d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Fcc Pushing To Regulate Internet As A Utility
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,525.35
Feb 27 2015 09:44am
Quote (nobrow @ Feb 27 2015 09:10am)
That is the same buffoon who said there exists plenty of competition in the broadband industry and voted against redefining the term from 4 to 25 mbits. I am only able to get broadband from one provider by the way, as are the majority of Americans.

Wait, so voting against redefining something meant to distort the internet situation to push the FCC's power-grabbing agenda makes him a buffoon?
He is very astute and brings up several good points in a professional and easily understandable manner. Hardly the buffoon you want to smear him as.

There is competition in the broadband industry.
Options for internet are better than ever before.
For example:
According to this FCC chart, 80 percent of households in America have at least two fixed and/or mobile providers that offer "at least 10 Mbps downstream speeds," which until recently was far above what the agency concerned high-speed broadband. In 2010, the FCC defined as service that offered a 4Mbps downstream and 1Mbps upstream. Just a few weeks ago, it arbitrarily upped its definition to be 25Mbps downstream and 3Mbps upstream. (Net oldtimers will remember the old days of 56k modems and the like.) At the end of 2012, says the FCC, fully 96 percent of households had two or more providers offering 6Mbps downstream and 1.5Mbps upstream service. That may not give you all the bandwidth you want at any given moment, but it also presents a picture different than the monopoly situation that many Net Neutrality proponents rail against.

You evidently vehemently support arbitrarily increasing the definition so you can misrepresent the situation as having less competition, making up stories about a majority having only 1 option..

Much of the restriction of ISPs that is happening is local-oriented, stuff that this legislation won't fix.
Public utility regulations actually preserve monopolies rather than prevent them from occurring. Tacking on numerous regulations they must comply with, along with additional fees, bans and taxes will inhibit other options from coming into the picture, not the other way around.

A few years from now we will be laughing at the 25 mbits.

And what do you think will bring us there faster and more efficiently? medieval title ii regulations giving the FCC vast more control when they have a history of stifling innovation? Or something closer to the path we were currently on, where you are able to comfortably predict faster speeds in the near future in one of the fastest growing industries in the country in recent decades?
We've seen massive strides forwards in recent years.. there is no need for these nonsensical changes that discourage innovation and investment in the name of fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
Gold: 752.10
Feb 27 2015 10:07am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Feb 27 2015 09:44am)
Wait, so voting against redefining something meant to distort the internet situation to push the FCC's power-grabbing agenda makes him a buffoon?
He is very astute and brings up several good points in a professional and easily understandable manner. Hardly the buffoon you want to smear him as.

There is competition in the broadband industry.
Options for internet are better than ever before.
For example:

You evidently vehemently support arbitrarily increasing the definition so you can misrepresent the situation as having less competition, making up stories about a majority having only 1 option..

Much of the restriction of ISPs that is happening is local-oriented, stuff that this legislation won't fix.
Public utility regulations actually preserve monopolies rather than prevent them from occurring. Tacking on numerous regulations they must comply with, along with additional fees, bans and taxes will inhibit other options from coming into the picture, not the other way around.

And what do you think will bring us there faster and more efficiently? medieval title ii regulations giving the FCC vast more control when they have a history of stifling innovation? Or something closer to the path we were currently on, where you are able to comfortably predict faster speeds in the near future in one of the fastest growing industries in the country in recent decades?
We've seen massive strides forwards in recent years.. there is no need for these nonsensical changes that discourage innovation and investment in the name of fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

He is a buffoon for claiming that there is competition in broadband. If you paid attention the FCC stuck down local regulations and gave municipalities the ability to expand their service. Title II wouldn't be an issue if there was enough competition which you fail to understand.
Feb 27 2015 10:39am
80 percent of households in America have at least two fixed and/or mobile providers that offer "at least 10 Mbps downstream speeds,"
Feb 27 2015 10:45am

Next erroneous claim please.
Feb 27 2015 10:51am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Feb 27 2015 10:39am)
80 percent of households in America have at least two fixed and/or mobile providers that offer "at least 10 Mbps downstream speeds,"

That isn't competition, I know DSL is being counted in those and that tech lacks the capacity to get faster.
Gold: 260.11
Feb 27 2015 10:53am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Feb 27 2015 10:39am)

1. Industry reporting on itself is suspect
2. Does that mean I'm counted in that because I could get T-Mobile hotspot but my only house internet option is Mediacom? I noticed it included mobile.
3. Broadband is now classified as 25 not 10, so that chart is irrelevant to the new regulations

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Feb 27 2015 10:54am
Feb 27 2015 10:56am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 27 2015 10:53am)
1. Industry reporting on itself is suspect
2. Does that mean I'm counted in that because I could get T-Mobile hotspot but my only house internet option is Mediacom? I noticed it included mobile.
3. Broadband is now classified as 25 not 10, so that chart is irrelevant to the new regulations

Inb4 reclassification was done for power grab instead of changing consumer needs.
Gold: 260.11
Feb 27 2015 11:04am
Quote (nobrow @ Feb 27 2015 10:56am)
Inb4 reclassification was done for power grab instead of changing consumer needs.

All I know is that 10 MB is slow as hell.... 25 is decent, and feels like lightning compared to my old dial up, but still only just fast enough to fulfill my functional needs as a student.
Gold: 2,039.09
Feb 27 2015 11:06am
Quote (nobrow @ Feb 27 2015 09:56am)

how could you not consider this anything but a power grab? its a solution looking for a problem.

when in the history of (any) government has it kept pace with consumer needs? please cite one example? why do people always look to government for solutions to problems that don't exist?

bottom line is the media/ISP companies love this because it prevents competition and codifes their business models into law. comcast can now sue new ISP's based on how much the new ISP's business model disrupts comcast's business model in the name of "fairness." imagine if a new ISP offered the same internet for 25% of the price? lawsuits galore.
Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 27 2015 12:14pm
Quote (nobrow @ Feb 27 2015 10:51am)
That isn't competition, I know DSL is being counted in those and that tech lacks the capacity to get faster.

And you expect telecoms to invest in greater capacities when they can't charge for it?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll