d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Actual Slavery > Statistics
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 83.30
Nov 17 2014 11:34am
http://www.globalslaveryindex.org/findings/

I thought we should talk about actual slaves for once. People forced into debt slavery, human trafficking, (child) prostitution and forced marriage. People who don't have a choice in how they live their life. Our country comes out on top in fighting slavery, with Sweden and the US coming second and third.

Apparently our country hosts about 2200 slaves according to the Walk Free Foundation, the US has about 60k. Relative to population it's very similar.

With the rising globalization, should we be more vigilant for human trafficking? Should prostitution be outlawed, or should it be legalized and regulated? How are we as a society going to drive these numbers down?

Personally I'd like to see our government take a lead and make sure that women in the sex industry have safe ways out. Try and make sure they are not dependent on seedy dealers for drugs or other needs either.
Gold: 7,252.72
Nov 17 2014 11:40am
...legalizing prostitution only legalizes sex slavery . If memory serves me the most visible evidence of this is in your own red light districts where the girls sit like pieces of meat in the windows . The number of them who started against their will is very high and of course they become dependent on the structure that now supports their habits and addictions . Prostitution must be outlawed so that all gray areas are removed .
Gold: 9,039.20
Nov 17 2014 11:47am
Gray areas still exist outside of prostitution, people having sex, even children out of wedlock.

Everything sexual should be prohibited until full commitment to marriage is done, divorce also outlawed, I think it will put an end to the gray areas of sexual exploitation of womens.
Gold: 83.30
Nov 17 2014 11:50am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Nov 17 2014 05:40pm)
...legalizing prostitution only legalizes sex slavery . If memory serves me the most visible evidence of this is in your own red light districts where the girls sit like pieces of meat in the windows . The number of them who started against their will is very high and of course they become dependent on the structure that now supports their habits and addictions . Prostitution must be outlawed so that all gray areas are removed .

Once you get rid of the gray, you're left with black and white. As in I think the crime will just move to the underground.

On our red light district, efforts are made to protect the women but it is hard because they are afraid of retaliation. A big law that passed made sure that johns that visit them and know something's not right are committing a crime if they do not report it to the police. Several johns that failed to do this after others did visiting the same prostitute have gone to jail or faced large fines + community labour.

There's also been a proposal to make a system similar to the drug tourism we have (in areas with problems only Dutch people can use the services), since many a Briton or Frenchman comes over to our Red Light District to make use of the services.
Gold: 1.00
Nov 17 2014 11:52am
Quote (killg0re @ Nov 17 2014 10:47am)
Gray areas still exist outside of prostitution, people having sex, even children out of wedlock.

Everything sexual should be prohibited until full commitment to marriage is done, divorce also outlawed, I think it will put an end to the gray areas of sexual exploitation of womens.

Employers should also demand sex tests for any potential employee, kind of like a rape kit, and anyone testing positive for sex outside of wedlock should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Gold: 9,039.20
Nov 17 2014 11:55am
Quote (Comus @ Nov 17 2014 11:52am)
Employers should also demand sex tests for any potential employee, kind of like a rape kit, and anyone testing positive for sex outside of wedlock should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Yep, no sexists hired here, if you don't have a ring on your finger you don't even get an interview.
Gold: 1,819.09
Nov 17 2014 12:25pm
Quote (killg0re @ Nov 17 2014 12:55pm)
Yep, no sexists hired here, if you don't have a ring on your finger you don't even get an interview.

Marriage should be outlawed and replaced by a system of legally unambiguous contracts and common law circumstances. To protect people of course.
Gold: 1.00
Nov 17 2014 12:31pm
Quote (Caedus @ Nov 17 2014 11:25am)
Marriage should be outlawed and replaced by a system of legally unambiguous contracts and common law circumstances. To protect people of course.

They should also dispense condoms at every middle school, to promote sexual awareness.
Gold: 24,402.34
Nov 17 2014 12:39pm
The US, Oz, and Brasil are the only places where businesses and the government try not to use goods made by slaves O_O

also, there are 23 slaves in Iceland? can we get their names?
Gold: 1,819.09
Nov 17 2014 01:04pm
To not drive this off topic, expanding the definition of slavery is a slippery slope...

Quote (Comus @ Nov 17 2014 01:31pm)
They should also dispense condoms at every middle school, to promote sexual awareness.

Middle school? No thanks. If I heard my daughter's school was doing that I'd freak. No encouraging sex that early. I don't want my daughter to end up with a world view her mom had (that being in a sexual relation as a tween is not a bad thing). There's many young teenage boys just like I was at that age ready to take advantage of young girls who have a crush on you...

This post was edited by Caedus on Nov 17 2014 01:05pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll