiple eyewitness accounts from bystanders siad" i would view the following words in a different light

You didn't read that right.....News 2 dropped that modifier altogether....
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll