d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Scott Walker And Evolution
Prev1234513Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,617.52
Feb 12 2015 07:00pm
Quote (j0ltk0la @ Feb 12 2015 08:20pm)
Single issue voters should be lined up and shot with a single bullet.

LOLL.
Gold: 152.00
Feb 12 2015 07:04pm
Quote (IceMage @ Feb 12 2015 07:48pm)
Give me an example. How does president Obama benefit from knowing about the theory of evolution?

Ok so I let's say I need to determine what sorts of ethical policies produce the best results. My scientific and economic advisors can give me input about how a particular policy will affect economic behavior. They know it will affect economic behavior in this way because of their understanding of neuroeconomics and evolutionary psychology and sociology. All life sciences and social sciences rest fundamentally on evolutionary theory, and all (or at least most) political decisions rest on being informed about life sciences and social sciences.

Most uninformed and incorrect economic thoeries rest on e.g. assuming humans are rational decision making agents and this tends to stem from misunderstanding (or denying altogether) evolutionary psychology.

Even if not for the explicit influence it has on particular decisions, but the important point is that anyone whose holistic worldview is so radically inaccurate cannot be trusted to make informed decisions.
Gold: 2,617.52
Feb 12 2015 07:08pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 12 2015 09:04pm)
Ok so I let's say I need to determine what sorts of ethical policies produce the best results. My scientific and economic advisors can give me input about how a particular policy will affect economic behavior. They know it will affect economic behavior in this way because of their understanding of neuroeconomics and evolutionary psychology and sociology. All life sciences and social sciences rest fundamentally on evolutionary theory, and all (or at least most) political decisions rest on being informed about life sciences and social sciences.

Most uninformed and incorrect economic thoeries rest on e.g. assuming humans are rational decision making agents and this tends to stem from misunderstanding (or denying altogether) evolutionary psychology.

Even if not for the explicit influence it has on particular decisions, but the important point is that anyone whose holistic worldview is so radically inaccurate cannot be trusted to make informed decisions.

The only way it would ever influence the decision making process is in dealing with antibiotic resistant bacteria in the health care system. Its safe to say no one really has to care except them.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 12 2015 07:33pm
I think the main point is that if someone doesn't believe in evolution they are uneducated, unintelligent, lying or have some serious flaw in their ability to process information. Any of these qualities, in my eyes, disqualify someone from being a leader of a society.

I would be very unlikely to vote for someone based on a single issue but there are quite a few reasons I would not vote for someone based on a single issue.
Gold: 7,252.72
Feb 12 2015 07:41pm
...I would answer thusly - " My education has led me to believe that evolution is the most likely explanation for our advancement as a species and my faith in God has led me to believe that all life could have started just as it is recorded in Scripture " .
Gold: 63,142.89
Feb 12 2015 07:43pm
A politician has to represent his constituents. The ignorant masses of American people are the people he is trying to represent, so obviously he has to say things they want to hear. You might want to hear your politicians agree with the current science, but many others do not.
Gold: 1,819.09
Feb 12 2015 07:50pm
Quote (j0ltk0la @ Feb 12 2015 07:17pm)
Doesn't really matter, not believing in something as trivial as whether or not we change every million years or so isn't going to affect anyone's decision making.

He is one of the most oblivious posters on this forum.

The fact he can't so do it proves it does.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 12 2015 07:54pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 13 Feb 2015 01:41)
...I would answer thusly - " My education has led me to believe that evolution is the most likely explanation for our advancement as a species and my faith in God has led me to believe that all life could have started just as it is recorded in Scripture " .

Which would prove you to have a serious case of cognitive dissonance. How can someone hold two directly conflicting beliefs?

I would be even less likely to vote for someone who is possibly schizophrenic.

Quote (kayeto @ 13 Feb 2015 01:43)
A politician has to represent his constituents. The ignorant masses of American people are the people he is trying to represent, so obviously he has to say things they want to hear. You might want to hear your politicians agree with the current science, but many others do not.

Anyone who doesn't believe evolution to be a scientific fact is too stupid to deserve a vote.
Gold: 63,142.89
Feb 12 2015 08:28pm
Quote (Scaly @ Feb 12 2015 08:54pm)
Anyone who doesn't believe evolution to be a scientific fact is too stupid to deserve a vote.

Well, make a thread blaming Athens for inventing democracy.

But don't blame Scott Walker for playing the game according to the rules he was given.
Gold: 12,730.67
Feb 12 2015 09:54pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 12 2015 05:04pm)

Mike Huckabee believes that the Earth is roughly 6000 years old and that it was created in a week....are you going to tell me he was a poor governor in Arkansas? He was voted as one of 5 best governors by Time Magazine FYI...

Interesting how we have evidence of leaders making good decisions despite being Young Earth Creationists. In science, we tend to reevaluate ourselves when presented with conflicting evidence. Will you do the same?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234513Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll