d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Creating A Game. > Hopefully Right Section.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,503.26
Nov 26 2014 08:03pm
I tried searching for a more appropriate section, and this is where I decided. So i want to start off by apologizing if it is the wrong section.

That being said, I am interested in trying to create a game, I don't have any prior experience except a massive imagination and great determination.

So firstly, I wanna get my ideas "on paper" I want to download something like RPG Maker, or some sort of other software comparable.

So, I am curious what yall consider the "best" and right now i just want free till i get my grip around it than ill be more than happy to pay for quaility.

Also, if someones interested in helping me, maybe "mentoring" id more than appreciate it.
Gold: 3,804.50
Nov 26 2014 08:11pm
a friend of mine made games with RPG Maker and Game Maker. he's made things from block-dude style puzzle games to first person shooters. he enjoyed them both. i've also heard of Construct, but i don't have any experience with it. there might be others out there, but i'm not familiar with them.

i suggest NOT learning to program just to make the games. stick to one of the non-programming "drag and drop" frameworks like i listed above.

This post was edited by carteblanche on Nov 26 2014 08:12pm
Nov 26 2014 08:28pm
ok thank you, I had a feeling i wasn't using the write wording for what idea i was trying to give.

I mean, i have seen quite a few out there but I was hoping that by posting here would fast track the countless hours of trial and error seeing which ones worked and which fell short.

all feedback is greatly appreciated thank you.
Nov 28 2014 12:15am
No one has any experience or comment with such?
Gold: 3,804.50
Nov 28 2014 12:23am
Quote (segouin1221 @ Nov 28 2014 01:15am)

you're in the programming forum. some of us have experience playing with game engines (eg: unity), but those are targeted at programmers, not non-programmers. i've made a few basic games on the GBA, but that was in C. plus it's thanksgiving week. everyone has family plans, so they're not on jsp.

except me.

/foreveralone :cry:

This post was edited by carteblanche on Nov 28 2014 12:24am
Gold: 7.41
Nov 28 2014 12:39am
Quote (segouin1221 @ Nov 28 2014 01:15am)

This is the programming sub-forum. We talk about programming stuff. RPG Maker exists to provide people who want to build stock RPG games an outlet for that with little to no programming involved. By that token, it is not something people here will find particularly interesting as we are more concerned with programming. You can see how a tool that involves a lack of programming would be counter-productive to the purpose of these boards.

RPG Maker has its own boards, where like minded individuals will share experience and ideas about things they have done with RPG Maker.

There is, however, one cross-over between the two: RPG Maker, as I understand it, provides a way to add custom actions to your game via the Ruby scripting language. Now, most of the games actions are provided in a default script package, and I believe these are extensive enough that any newcomer will not need knowledge of Ruby to use RPG Maker. However, if and when you decide to actually do some scripting and real programming for this game, you are more than welcome to discuss Ruby scripting with us, as there are a few of us who know Ruby and enjoy talking about it.

But coming to this forum asking for experience with RPG Maker as a whole is a loaded question, and those are frowned upon. Specific questions are generally better. Furthermore, as I said, you would be better off posting on the RPG Maker forums if this is the path you wish to take.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll