d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Greece Threatens To Seize German Assets > Thought This Was A Joke At First
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,819.09
Mar 12 2015 12:12pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Mar 12 2015 12:03pm)
geographically i can agree. however in the time of Alexander i dont think anyone could argue that Macedon was Greek in nature. it was a barbarian state that was extremely weak before phillip.

phillip expounded on the rule of previous kings in a way that finally made Macedon relevant in the Aegean but i would contend that Greece only aligned with Alexander out of necessity.

Even linguistically and culturally. Sure Athens and some of the southern Greek states had philosophy, mathematics and democracy, it's not as if we could say they were any more Greek than the Greek states to the north. They were still Greeks, just like the Goths who took over Rome were still Germans (to be specific, Scandinavians, but that term would be anachronistic) even if they were more civilized than some tribal hovel in what is today Northern Germany. And the difference between Macedonian, Thracian, or Epirusian Greeks was less pronounce. The southern Greeks more or less were full of themselves, and the armies of the Greek states to the North (Epirus and Macedon) were just as advanced as the south.
Gold: 2,489.69
Mar 12 2015 12:42pm
Quote (Caedus @ Mar 12 2015 12:12pm)
Even linguistically and culturally. Sure Athens and some of the southern Greek states had philosophy, mathematics and democracy, it's not as if we could say they were any more Greek than the Greek states to the north. They were still Greeks, just like the Goths who took over Rome were still Germans (to be specific, Scandinavians, but that term would be anachronistic) even if they were more civilized than some tribal hovel in what is today Northern Germany. And the difference between Macedonian, Thracian, or Epirusian Greeks was less pronounce. The southern Greeks more or less were full of themselves, and the armies of the Greek states to the North (Epirus and Macedon) were just as advanced as the south.

i disagree with that but its only an opinion, as you stated they share linguistic, geographic and cultural characteristics wit the southern greeks. And while they both populate the same area i think there are enough differences to earn a distinction. If Canada were absorbed into the US the Canadian territory would forever hold its own distinct label. That analogy may not be perfect but its the view of ancient Greece i prescribe to.
Gold: 1,819.09
Mar 12 2015 05:39pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Mar 12 2015 01:42pm)
i disagree with that but its only an opinion, as you stated they share linguistic, geographic and cultural characteristics wit the southern greeks. And while they both populate the same area i think there are enough differences to earn a distinction. If Canada were absorbed into the US the Canadian territory would forever hold its own distinct label. That analogy may not be perfect but its the view of ancient Greece i prescribe to.

I don't like comparing them to a modern anecdote. The world back then was very stratified between cultural groups. You didn't have to go very far away from Greece to find about a dozen completely different cultures and languages.
Gold: 9.50
Mar 12 2015 06:24pm
Do they want a corporate bank run? Because that's how you get all foreign liquidities owners to remove their assets from your country, ruining your whole economy
Gold: 171.76
Mar 12 2015 06:29pm
Quote (StephanePare @ Mar 12 2015 08:24pm)
Do they want a corporate bank run? Because that's how you get all foreign liquidities owners to remove their assets from your country, ruining your whole economy

they want free shit to bolster the empty coffers

This post was edited by bitg_pj on Mar 12 2015 06:29pm
Gold: 9.50
Mar 12 2015 07:01pm
Quote (bitg_pj @ 12 Mar 2015 19:29)
they want free shit to bolster the empty coffers

Can you guess how empty their coffers will be once their biggest lender doesn't lend a dime anymore? Expect something similar to Argentina in the 50's and Brazil in the 90s
Gold: 678.00
Mar 13 2015 11:38am
Quote (j0ltk0la @ 12 Mar 2015 19:24)
Don't tell mum

Y so no amen?
Gold: 0.00
Mar 16 2015 12:08pm
They should just sieze them in compensation for the crimes they are commiting now.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll