d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development >
Poll > To Those Of You Who Have Software Dev Related Jobs
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 1,173.00
Nov 19 2014 12:01pm
Quote (Qord @ 19 Nov 2014 07:34)
Why st. Mary's? Just curious.

Plan it out. Graduate programs are more expensive that under grad, try and save some of that funding for your masters. I didn't plan well, and I'm on my last semester of gi Bill funding and haven't started a grad program yet.

Good question.

St. Mary's is a private university here in San Antonio. Their school is very highly rated in many fields. They are most renown for their law program and I've been told it's one of the best in the nation. I have chosen them because the only other school in Texas with a BCS in SE is UT Dallas. (University of Texas, Dallas) Though the Masters of SE is in San Antonio (and probably Austin). I don't like the idea of flopping around schools. I've already moved so much that I'm on my third community college and fourth community college campus. Them credits don't transfer well. :/

I'm saving my Hazelwood Act for the Masters since it goes by credit hours regardless of cost.

Did 5 1/2 years 11B in the army. (infantry)

That gi bill goes quick.

This post was edited by NinjaSushi2 on Nov 19 2014 12:02pm
Gold: 3,804.50
Nov 19 2014 06:51pm
Quote (NinjaSushi2 @ Nov 19 2014 01:01pm)
Good question.

St. Mary's is a private university here in San Antonio. Their school is very highly rated in many fields. They are most renown for their law program and I've been told it's one of the best in the nation. I have chosen them because the only other school in Texas with a BCS in SE is UT Dallas. (University of Texas,  Dallas) Though the Masters of SE is in San Antonio (and probably Austin). I don't like the idea of flopping around schools. I've already moved so much that I'm on my third community college and fourth community college campus. Them credits don't transfer well. :/

I'm saving my Hazelwood Act for the Masters since it goes by credit hours regardless of cost.

Did 5 1/2 years 11B in the army. (infantry)

That gi bill goes quick.

private university doesnt sound good. my dad went to a private school and had to drop out his last trimester because he ran out of funding and couldnt get more loans. it ruined his entire life.

unless you're rich, i'd just go to a public in-state college.
Nov 20 2014 12:07am
It's paid by credit hour. I'll have my voc rehab and rest of gi bill for bachelor's. After that I have my Texas Hazelwood Act. If you join the military out of Texas as a Texas resident, you are awarded 150 credit hours of schooling paid for by Texas. A bachelor's is 120 when you have none. I have around 50 something credits already. I'm saving my Hazelwood Act for the end of my bachelor's and into my masters. Maybe I'll dual masters or get a doctorate is physics and CS then go work with Google creating quantum calculation technology. :P

Jk. IBM with the Watson program.

(someone in the background screams video game!)

At least those are my dreams when I need motivation.

Reality: being a system's software maintenance dude. :EEk:
Nov 20 2014 05:09am
Quote (NinjaSushi2 @ Nov 20 2014 01:07am)
It's paid by credit hour. I'll have my voc rehab and rest of gi bill for bachelor's. After that I have my Texas Hazelwood Act. If you join the military out of Texas as a Texas resident, you are awarded 150 credit hours of schooling paid for by Texas. A bachelor's is 120 when you have none. I have around 50 something credits already. I'm saving my Hazelwood Act for the end of my bachelor's and into my masters. Maybe I'll dual masters or get a doctorate is physics and CS then go work with Google creating quantum calculation technology. :P

Jk. IBM with the Watson program.

(someone in the background screams video game!)

At least those are my dreams when I need motivation.

Reality: being a system's software maintenance dude. :EEk:

hazlewood act is only public schools i thought?

phd programs are actually "free". they waive tuition + give you a stipend for working for them. but you gotta love research or it will feel like hell.
Gold: 7,528.30
Nov 20 2014 03:43pm
Quote (labatymo @ Nov 18 2014 08:21am)
this, my ex's cousin got a job paying 75k / year when he was 19 because his dad knew someone. He was in his first year of university and couldn't even program for shit

Also, I got a job right out of college, but it was a small startup company (got paid peanuts). I worked there for a few months, but the experience helped me get my next job.

Does anybody really envy him? once he fucks up bad enough someone will ask why the company is dumping 100k/year on him and he'll be jobless with no reference

assuming hes as incompetent as you made him sound

Also, i'd be interested to know the difference between a top comp sci program and just average/not known

This post was edited by ForTheMathematics on Nov 20 2014 03:45pm
Nov 20 2014 05:22pm
Quote (carteblanche @ 19 Nov 2014 19:51)
private university doesnt sound good. my dad went to a private school and had to drop out his last trimester because he ran out of funding and couldnt get more loans. it ruined his entire life.

unless you're rich, i'd just go to a public in-state college.

Dream crusher. I was hoping you were wrong. :(
Guess it's time to give out handies for scholarships.

Thanks for the heads up on the doctorate degree.

Quote (ForTheMathematics @ 20 Nov 2014 16:43)
Does anybody really envy him? once he fucks up bad enough someone will ask why the company is dumping 100k/year on him and he'll be jobless with no reference

assuming hes as incompetent as you made him sound

Also, i'd be interested to know the difference between a top comp sci program and just average/not known

I agree. Sucks for him.

I have a friend who works for verizon maintaining their ISP servers from his house. He makes about six figures and started making that at 25 maybe. Though he started his own business at one point, acquired quite a few respectable certs when he was younger, and has experience in the field since he was 18.

@op college isn't needed if you know your stuff, work hard, get certified which proves what you know, and sell yourself to respected companies. There are a lot of young guys here in San Antonio getting cisco certs left and right so they can work for rackspace, Amazon, and anyone else in SA.

If you guys haven't seen the new WOW film on youtube, it's really cool for some inside look at how it all came together and how much work and just CRAP was required to get there.

Feeling motivated! B)
Nov 20 2014 09:16pm
Quote (NinjaSushi2 @ Nov 20 2014 06:22pm)
Dream crusher. I was hoping you were wrong. :(
Guess it's time to give out handies for scholarships.

Thanks for the heads up on the doctorate degree.

I agree. Sucks for him.

I have a friend who works for verizon maintaining their ISP servers from his house. He makes about six figures and started making that at 25 maybe. Though he started his own business at one point, acquired quite a few respectable certs when he was younger, and has experience in the field since he was 18.

@op college isn't needed if you know your stuff, work hard, get certified which proves what you know, and sell yourself to respected companies. There are a lot of young guys here in San Antonio getting cisco certs left and right so they can work for rackspace, Amazon, and anyone else in SA.

If you guys haven't seen the new WOW film on youtube, it's really cool for some inside look at how it all came together and how much work and just CRAP was required to get there.

Feeling motivated!  B)

if i could get free tuition at a public school vs huge debt / work my ass off for a private school, i'd take the former. (in fact, that's exactly what i did. GA pays your tuition for public schools.) otherwise spend the rest of your winter on your knees.

no need to "save" hazlewood. use it on the bachelors and masters.

but even more important, pick a school with tons of girls. if you get stuck in 5 straight classes with 20+ boys and no girls, you'll wish you took my advice. wish i did that :(

This post was edited by carteblanche on Nov 20 2014 09:45pm
Nov 20 2014 10:50pm
Who doesn't love a sausage party? Almost all computer classes I've had are 90% men.

That is a good point about debt but I am looking into scholarships and grants. I avoid debt like Obama avoids reasoning and advice. I really don't feel like fucking with UT and sitting in a classroom with 300+ students because the school wants to make maximum profit. *UGH*

I miss Georgia... :( I want my Ranger burger and grits.
Nov 20 2014 11:17pm
Quote (NinjaSushi2 @ Nov 20 2014 11:50pm)
Who doesn't love a sausage party? Almost all computer classes I've had are 90% men.

That is a good point about debt but I am looking into scholarships and grants. I avoid debt like Obama avoids reasoning and advice. I really don't feel like fucking with UT and sitting in a classroom with 300+ students because the school wants to make maximum profit. *UGH*

I miss Georgia... :( I want my Ranger burger and grits.

A&M man. i visited my friend there and saw tons of girls.

never heard of a ranger burger. google says four winds restaurant in columbus? i have a friend who lives down there. if i remember, we'll go eat there.

btw i charge 2% of whatever money my advice saves you and 10$ finders fee for every girl you hook up with in A&M. acceptable forms of payment include VISA, paypal, cash, hot pockets, and neko tickle sessions (you wear the cat ears and meow).

This post was edited by carteblanche on Nov 20 2014 11:21pm
Nov 20 2014 11:42pm
Quote (carteblanche @ 21 Nov 2014 00:17)
A&M man. i visited my friend there and saw tons of girls.

never heard of a ranger burger. google says four winds restaurant in columbus? i have a friend who lives down there. if i remember, we'll go eat there.

btw i charge 2% of whatever money my advice saves you and 10$ finders fee for every girl you hook up with in A&M. acceptable forms of payment include VISA, paypal, cash, hot pockets, and neko tickle sessions (you wear the cat ears and meow).

The Ranger Burger is for the Rangers at Benning. Are you closer to Stewart or Benning?

A&M does have babes everywhere. UT too but that's Austin Texas in general.

This post was edited by NinjaSushi2 on Nov 20 2014 11:43pm
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll