d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Fcc Pushing To Regulate Internet As A Utility
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Feb 3 2015 01:34am
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/technology/in-net-neutrality-push-fcc-is-expected-to-propose-regulating-the-internet-as-a-utility.html

It is expected that the proposal will reclassify high-speed Internet service as a telecommunications service, instead of an information service, under Title II of the Communications Act, according to industry analysts, lobbyists and former F.C.C. staff members.

not too familiar with the specifics of the communications act but this is an interesting development
Gold: 45.00
Feb 3 2015 01:44am
Guessing that explains why Comcast called me today to ask how my service that i been asking them to fix for past 6 months (still issues between 6th-12th of the month still hasn't been resolved) is doing.

get the same call few days after i call them tell them my internet is unusable

"We would like to inform you that there was a problem on a node we have fixed it and a technician is no longer needed to visit your home would you like to cancel the appointment (date time window) Have a nice day"

It's like Fuck do i pay 100 dollars a month for anyways. It's not like their tv service any good.

Honestly would have no problem with em if there Service wasn't complete shit and their costumer service was worth a damn

did a quick google Lmao

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-01-14/verizon-wins-net-neutrality-court-ruling-against-fcc

god damn that coincidence doe

This post was edited by southpark247 on Feb 3 2015 01:47am
Gold: 0.76
Feb 3 2015 05:31am
DISH= 1+plan over basic for the tv. gets decent channels with 4 boxes in different rooms and one x-tra remote for a share room. just not showtime cinemax etc...internet all time with 10g@4g speed then drops to basic speed with router and external modem in the house we pay $90.00 first 6 months then $119.00 for the remaining 18 months reception has always been great and we live out out in the boonies.

I was paying 85 bucks for just 5g of internet from verizon on a win card
Gold: 78.16
Feb 3 2015 03:12pm
It should be classed as a utility. The 2 big isps in the states are doing their best to monopolise infrastructure and are trying their best to stop all local competition from propping up. They are a disgrace.
Feb 3 2015 03:14pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Feb 3 2015 06:31am)
DISH= 1+plan over basic for the tv. gets decent channels with 4 boxes in different rooms and one x-tra remote for a share room. just not showtime cinemax etc...internet all time with 10g@4g speed then drops to basic speed with router and external modem in the house we pay $90.00 first 6 months then $119.00 for the remaining 18 months reception has always been great and we live out out in the boonies.

I was paying 85 bucks for just 5g of internet from verizon on a win card

yah i aint bitching i could live in a place where my options are hughes net at 10mb with constant outages/

but like fuck visited SK for 2 week's and its like i never wana leave every gaming cafe i visted/my hotel/ guy's appt i knew all had gigabit web ;*( i left it felt like i was using dial up

Status quo is shit service shit customer support/ with title 2 new isps can go in and use the utility poles w/o having to go and beg the incumbents for usage esp in towns where the incumbents are already as at best a duopoly and in most cases that duopoly is dsl and cable and currently dsl doesn't even qualify for broadband.

And also no1 but the ISPS are to blame the status quo would have remained how it was TWC Comcast AT&T went to verison to no go through with the lawsuit because even if they won in the end all of the would loose.

the net neutrality rules that existed made it so that xyz companies cant pay last mile companies for priority.

new rules will do the same + make isps a Utility esq and force them to let others into their sandboxes
Gold: 25.13
Feb 3 2015 03:16pm
Quote (lithfkn @ Feb 3 2015 05:12pm)
It should be classed as a utility. The 2 big isps in the states are doing their best to monopolise infrastructure and are trying their best to stop all local competition from propping up. They are a disgrace.

regulating the internet as a utility won't stop monopolies and bring competition. think about it, do you get to choose where your power comes from now? no, you can choose your utility company or you can get a generator and dig a well.
Feb 3 2015 03:23pm
Quote (asthesun @ Feb 3 2015 04:16pm)
regulating the internet as a utility won't stop monopolies and bring competition. think about it, do you get to choose where your power comes from now? no, you can choose your utility company or you can get a generator and dig a well.

false

new isps will have access to utility poles that current isps control

currently google has to get towns to aprove shit and why their going to towns that own their own poles/ conduit lines with title 2 Other Isps cant have a monopoly on it.

my town has that issue and google and them are trying to work it out as of last meeting if title 2 passes we'll have fiber in 3 years tops

Quote (asthesun @ Feb 3 2015 04:16pm)

i do actually comed owns the lines but who provides my electricity is up to me i got like 20 diffrent providors all diffrent costs

same with Nicor for gass they have their pipes installed i just choose who feeds me

This post was edited by southpark247 on Feb 3 2015 03:24pm
Gold: 78.16
Feb 3 2015 03:26pm
Quote (asthesun @ Feb 4 2015 07:16am)

The government should buy back the infrastructure and allow anyone to start up an isp. Not let certain large isps hold a monopoly on streets or suburbs while providing a shit service. I dont get to choose WHERE my power comes from but i have alot of choices on who provides it and can make a decision based on cost.

Isps were granted a shit tonne of funded to build infrastructure almost 20 years ago on the proviso that they would constantly upgrade. They do fuck all. They are trying to buy law makers to stop small isps starting up and providing a service.

Its just corporate America at it again. Buying their way to the top.
Gold: 25.13
Feb 3 2015 03:54pm
Quote (southpark247 @ Feb 3 2015 05:23pm)
false

new isps will have access to utility poles that current isps control

currently google has to get towns to aprove shit and why their going to towns that own their own poles/ conduit lines with title 2 Other Isps cant have a monopoly on it.

my town has that issue and google and them are trying to work it out as of last meeting if title 2 passes we'll have fiber in 3 years tops

i do actually comed owns the lines but who provides my electricity is up to me i got like 20 diffrent providors all diffrent costs

same with Nicor for gass they have their pipes installed i just choose who feeds me

not around here. you have one company for electricity gas and water. as far as data, you can get cox if you want cable, otherwise you have some little bit of competition if you want to go through the phone lines, but i mean, who wants that?
Feb 3 2015 04:07pm
Quote (asthesun @ Feb 3 2015 04:54pm)
not around here. you have one company for electricity gas and water. as far as data, you can get cox if you want cable, otherwise you have some little bit of competition if you want to go through the phone lines, but i mean, who wants that?

title 2 will allow companies like Google who want to provide SUPERIOR internet for Alot lower costs to consumers the ability to use utility poles that current isp monopolies control they even came out and said that this will level the field due to negotiating bullshit between them and twc comcast etc.

and if u look around the country where fiber has gone in austin ATT has went and begun their own rollout of gigabit for 70 bucks its laying down fiber/adding fiber to the home because att has a decent fiber network already they just dont provide it door to door.

and your actually lucky COX isn't complete shit atleast there cust service somewhat gives a fuck
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll