d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > My Views On Helping The Poor
Prev123429Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 8 2015 09:43am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 8 2015 03:37pm)
I've been working since I was 15. I worked at a carry out pizza restaurant for 8 years, including thru all 4 years of undergrad. Graduated in 2011 with a bachelors, 2013 with a masters in business administration. I worked a 40-50 hours+ a week white collar sales job from 2011 -> including when I got my MBA full time at night.

I got fired on New years eve 2013 when the start-up I was working for collapsed due to the CEO being raided by the SEC and FTC for taking money illegally from a gov't program. I got a new job 3 days later as a commission-only salesperson. I didn't make a lot, but I made about $350/week while applying for better jobs, and that kept some canned veggies in my mouth and a roof over my head. Then I landed an awesome job in early February and I'm making beyond 6 figures. So yeah, it took me over a month to "find a new job" but I worked at a job that I snagged in 2 days after being fired because I didn't mope. I literally went to a temp agency the day I got fired and they connected me with a sales company that had nothing to lose hiring a commission-only sales rep, so of course they hired me in 2 seconds and I started the next day. I could've just as easily gotten a serving job, retail job, etc. Just drive around and scour Craigslist for 12 hours a day til you land something. It's way easier than people make it out to be.

My point is, get a shitty job temporarily while you find a good job rather than mooching unemployment while you interview/apply.

In your case, when you graduated you should've gotten a restaurant job or retail job for 3 months until you could find a job that suited what you got your degree in, or whatever your goal was. Not sitting on your ass applying and interviewing and doing no work for 3 months.

You seem like an intelligent person, but man you lack common sense.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 8 2015 09:44am
Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Apr 8 2015 10:43am)
You seem like an intelligent person, but man you lack common sense.

youre gonna have to expound upon that before making a generalization about common sense in this scenario. Make an argument on why it is difficult to find a job in less than 1 week and then maybe i'll give some due credit.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 8 2015 09:46am
Gold: 500.00
Apr 8 2015 09:44am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 8 2015 10:37am)
I've been working since I was 15. I worked at a carry out pizza restaurant for 8 years, including thru all 4 years of undergrad. Graduated in 2011 with a bachelors, 2013 with a masters in business administration. I worked a 40-50 hours+ a week white collar sales job from 2011 -> including when I got my MBA full time at night.

I got fired on New years eve 2013 when the start-up I was working for collapsed due to the CEO being raided by the SEC and FTC for taking money illegally from a gov't program. I got a new job 3 days later as a commission-only salesperson. I didn't make a lot, but I made about $350/week while applying for better jobs, and that kept some canned veggies in my mouth and a roof over my head. Then I landed an awesome job in early February and I'm making beyond 6 figures. So yeah, it took me over a month to "find a new job" but I worked at a job that I snagged in 2 days after being fired because I didn't mope. I literally went to a temp agency the day I got fired and they connected me with a sales company that had nothing to lose hiring a commission-only sales rep, so of course they hired me in 2 seconds and I started the next day. I could've just as easily gotten a serving job, retail job, etc. Just drive around and scour Craigslist for 12 hours a day til you land something. It's way easier than people make it out to be.

My point is, get a shitty job temporarily while you find a good job rather than mooching unemployment while you interview/apply.

In your case, when you graduated you should've gotten a restaurant job or retail job for 3 months until you could find a job that suited what you got your degree in, or whatever your goal was. Not sitting on your ass applying and interviewing and doing no work for 3 months.

lol.... i've never been on unemployment

though you do have an interesting concept of what it means to sit on your ass for 3 months in applying/interviewing for jobs
Gold: 285.00
Apr 8 2015 09:45am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 8 2015 10:44am)
youre gonna have to expound upon that before making a generalization about common sense in this scenario. Make an argument on why it is difficult to find a job in less than 1 week and then maybe i'll give some due credit.

If a fast food restaurant asks a person with a masters degree if they're going to stay with them long, should the potential hire lie to them about that? Or say no, I'm leaving in three weeks to be whatever, which is probably how long the training program is?

Your whole idea depends on the idea that people who hire for jobs are idiots.

I might call you Bicycle Helmet for now on.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 8 2015 09:47am
Gold: 0.00
Apr 8 2015 09:47am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 8 2015 03:44pm)

In my state, you are required to keep a log showing that you've applied to at least 3 jobs in a month, and if you don't, you don't collect unemployment.

Your idea of 500 bucks a month is rediculous, what about people who have more than a condo? I own my house, I'm married and getting ready to have a kid, and I'm on unemployment right now. If you paid me 500 a month, I'd lose my ass. Everything I worked hard for would be lost. Unemployment goes away, and I paid into the program. Unemployment isn't a problem, welfare is.

Retired Moderator
Apr 8 2015 09:49am
Quote (duffman316 @ Apr 8 2015 10:44am)
lol.... i've never been on unemployment

though you do have an interesting concept of what it means to sit on your ass for 3 months in applying/interviewing for jobs

What did you do for the 3 months after you graduated? Interview/apply right? Why couldn't you work? I'm assuming you were granted the benefit I did when I graduated, I was living at home and didn't need to. I worked by choice anyways though because I wanted to own my own home by age 23 (which I do.)

Quote (Skinned @ Apr 8 2015 10:45am)
If a fast food restaurant asks a person with a masters degree if they're going to stay with them long, should the potential hire lie to them about that? Or say no, I'm leaving in three weeks to be whatever, which is probably how long the training program is?

Your whole idea depends on the idea that people who hire for jobs are idiots.

Oh please, those managers don't think that deeply into it. Go apply to 20 retail/restaurant places and 1/20 will snag you in 2 seconds. Just say you need extra cash and aren't ashamed to work for minimum wage. They'll respect you and hire you. I've done that too.

Quote (ozzyarmy3 @ Apr 8 2015 10:47am)
In my state, you are required to keep a log showing that you've applied to at least 3 jobs in a month, and if you don't, you don't collect unemployment.

Your idea of 500 bucks a month is rediculous, what about people who have more than a condo? I own my house, I'm married and getting ready to have a kid, and I'm on unemployment right now. If you paid me 500 a month, I'd lose my ass. Everything I worked hard for would be lost. Unemployment goes away, and I paid into the program. Unemployment isn't a problem, welfare is.

I agree, I own a home now and $500/month wouldn't pay for shit. That's why I worked hard and got a 2nd job on weekends to create savings for a rainy day. Even before I was making 6 figures I was making $35k in my first "big boy job" and I was banking $500 of that per month in savings living extremely frugal. Had I lost my job just 6 months in, i'd have $3000 to play with til I got a new job.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 8 2015 09:52am
Gold: 500.00
Apr 8 2015 09:51am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 8 2015 10:49am)
What did you do for the 3 months after you graduated? Interview/apply right? Why couldn't you work? I'm assuming you were granted the benefit I did when I graduated, I was living at home and didn't need to. I worked by choice anyways though because I wanted to own my own home by age 23 (which I do.)

interviewing, applying for jobs and self training via freely available online resources to help me prep for interviews

This post was edited by duffman316 on Apr 8 2015 09:51am
Retired Moderator
Apr 8 2015 09:52am
If finding a job is too hard for you, do what I did once. I took the Mark Cuban approach once. Went to a local shop with $100 in my pocket and a box of shoelaces. I had them print "Richard Montgomery High School" and "Go Terps!" on a bunch of shoelaces. Then I took those shoelaces and sat outside gyms and stadiums pitching them $5 per set of shoelaces. $10 if you want me to lace them up in a fun/funky way for you.

I made $820 in 2 hours sitting outside Byrd Stadium at University of Maryland selling fucking SHOELACES.

Use your noggin and don't be lazy. Easy.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 8 2015 09:53am
Gold: 285.00
Apr 8 2015 09:55am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 8 2015 10:52am)
If finding a job is too hard for you, do what I did once. I took the Mark Cuban approach once. Went to a local shop with $100 in my pocket and a box of shoelaces. I had them print "Richard Montgomery High School" and "Go Terps!" on a bunch of shoelaces. Then I took those shoelaces and sat outside gyms and stadiums pitching them $5 per set of shoelaces. $10 if you want me to lace them up in a fun/funky way for you.

I made $820 in 2 hours sitting outside Byrd Stadium at University of Maryland selling fucking SHOELACES.

Lol you sir are brilliant. I retract my statement about calling you Bicycle Helmet for now on.
Gold: 2,489.69
Apr 8 2015 09:57am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 8 2015 09:52am)

rule #1 of legislation. Never cater create laws for the intelligent and expect the ignorant to catch up.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123429Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll