d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Rlebar's Gym Log > I'm Fat And Deconditioned.
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 318.71
Nov 11 2014 11:42am
So here we go. Got a fitness assessment (had to pay for it as part of my sign up so I may as well use it, fucking gym) a few days ago. Turns out I'm fat and out of shape...

I got one done almost 5 years ago after being at the gym for 4-5 months. Comparison from then and now. The thigh measurement is taken 6" above the center of the knee cap, not at it's widest point
Yeah it's a 7 point pinch test and it's not entirely accurate (probably showing a little high on the BF% now and low before [likely 8% or so before]) but the measurements don't lie either
I still have visible abs

Part of the reason I am so fat and out of shape is due to several injuries, and laziness. Particularly, May long weekend this year when I wiped a dirt bike out.
There's barely anything left of my semimembranosus. I have only 20% strength in my hamstring of what it was prior to the injury. It needs rehab in a bad way

Anyways... I got back to the gym last week after being out of it for 3 1/2 years. I'm sore as fuck. I'm spending a lot of time stretching to get ROM back and elesticity of my muscles so I don't go hurting myself more. Started weights yesterday

GOALS:
1) Aside from not being a fat shit? well here it is. #1 is General health. beyond that you feel better both mentally and physically, so yeah that's a goal
2) hamstring rehab
3) Also, I went to fire college for structural firefighting and I need to get my ass in shape to pass the physical next year.
It's actually not easy to pass where I'm from. I'd fail miserably right now. that's unacceptable. Main focus for this is grip strength, leg strength and endurance and lat pull down strength.
Those are the 3 main difficulties I had trouble with 1 1/2 ago when I took the test. I passed then but didn't do as well as I would have liked. This time around, I'm going to crush that fucking test.
And obviously there's some cardio involved so that needs to improve as well but I'm not worried about it either.

Split:
Mondays: Lower back, shoulders
Tuesdays: Arms, calfs
Thursdays: Legs, Forearms
Fridays: Upper back, chest.

I'll be mixing in abs most days, and hamstring specific rehab most days as well. Stretching every day I'm at the gym.
Cardio will be worked in as well. Intensity of my workouts will, in part, be cardio. I don't go slow or easy at the gym.
I do a lot of supersetting which is why my split looks the way it does. I may move shoulders back to leg day and put hamstrings in with lower back like I used to, but I'm not sure yet.
I'm going to be going light on the squats and deads until I get a bit of conditioning and strength in my hamstring. No need to destroy it again so soon...

Old threads from back in the day for reference to where I once was when I went to the gym semi regularly...
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=40086010&f=60
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=50714431&f=60
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=51026544&f=60

That is all for now.
Gold: 165.00
Nov 11 2014 11:46am
Holy shit lol

GL m8
Gold: 603.00
Nov 11 2014 05:08pm
Damn bro, gl.

Your split is really odd imo. I'd move it to what it was. Also try to implement chin ups or pull ups.

Also swimming is awesome endurance/rehab if you have access to a pool.
Nov 11 2014 06:24pm
Quote (Lancet_Jade @ 11 Nov 2014 19:08)
Damn bro, gl.

Your split is really odd imo. I'd move it to what it was. Also try to implement chin ups or pull ups.

Also swimming is awesome endurance/rehab if you have access to a pool.

Balancing the split will probably take a few weeks. I don't like doing much else when it comes to legs. They drain me really bad so I don't like doing much else that day. That's why I only have forearms that day.

I also don't put forearms on lower back day due to deadlifts. grip strength gets worked from deads and a few other things I do. so having that on thursday means I'm getting grip in twice a week sort of, with a healthy rest of 3 days, and then 4 days after the dedicated forearm day

Also, pull ups have always been worked in to my upper back day, not every upper back day, but often so all good there.

Swimming... good call, you're totally right. I often forget that one. I do have access to a pool

Thanks guys

I think the hamstring is going to be a serious uphill battle and it's going to have a profound impact on my big lifts long term.

This post was edited by rlebar on Nov 11 2014 06:24pm
Gold: 4,386.00
Nov 12 2014 11:00am
Good luck with everything, stay safe!
Nov 14 2014 08:14pm
week one is done! Already feeling better, minus the constant soreness. Actually it's not bad and is even a refreshing change, except I seemed to overdue it a bit with my calves the other day.
I got a nice knot in one. I'll be good to go for next calf day tho. Not a big deal.

I'm liking the split so far. except legs. It seems every god damned fool and their grandma does legs on thursdays... I legitimately couldn't get a squat rack.
I probably shouldn't anyway so soon and with my hamstring the way it is, but I wanted to. Shits cray. Already feeling a little bigger. body weight is the same. probably not any different yet but it feels good.
I'm so much weaker than I used to be it's really quite sad. Should come back quick though with the proper training.

I've been working EXTENSIVELY on stretching to get some flexibility back and elasticity in my muscles. I've made great headway with that
Couldn't even really touch either toe a week ago and now I can get almost my whole hand past so that feels good. Probably 6-7" more reach with that
Nov 15 2014 01:33pm
This is me "fat and deconditioned". Haven't been to the gym in nearly 3 1/2 years. Anyway... 1 week progress pics. Just taken. No gym swole or nothing. Straight out of bed. Also, I forgot how much more sleep you need when your body is recovering from this. Holy shit I need like 3+ hrs more a night to feel rested.

Gold: 13,142.01
Nov 15 2014 02:36pm
Quote (rlebar @ Nov 15 2014 03:33pm)
This is me "fat and deconditioned". Haven't been to the gym in nearly 3 1/2 years. Anyway... 1 week progress pics. Just taken. No gym swole or nothing. Straight out of bed. Also, I forgot how much more sleep you need when your body is recovering from this. Holy shit I need like 3+ hrs more a night to feel rested.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/rlebar/Mobile%20Uploads/20141115_142243_zpscfgllnwh.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/rlebar/Mobile%20Uploads/20141115_142424_zpssochvc2h.jpg

That's fat? ... You have a six pack ... I don't even have that yet ...
Nov 15 2014 02:39pm
Quote (PartyInMyPants @ 15 Nov 2014 16:36)
That's fat? ... You have a six pack ... I don't even have that yet ...

apparently that's me at 14.7%bf :rofl:

But in all seriousness this year has been my fattest ever. I can grab a good bit around the waist despite the visible abs. I have good genetics
Nov 22 2014 11:56am
Another week in the books. Monday I hurt myself doing deads. I think it's my Sacro-Iliac joint. It's been bugging me all week but seems to be recovering well.
Getting out of bed tuesday morning was agony but whatever. No time lost at the gym regardless. I couldn't do squats Thursday because of it but I probably shouldn't be doing
them so soon after starting again at the gym anyway. The injury is likely a result of the hamstring weakness. Who knows. I hurt myself just after finishing warming up so I mean it's not
like I wasn't warm or pushing heavy weights. I won't be doing deads come Monday, sadly.

Overall I'm roughly the same weight, maybe a 1lb heavier. Getting stronger though, I can feel that, which is nice.

everything is pretty well constantly sore. Stretching helps and flexibility is moving along nicely.

Feels good to be in the gym again after such a long absense.

This post was edited by rlebar on Nov 22 2014 11:57am
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll