d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > MMORPG > Guild Wars 1 & 2 > New To Guild Wars
12Next
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,173.00
Dec 15 2014 05:52pm
I've never played Guild Wars or WoW or any mmorpg. How does guild wars play so to speak. I'm looking for an mmo to get into.
Gold: 0.37
Dec 15 2014 06:27pm
I don't think anybody will be able to accurately explain that. Just watch some youtube videos and then ask individual questions.
Dec 15 2014 06:53pm
I was afraid my question was way too broad and subjective. I can't decide between wow, guild wars, the old republic, LOTR online, or Neverwinter.
Gold: 13.37
Dec 15 2014 08:06pm
What you should really tease out is:

what types of games do you like? RPG? FPS? loot based? skill based? what type of setting? (aka fantasy vs sci-fi vs realistic)? how much time can you devote to playing?

once you have a better idea of what you're relaly looking for, you can start to compare the games

This post was edited by froacus on Dec 15 2014 08:06pm
Dec 16 2014 12:23am
I like all things. I've done research but I figured I'd ask some guildie dudes.
Gold: 13.37
Dec 16 2014 01:27am
well, being as this is just my opinion, not sure if it'll help

I love the guild wars franchise, both GW1 and GW2.

GW2, in particular, more focused on allowing players to play "how they want to", rather than forcing a particular type of gameplay (grinding to reach max level so that you can finally play the game for example). Especially the first time through the world, there is a TON of stuff to do and explore. Once you hit max level (80) there are still lots of things to do (dungeons, fractals, high level areas, living story, etc etc).

Keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 really isn't item driven. Of course there are shiny, new, or expensive items that are super cool and worth saving for. BUT, there is no real requirement to grind gear. Max stat gear is readily available by the time you hit level 80 for very little gold or moderate time investment.

As a new player, it would be tremendously helpful to join a guild. You will undoubtedly have lots of questions about the gameplay, mechanics, builds, etc etc. In my experience, people are usually very willing to assist or explain.

Best of luck, and hope to see you in Tyria
Dec 16 2014 03:35am
Quote (froacus @ 16 Dec 2014 02:27)
well, being as this is just my opinion, not sure if it'll help

I love the guild wars franchise, both GW1 and GW2.

GW2, in particular, more focused on allowing players to play "how they want to", rather than forcing a particular type of gameplay (grinding to reach max level so that you can finally play the game for example). Especially the first time through the world, there is a TON of stuff to do and explore. Once you hit max level (80) there are still lots of things to do (dungeons, fractals, high level areas, living story, etc etc).

Keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 really isn't item driven. Of course there are shiny, new, or expensive items that are super cool and worth saving for. BUT, there is no real requirement to grind gear. Max stat gear is readily available by the time you hit level 80 for very little gold or moderate time investment.

As a new player, it would be tremendously helpful to join a guild. You will undoubtedly have lots of questions about the gameplay, mechanics, builds, etc etc. In my experience, people are usually very willing to assist or explain.

Best of luck, and hope to see you in Tyria

Very nice. I especially like the idea that I can have a good character without having to grind for the extra 3% here and a +15 to whatever here. (Like every Diablo game ever) :P
Gold: 0.00
Dec 16 2014 11:08am
gw2 is the only mmo worth a damn right now.
Ontop of no sub fee.

Tried to give wow another shot, bought WoD, literally first monster i killed I was apalled by the combat system, and left again.
Took a whole 5 mins.
Gold: 22.00
Dec 16 2014 05:31pm
i think it's the best mmo out there atm for a few reasons.

-it's actively updated, with some form of new content every month
-the game's population is very large and always active
-the combat system and game mechanics are very clean and well-developed
-as per the Guild Wars MO, there's no pay-to-win and max gear is pretty easy to get
-especially due to recent updates, the pvp can be a lot of fun and very rewarding

if it's a good quality mmo you're looking for, gw2 is it. those who say otherwise will be extremely hard-pressed to articulate exactly why they feel that way. the lack of subscription fee makes it almost impossible not to get your money's worth.
Dec 16 2014 08:22pm
Quote (ISellLeagueBoosts @ 16 Dec 2014 12:08)
gw2 is the only mmo worth a damn right now.
Ontop of no sub fee.

Tried to give wow another shot, bought WoD, literally first monster i killed I was apalled by the combat system, and left again.
Took a whole 5 mins.

Damn. What other MMO have you tried? I still haven't found that person that has actually played a bunch of mmo rather than play one mmo a bunch of times. :lol:

Quote (Wretch @ 16 Dec 2014 18:31)
i think it's the best mmo out there atm for a few reasons.

-it's actively updated, with some form of new content every month
-the game's population is very large and always active
-the combat system and game mechanics are very clean and well-developed
-as per the Guild Wars MO, there's no pay-to-win and max gear is pretty easy to get
-especially due to recent updates, the pvp can be a lot of fun and very rewarding

if it's a good quality mmo you're looking for, gw2 is it. those who say otherwise will be extremely hard-pressed to articulate exactly why they feel that way. the lack of subscription fee makes it almost impossible not to get your money's worth.

alright.. not bad at all. I want something actively engaging. I remember watching my buddy play FFIIIX (ff13) or w/e and it seemed like he did a lot of waiting... -__-

I thought about doing a D2 clone and playing Torch Light, Dungeon Siege, or Path of Exile just because it's always quick and fun. Can Guild Wars be like that or is it more a grab a quest, go finish it, come back. Or perhaps more like an Elder Scrolls game where it's: Do a quest! Get distracted on the way! FIGHT SOMETHING COOL!! Start doing another quest!!

jk.
Go Back To Guild Wars 1 & 2 Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll