d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Careful What You Wish For
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Mar 10 2015 05:04pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Mar 10 2015 06:00pm)
I thought it said "disintegrating" and I was about to agree.
Forced desegregation to a larger degree is disgusting.

Lmao

I love anti-intellectualism on the Right. Nobody needs that hoity toity education, just google it.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 10 2015 05:04pm
Gold: 7,525.35
Mar 10 2015 05:12pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 10 2015 06:04pm)
Lmao

I love anti-intellectualism on the Right. Nobody needs that hoity toity education, just google it.

Yeah because only a centralized public school system that is clearly failing many people can educate kids. :rolleyes:

and then you dare mention anti-intellectualism..
Gold: 0.76
Mar 10 2015 05:20pm
Kremlin sources close to Putin are saying that the killing of Nemtsov could be the work of one of his opposition parties, trying to make it appear like Putin's staff killed him. in order to frame one of the opposition parties.

Brett, do you really think that young educated people of any race wrote that letter?

isn't it more likely a race baiter who is trying to stir up even more trouble and make the blacks seem more unreasonable wrote it?

those were pretty outlandish demands buddy, I think you got trolled.
Gold: 1,382.83
Mar 10 2015 05:20pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 10 2015 06:59pm)
I don't think foreign aide is getting in the way as much as the Puritan Ethic and the idea that being poor is a moral failure. Or that people are only poor because they spend all their money on drugs or w/e.

I wouldn't know.
I think people wouldn't have such a problem with spending more on poverty/education if we weren't already spending so much.

I wouldn't want my taxes raised for it either. I want them to rethink where they spend.
Gold: 285.00
Mar 10 2015 05:43pm
Quote (Tylr @ Mar 10 2015 06:20pm)
I wouldn't know.
I think people wouldn't have such a problem with spending more on poverty/education if we weren't already spending so much.

I wouldn't want my taxes raised for it either. I want them to rethink where they spend.

True.

Quote (cambovenzi @ Mar 10 2015 06:12pm)
Yeah because only a centralized public school system that is clearly failing many people can educate kids. :rolleyes:

and then you dare mention anti-intellectualism..

How is it clearly failing? Despite more libertarians than ever before, kids are as good as they've ever been.

Many of the schools that are failing are only failing because they've been cut off from funding due to them serving the most powerless people on society, and then there are magnet schools available.

Even people who are receiving a poor education are at least receiving some education. If there was no public schools they wouldn't receive anything. And poverty in rural America is bad enough already without widespread illiteracy and ignorance being even more of a problem. I think you're just trying to create more GOP voters by dumbing down the average person.

I don't think you actually think about some of the things you say. You are bravely fighting for a world that no sane person would want to live in.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 10 2015 05:55pm
Gold: 500.00
Mar 10 2015 05:51pm
i read the stuff you quoted and the only thing i can wonder is why you wasted so much time writing up a wall of text against a group that lacks the power to bring about their visions of how society ought to be

that'd be like me writing up an essay against westboro baptist church

better use of your time would be to smear the rest of the anti police brutality movement using these people (all in good fun ofc)
Gold: 0.76
Mar 10 2015 06:21pm
Quote (Tylr @ 10 Mar 2015 17:49)
Or for our federal government to cease spending on ridiculous shit overseas and focus on poverty and further education here
Along with legalizing drugs and cease from imprisoning nonviolent drug offenders for years

Quote (Tylr @ 10 Mar 2015 18:20)
I wouldn't know.

Do you realize where the loin share of your tax money goes? It goes to funding the war machine, a couple years ago the number was $39 million a day.

Gold: 1,382.83
Mar 10 2015 06:33pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Mar 10 2015 08:21pm)
Do you realize where the loin share of your tax money goes? It goes to funding the war machine, a couple years ago the number was $39 million a day.

Something that I want changed. Heavy.
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 10 2015 06:54pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Mar 10 2015 07:21pm)

I agree completely. The American era is over... it's time we let China and Russia fight over control of the world.
Gold: 8,933.00
Mar 10 2015 07:30pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 10 2015 03:53pm)
Four Misconceptions about crime:

1. Crime rates are not rising. Sensational news stories promote the impression that crime is on the rise. Mass shootings, for example, skew public perception of crime and danger. A 2011 Gallup poll found that 68 percent of Americans think crime is on the rise. They are wrong. Crime has been declining since the early 1990s. Violent crime has fallen by almost 50 percent since its peak in 1991. Last month, New York City saw its longest stretch without a single homicide since the early 1990s.

2. Penalties do not deter potential offenders. Deterrence philosophy — the idea that someone will choose not to commit a crime because of a specific penalty — is one justification often touted in support of harsh sentences, including three-strikes laws and the death penalty. However, all such punitive policies have proved unlikely to deter, because potential offenders typically underestimate the risks of getting caught and the possible punishments.

3. Carrying concealed weapons does not prevent crime. Right-to-carry legislation legalizing the concealed possession of firearms has been posited as a way to improve public safety by increasing deterrence. If potential criminals do not know whether potential victims are armed, they are theoretically less likely to act. Researchers have found, however, that there is no evidence that more guns lead to less crime. In fact, research indicates that making it easier to carry firearms increases firearm homicide rates, causing 0.9 percent more firearm homicides for every percentage point increase in gun ownership. Deterrence is a dangerous philosophy upon which to rely.

4. The dramatic drop in crime nationally does not prove increased incarceration works to reduce crime. The crime drop does not demonstrate the success of increased incarceration and harsh sentencing regimes. A new Brennan Center report found that mass incarceration played a limited role in the crime decline. Increased incarceration accounted for about 6 percent of the decline in property crime in the 1990s and had almost no effect since 2000. In fact, more incarceration can increase crime. When defendants are sentenced to prison instead of pro-rehabilitation alternatives or longer instead of shorter terms or to higher-security prisons, prison has detrimental effects. For example, incarceration strains relationships with families and communities and diminishes economic prospects, which in turn increases the likelihood of recidivism.

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2015/3/four-simple-truths-about-crime.html

Work is sited in the points, links to academic journals, for what they're worth.

I don't think it is a terrible idea for black to disassociate with the police until the police forces start to include blacks. Sometimes when the people oppressing you want to talk it is only appropriate to cut off your ear.

American police are going to have to make some serious concessions before they're going to be considered honorable again.

Let's not try to pass this off as fact. It is hotly debated, including in academic literature.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll