d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Favorite Songs & Bands > Need Advice > Edm Production
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 40%
Dec 8 2014 09:17am
Note to mods:
I would post in Musician's Chat but the place is so dead :( and I need an answer soon so I can have it by christmas. Please don't close at least for a little bit need answer ;(

First a little background:
I am absorbed by music. I have been playing guitar for 12 years now at this point.
I listen to just about anything that takes talent, prog metal, indie, bluegrass, jam bands, a whole range of edm.

What I'm after:
I want to start producing/sampling/recording.
With a $300-400 limit for Christmas, what is the best way to start the process? Gear or software or something else?
I'm thinking Abelton live with the student discount?
The type of genre that influences me the most (and this is important because it changes what software to get) are:
  • liquid DnB
  • Minimalistic Progressive House
  • Trance
  • Psytrance
  • Ambient
  • Down Tempo / chillstep
I am not looking to create dubstep!

Example of sound/feel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVsi-_9macQ

If you help me out with a discuss or pming me or whatever when I get some fg which i'm sure I will soon, I'll donate you like 100 fg each per person who helps me.

ty in advance
no spam pls

This post was edited by Quasi on Dec 8 2014 09:25am
Gold: 16,240.00
Dec 8 2014 09:39am
All you need is music production software

Ableton is good but not very intuitive. Cuebase, logic pro, reason and fruityloops are all good alternatives

They should all have methods of recording instruments via the mic line
Or if you have a midi instrument you can record the actual notes you play rather than the sound the instrument makes

After that you just need plugins to give you a wider choice+quality of sounds/virtual instruments. The programs will come with quite a few to get you started though. These take the place of expensive systhesizers etc

all this can be found for free :)
Dec 8 2014 09:44am
Quote (dakariii @ Dec 8 2014 11:39am)

Ableton is good but not very intuitive. Cuebase, logic pro, reason and fruityloops are all good alternatives

Or if you have a midi instrument you can record the actual notes you play rather than the sound the instrument makes

After that you just need plugins to give you a wider choice+quality of sounds/virtual instruments. The programs will come with quite a few to get you started though. These take the place of expensive systhesizers etc

Great answer thank you. I see a lot of people especially in Drum and Bass like Reason.
Abelton does not seem very intuitive, no, but once mastered would you not say it gives the most flexibility?
Dec 8 2014 10:12am
Quote (dakariii @ Dec 8 2014 11:39am)

btw I just realized i've watched a video of you spinning poi. reels and stuff. good to see other poi spinners on here.
good vibes~~
Dec 8 2014 10:17am
Quote (Quasi @ Dec 8 2014 03:44pm)
Great answer thank you.  I see a lot of people especially in Drum and Bass like Reason. 
Abelton does not seem very intuitive, no, but once mastered would you not say it gives the most flexibility?

Not really, all these programs keep growing and they will have all the standard features you will be likely to need. The biggest differences are in the way they present the arrangement, it's really more of a personal choice
I'd recommend trying the software and going for one that seems right for you. It's a lot more fun and you will be likely to stick with it if the program isn't constantly getting in the way of what your trying to do

As for genres it isn't that important. The biggest factor here will be the plugins, you'd want quality drum samples and a good plugin for tweaking bass sounds for dnb for example

Anyway ableton and cuebase are generally considered to be the most powerful tools, which is easier to use splits opinion
I use fruityloops, does everything you need and is the easiest to get your head around, professional producers use it also

Things might change if you add mixing into the equation but you will probably want to get traktor at that point

PS: wow :) where did you see me spinning? posted a few videos on youtube but just to share with friends, didn't realize anyone else would find them. We should start on thread here or something, always though about making a juggling one. Glad there are other spinner keep up the flow!

This post was edited by dakariii on Dec 8 2014 10:18am
Dec 8 2014 10:28am
Quote (dakariii @ Dec 8 2014 12:17pm)
Not really, all these programs keep growing and they will have all the standard features you will be likely to need. The biggest differences are in the way they present the arrangement, it's really more of a personal choice
I'd recommend trying the software and going for one that seems right for you. It's a lot more fun and you will be likely to stick with it if the program isn't constantly getting in the way of what your trying to do

As for genres it isn't that important. The biggest factor here will be the plugins, you'd want quality drum samples and a good plugin for tweaking bass sounds for dnb for example

Anyway ableton and cuebase are generally considered to be the most powerful tools, which is easier to use splits opinion
I use fruityloops, does everything you need and is the easiest to get your head around, professional producers use it also

Things might change if you add mixing into the equation but you will probably want to get traktor at that point

PS: wow  :)  where did you see me spinning? posted a few videos on youtube but just to share with friends, didn't realize anyone else would find them. We should start on thread here or something, always though about making a juggling one. Glad there are other spinner keep up the flow!

The problem is i'm so basic noob in the actual production side of it atm that even if I did try them out (which i did the month free of abelton) i didn't have time to get my head around it.
I have heard of a lot of people using Cuebase and I've seen reason 7 used a lot (they are on 8 now)

Guess i'll just have to do a little research.
I think it's the plugins etc that confuse me. If/when i do get some software could you help me out with a little understanding?

Chuu linked me to it. I knew i recognized your name from somewhere. I would love a poi thread but I doubt it would get enough attention / little enough spam
Dec 8 2014 10:49am
yeah it's hard to know, you can't go wrong with any of them really
this might be helpful
http://audio-production-software-review.toptenreviews.co
although seems to say ableton is easier to use than fruityloops :huh:

sure will help with plugins when you need it, basically the plugin makes the sounds for each note then the program arranges them
it will either use recorded samples for each note, or a synthesized sound that's frequency is changed, or a combination
so you could record a piano playing each note, or record one note and change the frequency to make the others, or make it with an artificial sound

ah yeah chuu :) probably seem some videos of you also, don't need many people for a good topic

Dec 8 2014 10:58am
Quote (dakariii @ Dec 8 2014 12:49pm)
yeah it's hard to know, you can't go wrong with any of them really
this might be helpful
http://audio-production-software-review.toptenreviews.co/
although seems to say ableton is easier to use than fruityloops  :huh:

sure will help with plugins when you need it, basically the plugin makes the sounds for each note then the program arranges them
it will either use recorded samples for each note, or a synthesized sound that's frequency is changed, or a combination
so you could record a piano playing each note, or record one note and change the frequency to make the others, or make it with an artificial sound

ah yeah chuu :) probably seem some videos of you also, don't need many people for a good topic

ok i'll check that out thanks :)
i'll hyu with any more questions i got via pm/aim(if you got it) ty for all your help!!!
and yeah i get my podpoi back in the mail (probably today) and i'm getting fire for christmas so~~ i'll have a current video for you to see in the coming week or so ;)
Gold: 5.00
Dec 8 2014 11:39pm
I would go the fruity loops way, been using it since first beta, never disappointed.
Go Back To Favorite Songs & Bands Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll