d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Why Do You Reject Scientific Consensus?
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Dec 12 2014 01:41am

A survey of 3146 earth scientists asked the question "Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?" (Doran 2009). More than 90% of participants had Ph.D.s, and 7% had master’s degrees. Overall, 82% of the scientists answered yes. However, what are most interesting are responses compared to the level of expertise in climate science. Of scientists who were non-climatologists and didn't publish research, 77% answered yes. In contrast, 97.5% of climatologists who actively publish research on climate change responded yes. As the level of active research and specialization in climate science increases, so does agreement that humans are significantly changing global temperatures.

Figure 1: Response to the survey question "Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?" (Doran 2009) General public data come from a 2008 Gallup poll.

Most striking is the divide between expert climate scientists (97.4%) and the general public (58%). The paper concludes:

"It seems that the debate on the authenticity of global warming and the role played by human activity is largely nonexistent among those who understand the nuances and scientific basis of long-term climate processes. The challenge, rather, appears to be how to effectively communicate this fact to policy makers and to a public that continues to mistakenly perceive debate among scientists."

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus-intermediate.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
considering the stats show that those who know climate change best all agree that it is happening and that humans are contributing to it, on what basis do you reject their findings when we both know you've never had the qualifications or credentials to speak on this subject?

This post was edited by duffman316 on Dec 12 2014 01:45am
Gold: 7,252.72
Dec 12 2014 01:45am
...the answer is already contained in the end quote and grats on making a thread that has been made at least 100 times already . Also , the use of the pronoun " you " in the topic title is foolish...the better wording would have been " why do some people " .

This post was edited by WidowMaKer_MK on Dec 12 2014 01:56am
Gold: 260.11
Dec 12 2014 01:56am
Zomg dude but we don't know if the publishers actually know what they're talking about just cuz they are publishing. We need more quality control here!
Dec 12 2014 02:01am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Dec 12 2014 02:45am)
...the answer is already contained in the end quote and grats on making a thread that has been made at least 100 times already . Also , the use of the pronoun " you " in the topic title is foolish...the better wording would have been " why do some people " .

you know who you are
Gold: 63,142.89
Dec 12 2014 02:03am
Whenever a scientist comes out and talks about how his 'study' was funded to reach certain conclusions that were convenient for the politicians they were aligned with, that's where doubt creeps in.

When and if global warming is no longer a political issue, then it will become possible to even consider that studies may be trustworthy scientific sources.
Gold: 7,252.72
Dec 12 2014 02:05am
Quote (duffman316 @ Dec 12 2014 03:01am)
you know who you are

...typical nonsense from you . I am hard pressed to even remember a single regular on PaRD who denies that our climate is changing and that human activity is a major part of it and you are no better able to explain the exact science behind it without googling and copy/paste arguments than anyone else here .
Dec 12 2014 02:16am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Dec 12 2014 03:05am)
...typical nonsense from you . I am hard pressed to even remember a single regular on PaRD who denies that our climate is changing and that human activity is a major part of it and you are no better able to explain the exact science behind it without googling and copy/paste arguments than anyone else here .

i don't remember the specific names but i've seen the comments in here denying that people are contributing to it, denying that there is a scientific consensus on it and doubt over the reliability of the scientists in question

if you don't fall into any of these categories then i've no interested in talking to you

and no i'm not here to explain climate science, that isn't what this thread is about
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Dec 12 2014 02:19am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Dec 12 2014 03:05am)

you denied it and denied humans are responsible
that you're doubling down on your own arrogance is really not surprising
your clueless to your own obtuse thoughts.
Gold: 17.00
Dec 12 2014 02:51am
Because it shows people (mostly conservatives) the reality that god may not be in control. the idea that a death to the planet pre mature to the end times or returning of christ plays a psychological role.

Personal I found it hard to sift through the endless arguments that go both ways. I mean people aren't climatologists so either way your believing a side. I don't like taking a side on something i dont understand. though i do tend to think yes we are harming the planet.

Its hard for me when even looking at my own state new york in the 1950's we would get ridiculous amounts of snow. then it kinda of level off and we never got large snow storms now all the sudden we get a major blizzard every winter.

This post was edited by Historic on Dec 12 2014 02:55am
Gold: 9,039.20
Dec 12 2014 03:22am
Broken peer review process, creeping ideology, and the fact that community consensus is taken into consideration at all.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll