d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > MMORPG > Guild Wars 1 & 2 > Guild Wars 2 > Thinking About Starting Up
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 28,425.00
Trader: Trusted
Dec 10 2014 05:20am
Hey there,

So I've recently moved on from a game and I'm looking into this one.

How is this game?

Can it deliver the fun that Diablo 2 or Skyrim did?

I like if it has a good storyline and gameplay.

How does one start, etc. Are items hard to come by as they are in D3?

I appreciate any guidance to finding the right game, if this will be it.

This post was edited by Welterweight on Dec 10 2014 05:21am
Gold: 13.95
Dec 10 2014 08:11am
Quote (Welterweight @ Dec 10 2014 11:20am)
Hey there,

So I've recently moved on from a game and I'm looking into this one.

How is this game?

How does one start, etc.  Are items hard to come by as they are in D3?

I appreciate any guidance to finding the right game, if this will be it.

YES DO IT WE NEED MORE MED IN GW2 SO YOU CAN HELP US TRADE SAFELY!!!!!! <3

And Yes I enjoy it.

I enjoy PvP, PvE and WvW (zerg fest)

How is this game?
amazing, i love gw1 still play, i also love gw2

any game for me personally has a hard time comparing to d2 as this is the first game I ever was "hooked" on only just weened myself off after many many years... but now I play gw2 not diablo 2 so that must say something

Yes has a great story line for each race etc! alot of talking/cut scenes/graphics/concept art etc using your character in cut scenes etc i skip most now as done them all though lol

gameplay is great, you can do pvp pve etc you dont have to story to level, you could craft, kill shit, pvp, wvw or just explore the whole map (not many lvl restrictions anywhere apart from dungeons I think) oh yea you can do dungeons daily, there are daily/monhtly achivements where you get chests and points when you hit achivements to get more chests/items/gold etc

How does one start, etc. Are items hard to come by as they are in D3?

BUY IT, JUMP IN and do what you want!

and no items are easier, you can craft most of the good shit just need to collect gold/materials (or buy materials with gold) there are no crazy rare items more like set attributes so it becomes more about what looks good rather than which items are good. legendary are expensive btw but look awesome

gold doesn't take that much time to get really, and you can do it in multiple ways so it doesnt get boring

i would say make a Warrior or Guardian for your first char (guard like pally OP) although i do love ranger and its better in pve now due to buffs but most hated ranger before patch (i play ranger since gw1)

anyway excuse the ramble, we need more players.

btw jsp is pretty dead for gw2 players items trading etc although u can get gold here but I think its usually people that buy gold from site, in order to convert to fg for other games etc (stock market kinda thing)

so that is another reason to get another gw2 player on jsp :)

This post was edited by TropicoLa on Dec 10 2014 08:14am
Gold: 13.95
Dec 10 2014 08:16am
also you can buy gems for cash which you can trade for gold or items from the store that are special
Retired Moderator
Gold: 28,425.00
Trader: Trusted
Dec 10 2014 08:01pm
Thanks for the information.

I'm really interested in the Human race to start with two professions; Warrior and Necromancer.

Elementalist possibly another time with a different race.

:)

I am liking what I am seeing from this game.
Gold: 1,365.00
Dec 10 2014 10:08pm
Tropicola summed it up pretty good to some part
I will ad a few things^^

GW2 does not have the typical holy trinity but that is something fun too especially for PvP and WvW .. every class can do well and has its special pros and cons :D

there is a bit more grind for better items than at release of gw2 because Anet introduced one better tier of gears (Ascended)
but the stats difference is tiny and you could play permanently in exotic gear only too and it would work perfectly fine
thats just for longtime/hardcore players or people who like to grind and to perfect theeir gear :D

there are fun events each year (Halloween, Wintersday --> that one starts 16. december!)

some time ago Anet started with "Living Story" where they give you another story line after the normal story (you can start with living story before you finished normal story too though ^^)
Living Story is like 1-2 updates a months with new Dungeons, Tasks, Zones, Enemies and Achievements related to it and slowly progresses and reveals more and more :D

For your first Class i recommend Warrior or Guardian too like TropicoLa did
at least for PvE!

you can start with any other class too ofc but your life in gw2 will be a lot easier with those classes because for PvE they are
1) easier to play
2) can do well Solo and do better without traits (traits get unlocked at higher levels and the caster classes rely more on those mostly... so they have a harder time for PvE at start)
3) are favored by groups and you will have a better first game experience probably

for PvP any class works if you know how to play it :)
some are harder to master though ... but can also be more fun :D
(PvP got some improved rewards too now if you compare it with the time of GW2 release)

i guess you will do more than 1 Class anyway so it doesnt matter too much
but then you should probably start off with Warrior (good selfsustain - dmg buffs for yourself and your group .. also fastest movement with extra leap and rush skills probably which is really nice for PvE and open world)
or Guardian (lower healthpool but better self sustaining skills and support and things like Reflect which is needed especially in harder areas and dungeons)

to help you with your decision maybe:
My personal list for classes from easy to master/play to hard to master/play if you start from zero for PvE (mostly open world)

1) Warrior
2) Guardian
3) Necromancer
4) Ranger
5) Thief
6) Elementalist
7) Mesmer
8) Engineer

this list is not meant to say which class is best in PvE!
If you mastered Elementalist for example it is very strong and more useful than necromancer in PvE!
this list is just how easy to play the class is when you start new in GW2

my list for most used + favored classes in Dungeons & Fractals:

1) Warrior, Elementalist, Guardian
2) Thief
3) Mesmer
4) Ranger
5) Engineer, Necromancer

- Warrior, ele and guard are just best raw dmg usually and can synergize well and are easier to play .. so if you are a new player people will think you can still do well if you use one of these classes and its more likely that you find groups easily for dungeons...
- Thief is good dmg too but a bit squishy but he is especially useful for some dungeons & fractal parts because of Stealth!
- Mesmer is ok too but mostly used for his utility skills like reflect & Quickness buff (but guard can fill the reflect role better usually thats why mesmer is not used that much anymore)
- Ranger actually can do really good and has some nice group buffs too... if you go melee and use the right build ... but people often just kick rangers because they have no clue and thats why i think you wont have the best game experience if you start with ranger for PvE :/
- Necromancer is just not that good for direct AoE dmg ... he is awesome for Condition overloads but that is barely played in dungeons ....
- Engineer can do vulnerability debuff stacks on the enemy well but is rarely see engis in dungeons...

You will need to farm quite a bit if you want to buy GemShop items too because the gold-gem ratio is not that cheap .. but thats where Anet gets its money from ^^
you can buy gems for real cash too ofc and convert gems to gold too if you dont mind spending extra real life money on the game
there are a few gemshop items that are actually really useful for Gw2 ... but nothing that would be pay to win like so no worries about that :)
just convenience (like infinite mining tools instead of limited use)

You can pm me and ask for my GW2 IGN and you can always ask me ingame if you see me there (atm im playing a bit more GW1 but i still come on in GW2 .. played 2 years every day and beat all challenges etc. so i got a bit bored but i still have fun playing ... just not every single day anymore :D)

Would you play Europe or North American or Asian Servers if you start GW2?
i guess North American Servers?

I play Europe so i could show you anything InGame then (could still talk to you ingame and link you stuff there and you could ask me there anytime but we couldnt play together)
but if you find a nice guild or one or more other players who are willing to help you you should have no problems - and if then these people could help you^^

This post was edited by Kartoffelgratin on Dec 10 2014 10:17pm
Gold: 212.00
Dec 11 2014 02:14am
TropicoLa has it pretty much narrowed down but forgot to mention a few things:

* Download teamspeak3 if you want to be involved in voice chat "this is what the GW2 community has chosen to use over mumble or Ventrilo"

* Find a good crew to help introduce you in to wvw/pvp/dungeon running, otherwise the learning curve is quite steep while trying to learn alone

* Join Jade Quarry server, this is where most of the d2jsp crowd plays and it is usually the dominant server in world vs. world
Gold: 42.00
Dec 12 2014 01:04am
certainly better than skyrim skyrim sucked

its fun, diablo 2 is a completely different kind of game so no it wont bring you the same fun same goes for skyrim

is it one of the more enjoyable mmorpgs out there? i would be willing to say so but my experiences are little

i did play a whole lot though
Gold: 20.02
Dec 19 2014 03:39pm
What I want to Know is what the Differences Between Guild Wars 1 Since I Did Not Like the First One I Am Hesitant To Buy the Second One If Only there was a Trial Version To Try. I Might Buy Guild Wars 2 If I could find a Descent Gameplay Video on Youtube So I can See Exactly what the Game is Like And Maybe Someone Here Can Tell Me How it is Different OR THE SAME As Guild Wars 1 Please And Thank You?
Gold: 34.08
Dec 19 2014 11:03pm
TL;DR: Yes it delivers.
Gold: 212.00
Dec 20 2014 02:45am
Quote (DragSoD @ Dec 19 2014 04:39pm)
What I want to Know is what the Differences Between Guild Wars 1 Since I Did Not Like the First One I Am Hesitant To Buy the Second One If Only there was a Trial Version To Try. I Might Buy Guild Wars 2 If I could find a Descent Gameplay Video on Youtube So I can See Exactly what the Game is Like And Maybe Someone Here Can Tell Me How it is Different OR THE SAME As Guild Wars 1 Please And Thank You?

Youtube videos of GW2 play
You'll immediately see how the game engine is different
The engine is much more fluid than GW1
GW1 engine has a flat-footed feel to it after you've played GW2
Go Back To Guild Wars 1 & 2 Topic List
Add Reply New Trade New Service New Price Check New Topic New Poll