d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > High School Advisement On College And Career Paths
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 20 2015 05:22pm
Quote (Santara @ Jan 20 2015 01:01pm)
Well, high schools are doing a poor job of preparing students for college academically, so I guess them missing the boat on other facets comes as no surprise. Colleges are regularly having to put new students through remedial courses because their high school coursework was substandard.

My roommate my freshman year was in this situation. He was on full scholarship from Hawaii, which is notorious for having poor curriculum. He spent most of the year basically repeating my senior year of high school because his didn't offer pre-calculus or AP programs.
Gold: 6.66
Jan 20 2015 06:26pm
Quote (nobrow @ 20 Jan 2015 17:05)
I wouldn't say being employed outside your field is bad. I was told day one that if we graduated less than half of us would be working as an engineer.

Except those people usually going to IT and are still successful...

People complain that school is too hard, and when it isn't, they complain their degree is useless. That's the reason why engineering is a safe bet. It's hard enough that kids passing with a 3+/4 gpa that they'll be pretty much guaranteed to have the analytical skills to be employed everywhere. Kids going into college thinking it's a free pass to a job, little do they realize they actually need to work hard and be extremely diligent at school, just like the success people in industry are at their jobs.

People talk about high school math, and they get into university and complain that odes, numerical methods, circuits and quantum and whatnot is too hard. Guess what, the shit people learn is like child's play in the workplace, but the university,can't reach everything because the awful foundation in algebra from high school. That's why it's the high school's fault. They are for the most part extremely inadequate in preparing for actual university work, instead going with bullshit SATs and APs when they are pretty much useless since the material is so rudimentary. The rest of the time is spent making sure the "bottom line" students can pass and "get into university". The material you learn in university should reflect the leading edge of today's advancements and industry practises; it's not a catchup playground for making everyday high school graduates marketable into mediocre paying jobs.
Gold: 1,819.09
Jan 20 2015 06:26pm
Quote (Santara @ Jan 20 2015 06:14pm)
Neither bad no good in and of itself. But it's certainly indicative of a large proportion of students misallocating their resources.

It's actually irrelevant to care about majors aligning with employment. Higher education is not about training for a specific job or field, it's about teaching skills that are transferable in certain fields. For some majors, the transferable skills apply to a wide variety of employment options that aren't directly applicable to what you did. Very specific majors like history of sociology would fall into this category. Not very many jobs directly related to either of those two majors, but both teach skills desirable to many employment opportunities. It's not a misallocation of resources.
Gold: 8,933.00
Jan 20 2015 06:30pm
Quote (Caedus @ Jan 20 2015 06:26pm)
It's actually irrelevant to care about majors aligning with employment. Higher education is not about training for a specific job or field, it's about teaching skills that are transferable in certain fields. For some majors, the transferable skills apply to a wide variety of employment options that aren't directly applicable to what you did. Very specific majors like history of sociology would fall into this category. Not very many jobs directly related to either of those two majors, but both teach skills desirable to many employment opportunities. It's not a misallocation of resources.

If you're in liberal arts, yeah. The sciences however, not so much. And I consider a liberal arts degree to be worthless other than as an expensive general knowledge degree that seldom merits the expense.
Gold: 285.00
Jan 20 2015 06:32pm
Quote (Santara @ Jan 20 2015 07:30pm)
If you're in liberal arts, yeah. The sciences however, not so much. And I consider a liberal arts degree to be worthless other than as an expensive general knowledge degree that seldom merits the expense.

Yeah, humanities and the human spirit sucks :lol:

The liberal arts education is what every free citizen should have. Seriously, it should be all taught in the junior and senior year of high school.
Gold: 8,933.00
Jan 20 2015 06:46pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 20 2015 06:32pm)
Yeah, humanities and the human spirit sucks  :lol:

The liberal arts education is what every free citizen should have.  Seriously, it should be all taught in the junior and senior year of high school.

I wouldn't necessarily oppose that. Our high schools need higher standards.
Gold: 1,819.09
Jan 20 2015 07:12pm
Quote (Santara @ Jan 20 2015 07:30pm)

The sciences are a very specific field, and even then, your skills are what is important, not the material. Arts is the butt of jokes but the skills taught in arts are transferable to almost anything. There's a reason most lawyers, most civil servants and many important businessmen come out of arts. Just because there are people that come out of arts with poor grades and little learned does not mean it's worthless. I really hope you're never running a business, such a close minded attitude will surely result in a massive waste of money.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll