d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > I'm Normally Very Pro Reproductive Rights > But This Even Crosses Me As Wrong
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 171.76
Dec 9 2014 09:52pm
I would never suggest making it illegal....but these types of IVFs used for healthy couples with healthy babies for "balancing" of family numbers and because they want a boy or a girl....just seems wrong to me

Women aborting based on gender of the child seems really absurd to me personally, but I'm sure we have our own ethical boundaries...for instance I'm ok with abortions for rape, and horrible genetic disfunctions that would ruin quality of life....

maybe im wrong?

https://ca.shine.yahoo.com/couple-spends--50k-to-choose-baby-s-sex--shining-light-on-trend-211217947.html
Gold: 0.00
Dec 9 2014 10:03pm
I see no problem with it if they have the money to spend.
Gold: 17,384.69
Dec 9 2014 10:06pm
I think In Vitro babies have issues (statistically, weaker, more diseases etc...) ... Have to check that btw

edit: yep i confirm, so they use the gravity or whatever method to select the gender (exists since years) but globally it's a terrible mistake; natural fecondation is still the best.

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Dec 9 2014 10:08pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Dec 9 2014 10:07pm
i cant see a moral reason that im against it, mainly because ive always been pro choice by default because the matter doesnt concern me. Ive never needed an abortion so i wont knowingly support someone else to have their right taken away.

that said i cant see pro abortion PACs and organizations openly supporting these movements as a whole because of the negative light that it shines on the entire operation.

interesting to see if its a no brainer for other pro life advocates or if its more of a silent support.
Gold: 152.00
Dec 9 2014 10:08pm
Funnily enough, I have the polar opposite view. I generally oppose abortion, but I'm a staunch advocate of IVF with preimplantation genetic diagnosis tactics. In fact, I expect traditional procreation to be outlawed in this century.

Also either you're misunderstanding or explaining incorrectly. IVF does not require abortion unless you count the destruction of blastocysts as abortion. And if you do, I guess I don't see the moral difference.

The key moral difference in my opinion, and the reason I oppose abortion, is that it is the murder of a "future human". This also avoids the issue of "when is a fetus a human". IVF does not prevent a future human from existing, but abortion does.

I, like you, favor abortion for severe genetic disorders. IVF, of course, could avoid this problem entirely. I just hope progress in preimplantation genetic diagnosis isn't hindered by religious fundamentalists, it'd be truly evil.
Dec 9 2014 10:10pm
Although I should mention, I think choosing gender is absolutely bottom priority and in fact may become a policy issue if one gender tends to be selected for more frequently than others, when IVF genetic screening becomes more common.

Parents should really be selecting for lack of genetic diseases, empathy, intelligence, and the like. I just hope this becomes the social norm.
Gold: 260.11
Dec 9 2014 10:11pm
There's lots of reasons to want a gender selected baby, plenty of diseases are sex chromosome linked so if the parents are known carriers. There's other reasons but that's just off the top of my head so it's good we have the technology.

I really don't see anything wrong with this as long as the couples with a legitimate need for the services aren't being delayed for the couples who just want designer babies.
Gold: 17,384.69
Dec 9 2014 10:14pm
Quote (Voyaging @ 10 Dec 2014 05:08)
I'm a staunch advocate of IVF with preimplantation genetic diagnosis tactics.

it's like doing a car crash test while only 1 car exist. This is not possible excepted for foetus (since it has more than 1 cell...LOL)

14 weeks.
Dec 9 2014 10:16pm
One day we will equate traditional procreation with a parent refusing to use anesthesia on his/her child in surgery.

Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Dec 9 2014 11:14pm)
it's like doing a car crash test while only 1 car exist. This is not possible excepted for foetus (since it has more than 1 cell...LOL)

14 weeks.

Sorry didn't catch your meaning, not sure if you're agreeing with me or not.
Gold: 2,489.69
Dec 9 2014 10:25pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Dec 9 2014 10:16pm)
One day we will equate traditional procreation with a parent refusing to use anesthesia on his/her child in surgery.

Sorry didn't catch your meaning, not sure if you're agreeing with me or not.

IMO the future will view the entire debate of abortion as arbitrary given enough time. our culture just currently contains a large enough population against to keep the debate going.

i see both sides, but no stance is a stance against for me because ive always seen it as a vote for the right not like im contributing to the actual abortions.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll